Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Internet Explorer 7
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:56:47 PM »
I've been hearing bad things about Internet Explorer 7 (what a surprise!) and wonder if anyone has started using it yet? Microsoft began pushing IE 7 out on November 1st, and if WinXP SP2 users have automatic updates set, they may already have IE 7 on their computers without even being aware of it.  :-

Beyond any problems, I'm actually most interested to know if IE 7 will actually display some features of the forum's bloodred theme correctly, which is something that IE 6 does not do.  >:(  For instance, IE 6 displays the History box in the header like this:

whereas it should look like this, without the horizontal navigation bar at the bottom (although not necessarily with the orange direction buttons because those are a part of Firefox's Halloween theme):

And speaking if Firefox's Halloween theme, it's actually quite cool:

I've been enjoying it so much this month that I might actually keep it year round.  :D

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer 7
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 05:39:17 AM »
I hate it. I updated because there are suddenly whole sites (Venturebros.com, mtv.com) that woudln't display. Now that I have IE7, they still won't.

More bad news: Not only does your box still looks like it did in IE6, but occasionally everything disappears, leaving only the red background. I have to hit refresh to get anything.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 05:43:07 AM »
As soon as I posted:

"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:03:01 PM »
Thanks for the info, Housefly Cameo. I suppose it was too much to ask for Microsoft to honor their pledge to support more CSS2 features in IE7.  ::)  But what I think is really sad is that, from what I've been reading this week, IE7 is even screwing up the display of Web sites that IE6 displays correctly!  >:(

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:55:10 AM »
But what I think is really sad is that, from what I've been reading this week, IE7 is even screwing up the display of Web sites that IE6 displays correctly!

Lydia's law of software:  Never, ever ask that a flaw in a program be fixed.  The fixing will entail the creation of a new and worse flaw.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 02:25:35 AM »
The fun never ends. IE7 is also causing error messages on startup for users who have installed software provided by their DSL service -- Motive Smartbridge, versions of which are bundled with SBC/Yahoo Internet software among others. It's a "known" issue, and the fix is relatively simple (renaming all instances of psapi.dll that are not in the Windows folder), but there's no telling how many users are going to be affected by it. It's more of an annoyance than a functionality problem. Nevertheless, it's irritating.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:16:56 AM »
I have also heard horror stories from some friends about Internet 7.  I downloaded it but no longer use IE as my primary browser.  I think it was MB through his posts here that convinced me to try Mozilla Firefox and ever since I downloaded that baby a few months, I refuse to use anything else.  When I first downloaded IE I experienced some weirdness when trying open the damn thing.  I gave up on it and returned merrily to my new favorite browser - Mozilla Firefox.

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 05:02:26 AM »
IE7 is also causing error messages on startup for users who have installed software provided by their DSL service

Apparently it's also causing problems with McAfee products.  ::)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 05:33:50 AM »
And to think the technology department at my college had outlawed IE in all forms a couple semesters ago (we have so many computers in use there--both Macs and PC's--that it became a moral imperative ;))...we mainly use Firefox.

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 04:48:37 AM »
Beyond any problems, I'm actually most interested to know if IE 7 will actually display some features of the forum's bloodred theme correctly, which is something that IE 6 does not do.
I noticed in Friday (11/17/06) night's slideshow that when I had scrolled down to read a lengthy caption, when I clicked next, the next image ("After having caught Daphne...") appeared in a "scrolled down" position, I had to scroll up. This does not occur in Firefox.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 10:06:45 PM »
I hate it. I updated because there are suddenly whole sites (Venturebros.com, mtv.com) that woudln't display. Now that I have IE7, they still won't.

More bad news: Not only does your box still looks like it did in IE6, but occasionally everything disappears, leaving only the red background. I have to hit refresh to get anything.

I absolutely HATE IE7!!!!!!!  The only reason I downloaded it was because I have automatic updates at work and DID NOT realize I was downloading it!  It totally sucks and screws up these Forum pages.  Right now I have ERROR ON PAGE listed in the bottom left corner although I've done NOTHING but read all the posts in this thread.  I can only click on smiley's about 50% of the time, the other 50% I get what Housefly described and it kicks me out to the original post I was replying to so if I've written a lengthy reply, like this one, I lose everything.  It also does this if I try to BOLD, UNDERLINE, ITALISIZE or change font size or color.  Then there's the whole 'you have to hit ALT' to get any drop-down menu's, what a royal pain in the ass.  Bobubas is correct w/his avatar-Bill Gates is the Gates of Hell!

Does anyone know of a way to go back to IE 6?  Please, please, please!  I will never upgrade at home, deliberately anyway, and will be ever vigilant about ANY updates my home computer mentions to me. 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 10:10:40 PM »
Does anyone know of a way to go back to IE 6?

Try installing IE6 over it.  If that doesn't work, send me a PM and I'll explain how to uninstall it.