Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0486  (Read 771 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0486
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
Robservations #486

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0486

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
Cassandra wins – or does she? Cass successfully stops the experiment via voodoo. Still alive, Barn is convinced it is Cass who has thrown a monkey wrench into the works. He goes to Collinwood, confronts her and at one point threatens to destroy her by fire – I loved Frid’s delivery of that line. Cass feigns incredulity as per usual. Barn pleads with Cass in a roundabout way to let Lang live so the experiment can continue. Now that Barn’s had a taste of the good life, he doesn’t want to let it go, and who can blame him? I really feel for the character at this precise point in time. A long dramatically dying Lang records a message for Barn & Jules stating (in a nutshell) that if the experiment succeeds Barn will stay free of the curse as long as Adam lives. Barn convinces Jules to take on the experiment. While studying Lang’s notes, Julia falls asleep and has the dream. This time its Mrs. Johnson she follows to the room of doors.

Afterthoughts: I guessed wrong about what was behind Julia’s door. I expected it to be the syringe she prepared to kill Woodard. I totally don’t get the bridal skeleton for Julia. Anybody? I was less than impressed with Hall’s Dream Curse performance. I think I am over my enthusiasm for the Dream Curse.

Mrs. J’s confrontation with Cass was ‘fun’ but unfortunately (for Addison Powell, not me) it was Lang’s death sentence.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »
The music on the tape recorder is the first movement of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik--"A Little Night Music."  [ghost_cheesy]

When Barn tells Cassangelique that Eric Lang is dead, she smiles faintly--perhaps indulging in a little professional pride.

Barnabas hurries back to the lab--by taxi? He tells Julia that he refuses to become a vampire again and insists on continuing the experiment, even though Julia is afraid she can't succeed. He finally pleads, These past few weeks of freedom have taught me what life really is. You wouldn't let me go back into the dark. This is enough to move Julia, even though she still has doubts.

Maybe Julia's dream of a skeleton bride is a reflection of her own desire for Barnabas--just a sudden hypothesis. While she is opening the doors in the dream, we can clearly see a smoke machine between two of them.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:29:38 AM »
Eric begs Julia who becomes hysterical to continue the experiment. Eric records on an off tape recorder which the camera quickly hides from view. I wish the music playing had been Hallelujah. It was what I said when Julia informed Barnabas that Lang was dead.  Julia has the dream ending with her no no scrunchy face.
Whoever Powell was involved with must have become disillusioned and cast him off, thankfully.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
Bye bye Eric.   Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out of the here and now.

[spoiler]Addison Powell is not entirely done torturing the world and adjacent innocent planets yet, unfortunately.   That's assuming that the original braodcasts of AP's episodes are only just now reaching worlds 45 light years away...   His tape recording, the readings of which will vary from one instance to another despite its being the very same tape recording each time, will live on, and pester and irritate all.[/spoiler]

Monster lab music debuts, a variation and adding-on-to of already-existing background music.   It's funny that I hear it and immediately think "Frankenstein lab music", even though I could not have told anyone what I thought Frankensteiny music sounded like.   Eighth use of word "vampire", by Lang.   Is the counting old yet?!   Could his death scene be the worst DS melodrama, ever?   The idea of his last-moment, unwitnessed dying instructions, using what happened to be at hand, a reel-to-reel in the middle of a taped symphony on the desk in front of him, was actually clever.   It also shows that Lang cared about his research more than his own life and well-being, which at least says something laudible about him, as misguided and nuts as he was.

Wow, Ang didn't even mean to kill Lang!   Mrs. Johnson's the real culprit!   You killed Lang Mrs J!  You bastard!!

Dream #4:   Julia is unscared and unphased by skull, is very nonchalant, but since the skull is tiny, on a stick, and looking elsewhere than in her direction, not surprising.   Grayson does her time in dry ice dreamland, probably wondering about contracts and agents and other jobs and things.   Guillotine, big deal, what's behind door #3?   Good for Julesia, now innoculated against headless-body-hysteria apparently.   The only thing that spooks her is the worst cleavage in the world, from Josette I guess, since the music box music is playing, but then it always does.   You made sense of it probably, DL.   I assumed Josette.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor