Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0356  (Read 714 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0356
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
Robservations - #356

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0356

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
The tall clock in the foyer had a bottom panel made of cloth until a few eps. ago, when it suddenly sported a wooden panel. Whenever I see Julia hide her notebook, I wonder if she had seen the wonderfully romantic movie Laura.

Once again, Carolyn has qualms at the thought of killing Julia.

In full Mistress-of-Collinwood mode, Elizabeth scolds her daughter (at last!) for being rude to their guest and even insists that Carolyn apologize for her discourtesy to Julia--which she does, but with very bad grace.

We get another fine Barnabas-Julia duel: e tells her, I know how you’ve been hypnotizing Vicki into withdrawing from me. Unrepentant and practical, Julia answers, I did it because pursuing Vicki is a mistake. I want her, retorts Barnabas imperiously, and that’s the only thing that matters. He is impervious to Julia's insistence that even now, Vicki is all for Burke. Barnabas accuses Julia of undermining his plans; Julia insists he still needs her. You betrayed me, Barnabas insists. Nothing can change the way I feel about you now. Nothing? Julia asks a trifle forlornly, perhaps thinking of everything--including Dave Woodard--she has sacrificed for his sake. Oblivious of anyone’s pain but his own, Barnabas warns her, Sooner or later I will get my hands on the notebook, and when I do… Well, I don’t have to tell you what will happen, do I? Julia--who once told Vicki that she was afraid of nothing--is plainly terrified.

Poor Julia returns to the Great House, only to face another duel with Carolyn. As Carolyn storms up the stairs, she notices that the tall foyer clock reads 9:00--but it is not striking the hour!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »
Of all the places to hide her diary, she picks a high traffic area.  The basement, west wing, or perhaps the library seem much safer.  I thought that the door to the clock was a recent addition.  The camera intrudes into the scene with Barnabas and Carolyn in the old house. Carolyn is to secretly watch Hoffman. Meanwhile in the Great House Julia tells Mrs. Stoddard she may leave in a week. Why not now?  Julia goes to the Old House in the storm and arrives with a noticably wet coat. Barnabas reveals he knows her plots against him.  Back at the Great House, Carolyn notices the clock has not chimed as somehow Julia has foolishly jammed the clock with her diary.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:45:32 AM »
My favorite part(s) of this episode hands down is/are Bennett's scenes. Well said, DarkLady, Liz is in 'full Mistress mode', lol, and I love it! I thoroughly enjoyed every second of Joan's performances. One of the main reasons Liz is my favorite character is the dignity, poise & class she displays as mistress, her tenderness and protective nature towards David, and her defiance as defender of the Collins name and holdings. And the way she puts Roger in his place is icing on the cake.

My favorite Liz moment in this ep: Carolyn: You act as though this were her house, not ours! Liz: Carolyn...it's my house.

I'm with Barnabas on this. That is, I can see where he is coming from. Julia betrayed his trust. You can't expect him to want her around any more. Now, it will be interesting to see how she gets back in to his good graces.

I wonder why Willie and Carolyn display two totally different types of subservience -- Willie is reluctant and questioning. Carolyn is obsequious and eager.

Pretty good ending with Carolyn noticing the grandfather clock not striking - suspenseful - knowing what we know.

Barrett and Frid seemed somewhat unrehearsed which is generally odd for a Monday episode. Even the crew seems a bit off their game. (I'm assuming the strike is over.) It appears as though the cigarette smoking has all but stopped. For whatever reason, I especially enjoyed the sounds of the storm.  And yes, ad, I noticed Julia's wet jacket after her arrival at the Old House. I remember a discussion long ago about how many times physical evidence of weather was actually seen. I don't recall this moment as being brought up -- but it was ages ago and perhaps in an arena other than the DSForums.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »
The camera intrudes into the scene with Barnabas and Carolyn in the old house.

When I think of the NABET strike that caused the recasting of Dr. Woodard and the Eagle Hill Cemetery's caretaker, I tend to only think of it in terms of those eps in October. But when I was doing some research on the Internet about the strike, I was surprised to learn that the technicians were on strike up until November 25th. So, that probably means that inexperienced people were still filling in as cameramen until that time, and that's why we occasionally have camera goofs like the one in the this ep (which was taped on November 2nd):

So, I suppose we should probably cut those inexperienced people a bit more slack than we normally do, particularly when we've heard anecdotes about how heavy those cameras were to move around.  [santa_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:17:30 AM »
That probably explains why we recently saw the windows overs the old house door that usually remain unseen in the tighter and lower angles that they usually have in the Old House scenes.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times