Author Topic: adam(the big louse)  (Read 1848 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
adam(the big louse)
« on: November 06, 2004, 10:33:45 PM »
i'm still struggling to get through the(seemingly interminal)adam story.the moment when i never have to look at this idiotic character again cannot some soon enough!however...

during the show's original run was this a popular character/story?and what about robert rodan?he's one of the very few actors who never plays another character.does anyone know why he was never brought back after the adam story(mercifully)ends? :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: adam(the big louse)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 03:11:41 AM »
I also was never a fan of the Adam storyline.  I remember as a kid watching it the first time, the only portion of it that frightened me (well, I was only 11) was when he abducted Carolyn.  Beyond that, it all rather bored me.  It is surprising that they never brought Robert Rodan back to do another character.  However, the way they left it hanging at the end of the plot as to what happened to Adam, maybe they thought of bringing him back later on, but just never got around to it.

Gerard

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 03:52:19 AM »
what about robert rodan?he's one of the very few actors who never plays another character.does anyone know why he was never brought back after the adam story(mercifully)ends? :P

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but at Festivals Rodan has joked that he asked Dan Curtis for a raise and shortly thereafter his character made a speedy departure from the show.  Maybe this is why he never turned up as another character later on.

SPOILER AHEAD:

[spoiler]Although according to Sam Hall's outline for the 1971 season that never was, Adam was supposed to return to Collinwood as a polished, urbane gentleman and once again romance Carolyn.  Ultimately though, the characters were to remain good friends.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 01:25:32 AM »
SPOILER

[spoiler]At the end of the Adam story, Professor Stokes told Adam he was sending him to a clinic for plastic surgery.  Perhaps this was their way of getting a new actor to play the role down the road if they did decide to bring him back later on.

Adam is not ever mentioned again until Parallel Time 1970 when Barnabas and Julia see Roxanne on Tim Stoke's table and comment on the similarities to Adam.[/spoiler]

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 06:39:52 AM »
i'm glad you brought this up because i agree i detested Adam! He was worse than any of Rd's roles(all right Ned s*cked)
hated the whole storyline and Eve too!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 02:29:27 AM »
as much as "adam" the character proper annoys me i think that perhaps i'm extra-hard on him because he's sort of a personified metaphor for what i feel is a wrong turn the show takes in 1968.it infuriates me that the supernatural characters hijack the story during this time...away from what it's really supposed to be about.they create almost a whole second cast that has nothing to do with anything else that ever happened on the show before(even barnabas drops out of site for periods of time).the first couple of years(intentionally or not)set-up a sort of mythology that this dumb story goes outside of.it's too gimiky. ::)

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 07:29:03 AM »
I actually like the beginning of the Adam storyline. I just watched it all the way through for the first time since I first saw it on the Sci Fi Channel years ago. I feel really sorry for him in the beginning, and I thought that Barnabas and Julia handled it all very badly. Then there's the classic scenes between Adam and Willie (the chicken leg!). I thought Robert Rodan did a really good job and also thought that a lot of his scenes with Nancy Barrett were really sweet and sad. I think in the end that the storyline just went on for too long, and it did get tiring seeing Adam being a jerk and kidnapping Vicki too many times, although I stil always felt that Adam was completely justified in being a jerk--he was treated really badly by Barnabas and Julia, the two people who brought him to life. I do see though, as mentioned above, how the storyline really veered away from what the show had been like up until that point, and it really isn't as compelling, although Nicholas Blair is one of my favorite DS characters, and I really enjoyed Marie Wallace as Eve--she really seemed to enjoy the part! I guess one of the things I love about DS is that even when there's a storyline that I don't llike that much, there's always something else going on at the same time that makes it worth it. Right now I'm at the beginning of the Quentin's ghost storyline, and while Amy's high-pitched over-emoting really gets on my nerves (if she just didn't seem like she was yelling all of her lines!), I love the storyline with Chris/the werewolf and the last episodes with Joe Haskell (great work by Joel Crothers!).

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 08:07:58 AM »
I liked the beginning of Adam, too.  The whole way he managed with his bad treatment by Barnabas and Julia, and Willie, especially once the Professor was teaching him.  And his relationship with Carolyn and the scenes when she was hiding hm and how that progressed - all that was interesting and held promise for a good story.  Once Nicholas got involved, it really ruined it.  Especially once he had Eve, and all he could do was mope around and complain that she didn't love him, and then believe Nicholas again as he tried to convince him that all would still come out right.  I DID  enjoy Eve.
Josette

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 05:59:44 PM »
the early part of the story did have some interesting potential(although the pitch of it was too loud i thought).and he did have a few sweet scenes with carolyn(although she's not using her best judgement to say the least).but once nicky gets involved it devolves into "creature double feature"(a satanic master race,is that correct???).it's just not sophisticated. ::)

but all this being said...i do always find scenes and elements to the show i like.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »
Let me put it this way: I love the totally-innocent-to-the-ways-of-the-world-and-people, knows-only-a-few-words, infatuated-with-Carolyn Adam, but totally detest the unreasonable, kidnapping, always-threatening-to-kill-someone-Barnabas-loves Adam.

So you can say I love AND hate the character of Adam. Go figure. ::)