Author Topic: Sexual Harassment at the Collinsport Inn Diner?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Sexual Harassment at the Collinsport Inn Diner?
« on: April 11, 2004, 01:42:55 PM »
Hi all,

I have been rewatching the series from the beginning, and just yestersday watched episode #128, which was taped on 12/14/1966. This is probably my fouth time watching the show via my MPI videos, and it amazes me that I haven't took note of this scene in the diner pictured below.
The conversation/argument between Joe & Maggie that preceded this scene was about the death of Mathew Morgan, and the ghost of Josette Collins. Joe and Maggie disagree on what is or is not reality and Joe states to Maggie the following: "You're getting to be a pretty brassy dame, you know that? As he says this he reaches out and pats/spanks Maggie on the right butt cheek.  She just laughs as she walks back behind the counter.
I was shocked to see this. Not only did I find this action to be totally out of character for someone like Joe Haskell, but I'm sure it wasn't commonplace in 1966 to go around slapping/patting women on the tush. Maggie's lack of response to this action was also shocking. I couldn't even imagine this taking place now a days between two people who are more or less just friends, without something being said.  (Maggie and Joe's relationship had yet to blossom up to this point)I wonder how this slipped by those ever present studio censors, unless it was indeed accepted behavior back then for a man to discipline a woman is this manner. If it was acceptable, you've come a long way baby.  ;)

Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Sexual Harassment at the Collinsport Inn Diner?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 03:05:30 PM »
Not only did I find this action to be totally out of character for someone like Joe Haskell, but I'm sure it wasn't commonplace in 1966 to go around slapping/patting women on the tush. Maggie's lack of response to this action was also shocking.

Actually, it was VERY commonplace for women, especially in "service" jobs like waitressing to be patted and pinched by their male customers, and yes, she would have smiled and made light of it because she needed the damn job.  Today, she'd pour the coffee in his lap AND sue the bastard....but back then it was something they "had to put up with".

The Women's Rights movement was still a bit in the future.....after the women among the Vietnam War protesters got tired of making coffee and running the mimeograph machines for the men and decided to protest for their own rights.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 04:32:07 PM »
I was shocked to see this. Not only did I find this action to be totally out of character for someone like Joe Haskell

I agree, Joe Haskell seemed like such a nice, gentle man, very respectful. Early JH I guess before they made him a real person. What a riot though. I'm sure it's a scene the GH staff would like to forget.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:06:55 AM »
This is interesting!  I like this.  Not so much because of what he did, but the fact that it's unusual and out of place for DS.

Not only did I find this action to be totally out of character for someone like Joe Haskell, but I'm sure it wasn't commonplace in 1966 to go around slapping/patting women on the tush. Maggie's lack of response to this action was also shocking.

Yeah, but didn't their relationship have sort of a relaxed familiarity to it -- like they'd been friends for a long time?  Can't remember these shows much.

Okay --
I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this.  Can anyone come up with ANOTHER scene in DS where an actor pats another on the butt??
You don't see it clearly like in Bobubas' picture, but the actors are very close, the position of actor #1's arm is obvious, he pats actor #2 two or three times, and you hear it very clearly.
It does not seem scripted.  It comes across as impromptu.  It's a brilliant scene IMHO and one of my very all-time favorites.  Here's a hint:  It takes place in 1897.  [thumb]

[gring] 
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 04:32:25 PM »
Actually, it was VERY commonplace for women, especially in "service" jobs like waitressing to be patted and pinched by their male customers, and yes, she would have smiled and made light of it because she needed the damn job.  Today, she'd pour the coffee in his lap AND sue the bastard....but back then it was something they "had to put up with".

The Women's Rights movement was still a bit in the future.....after the women among the Vietnam War protesters got tired of making coffee and running the mimeograph machines for the men and decided to protest for their own rights.

So true Rainey but i'll be bad and say she might have tolerated that from cute Joe and not
the weird Willie or a lesser male

jennifer
i met Abbie Hoffman's first wife and she told me that was how a lot of women
got into the woman's movement!
also have to had you are right Bob  as one of our touchy  Mds tried that
the other day on me and i told him he might need a surgeon if he tried it again(of course in a sweet way ;D}
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 04:51:28 PM »
i met Abbie Hoffman's first wife and she told me that was how a lot of women got into the woman's movement!

I'm sure.....I was speaking from personal experience... ;)

...... one of our touchy  Mds tried that the other day on me and i told him he might need a surgeon if he tried it again...

How many years later.....and a Nurse still has to tell a Doctor this?  Tell me we've "come a long way, baby...."   :P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 05:22:19 PM »
Yes to all of it.

Even though it appears to be fashionable nowadays to demonize feminism, I'd like to see today's young women putting up with the kind of stuff women had to endure simply to survive back in the bad old days.  This cute little scene with cute little Joe (hmmm, not so LITTLE) doesn't begin to convey the drudgery and the horror.

I am so sick and tired of hearing people say Oh, I support women's rights but I'm not [one of those crazy, loopy] Feminists.

And I'm wandering awfully far afield from DS here.

Connie, I can't think which scene you mean.  I just hope Roger Davis wasn't involved.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 06:33:47 PM »
It was probably a playful ad-lib, and more of a reflection of the relationship between Joel and KLS than anything else.  Apparently, they were very close in real life.  In that context, it's actually rather sweet, seeing that level of comfort and trust between two actors.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 07:42:36 PM »
I just hope Roger Davis wasn't involved.

God no.  [6184]  The scene was between to male actors.

[winkb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 08:04:27 PM »
Connie,

I think Karlen patted Frid's behind at one time.  Was that in 1897?  Yeah, Carl and Barnabas-- that could be it.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 08:25:24 PM »
I think Karlen patted Frid's behind at one time.  Was that in 1897?  Yeah, Carl and Barnabas-- that could be it.

Yes!  We have a winner (ding ding).
Episode #706.
This scene with Karlen and Frid is so enthralling.  It's like Karlen is playing with him and the looks/reaction he elicits from Frid are priceless, I think.  The whole scene is just magical.

Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 01:01:59 AM »
Heeheehee!  I must dig that episode out!