Author Topic: Nathan Forbes.....who can figure him out?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nathan Forbes.....who can figure him out?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 08:11:09 AM »
We all know what kind of person Nathan Forbes is, but what was he doing in Collinsport
in the first place. Was he sent to Collinsport by the Navy to over see the construction of
a ship being built by the Collins family for the Navy? Has he been a friend to Barnabas and
the rest of the Collins family before he joined the Navy? If so, did Barnabas and Joshua
knew that Forbes was married to Suki?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 08:43:37 AM »
He wouldn't have been free to go to Collinsport without being ordered there, so I always pictured something naval mixed in with the Collins literal port, at least a naval ship anchored there where he worked.   It seemed odd that Joshua could get him into trouble with the Navy, as if he had authority over them, but that seemed as if it must be interesting historical detail that I'm not familiar with, not a mistake.

Gerard makes some sense of it here.   I think there was a transition period when Trask started bullying him, but we saw very little of it on the surface.   It also occurred to me reading Gerard's post (this is something I think about) that people may not be "good" or "bad" when unchallenged.  We may hover around a neutral midpoint on the good-bad scale.   Then when some event comes along that calls for a moral response, we choose and become better or worse people, perhaps temporarily.

This was leading into another point, but I've forgotten it completely.  That happens a lot to me.  I may be back here if I remember.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 07:47:06 PM »
We all know what kind of person Nathan Forbes is, but what was he doing in Collinsport
in the first place. Was he sent to Collinsport by the Navy to over see the construction of
a ship being built by the Collins family for the Navy? Has he been a friend to Barnabas and
the rest of the Collins family before he joined the Navy? If so, did Barnabas and Joshua
knew that Forbes was married to Suki?

From what I've seen, Nathan was there in Collinsport overseeing the plans of a ship for the navy made by the Collinses. He was friends with Barnabas and the family at one point, but no, no one knew that Nathan already had a wife [spoiler] until Millicent discovered the marriage license in Suki's belongings after her murder. [/spoiler] Joshua would never have tolerated a member of his family getting involved with someone already married for fear of scandal.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
Nathan was in charge of something?  Really?  Well not surprisingly he wasn't very good at it, considering he was hanging around Collinwood every day...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor