Author Topic: Barbara Steele  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Barbara Steele
« on: September 29, 2003, 06:16:11 PM »
For at least a month now, I've been meaning to share the news that Barbara Steele (who played Dr. Julia Hoffman in the 1990 remake of Dark Shadows) is credited as a producer (I may be wrong, but I think she's what is described in the Industry as a "line producer") for the new camp hit, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, on Bravo.

I really hope that Barbara was not involved in the detestable "Boy meets boy."  I watched a few episodes of that, and I wouldn't like to think of her being part of something that so shamelessly manipulated an individual's emotional life.

On the other hand, who in their right mind signs onto a reality show in the hope of finding a boyfriend?

puzzling, but happy to know that Barbara is gainfully employed,

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Barbara Steele
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 07:02:18 PM »
I detest "reality tv" with a fiery passion.  I never, ever, ever watch it.

Except for "Queer Eye......" which is so damned hilarious, I end up gasping for breath every time.  I keep asking "where do they FIND these pathetic shlubs, and how do they talk them into submitting to such ridicule?

But I have a question, Steve.....how would you know that the "Barbara Steele" listed in the credits is THE Barbara Steele?......I went to school with not one but TWO girls with that same name!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 07:56:34 PM »
Nice avatar, Raineypark!

I attended TWO Mabon rituals this past weekend, one of which I priested at. So I'm definitely getting that 'tis the season feeling.

Gothick

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 08:00:43 PM »
   I agree with you on "Boy Meets Boy," Gothick.  I can never watch the reality shows like that---the whole, "Who will he/she pick?"  "Who's the backstabber?", etc etc.  You know the odds are likely that they will take their money and split.  Then you have the "contestants", who think that they're actors and try to turn it into a whole blown-out soap opera.........yadda, yadda, yadda............

But then we have Queer Eye!  This is the one reality show that I will watch.  I don't think so much that the guys on there are forced into being "ridiculed" by the Fab five.  Some of them actually want to help themselves be better in order to succeed on their "missions."  Besides, you gotta love their tact.   ;D

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 09:12:48 PM »
I stuck it thru with Boy Meets Boy. Mostly to see if my gaydar was still in perfect working order.  ;D

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 10:18:18 PM »
Well as to how do we know for sure .. I dunno. . IMDB.Com has it listed as a producer credit for the "same" BS.  I Love QE--the first 20 mins are always a riot. . .But as all networks do nowadays . .they're gonna run it into the ground with overplay. . . now the TV Execs are suffering from the short-attention span issue that is plaguing all of America. . .
Julia99

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 10:24:47 PM »
Is it the same Barbara Steele of so  many Vincent Price/horror movies of the mid 60s?
If so, any guestimate on her age?
What is a line producer?

Patti

okay:
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0824489/#producer

should take you there ;)

OH MY GOSH...LOOK AT WHO THE SERIES WAS CREATED BY!!!
Well lookey-lookey...she had some production stuff on War & Rembrance & Winds of War...small world, aint it!!
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 11:01:01 PM »
I believe Barbara did production work on one of the DS MPI anniversary tapes as well.  As far as I know, she has been involved in production since at least the early Eighties.

About 8 years or so ago there was a rumor that Barbara, Martine Beswick, and Mary Woronov were going to portray a trio of vampire actresses of a certain age who roamed the corridors of various fan conventions literally feeding off their admirers.  I'm sorry that never seems to have come to anything--I thought the idea sounded really rich!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 11:19:17 PM »
there was a rumor that Barbara, Martine Beswick, and Mary Woronov were going to portray a trio of vampire actresses of a certain age who roamed the corridors of various fan conventions literally feeding off their admirers.  I'm sorry that never seems to have come to anything--I thought the idea sounded really rich!

THAT would have been a hoot. Too bad, like so many other great ideas, nothing ever came of it.  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 11:24:44 PM »
OH MY GOSH...LOOK AT WHO THE SERIES WAS CREATED BY!!!

LOL, you mean David Collins.  The first time I saw that it gave me a start too.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 12:56:26 AM »
About 8 years or so ago there was a rumor that Barbara, Martine Beswick, and Mary Woronov were going to portray a trio of vampire actresses of a certain age who roamed the corridors of various fan conventions literally feeding off their admirers.

Luckily someone realised that real fans would surely murder one another in the streets for the chance to play bit parts...... and decided against the otherwise brilliant idea.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 02:14:40 AM »
About 8 years or so ago there was a rumor that Barbara, Martine Beswick, and Mary Woronov were going to portray a trio of vampire actresses of a certain age who roamed the corridors of various fan conventions literally feeding off their admirers.  I'm sorry that never seems to have come to anything--I thought the idea sounded really rich!

THE Martine Beswick of "Dr. Jekyl and Sister Hyde" fame, a true cinematic masterpiece!  Hub-a, Hub-a!!!