Author Topic: OT - ‘Lost in Space’ Reboot Ordered to Series by Netflix  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT - ‘Lost in Space’ Reboot Ordered to Series by Netflix
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Wow - now this may be even more interesting than the first bit of casting news:

Lost In Space: Toby Stephens to Star as John Robinson in Netflix Reboot

I love Toby Stevens! Love him in Black Sails - love him in the British show Vexed (which, if you've never seen, you simply must watch on Acorn TV) - love him in dozens of PBS adaptations. Though I can't say I've ever pictured him as John Robinson. But I'm more than willing to see what he can do with the role...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 01:41:30 AM »
The big question is who is going to play Dr. Smith.  Unless they are going back to the original concept and not including Smith.  I saw a thread about the series a couple of weeks ago where somebody was saying it would have been great except for Dr. Smith.  I thought that was funny because the whole reason why I tuned in every week was Dr. Smith and what he was going to say and do next to the Robot and Will.

Oh the pain, the pain...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 01:54:40 AM »
Well, yes - Dr. Smith quickly became the de facto central character and Jonathan Harris the de facto star, much to the chagrin of Guy Williams and June Lockhart. And the funny thing is that when Guy and June walked off the set in protest that time and missed shooting, did it really even impact the show? I can't say I noticed back in the day. And I never even knew it had happened until about fifteen years ago when I read about it on the Internet...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 02:09:55 AM »
It would be difficult to imagine the show without Dr. Smith and the robot, but that's how it was in the original pilot (the most expensive to date) that the PTB at CBS watched.  There were many differences.  First the Jupiter 2 was named, I think, the Gemini XII and had only one deck.  After blast-off, it was caught in a meteor storm that severely damaged the ship and sent it wildly off course for three years with the family and "Dr." West remaining in suspended animation until it was caught in the gravitational pull of a planet and crashed.  Fortunately, it was hospitable to human life and the "freezing tubes" opened.  Months later, the Robinsons had set up camp including gardens and domesticating several of the world's animals.  The Dr.'s Robinson and West discover a massive, deadly cold wave is approaching but before heading back to camp are attacked by the monstrous cyclops.  Will rescues them and - after Penny is found after getting lost - head south.  They take refuge in the cave city that collapses during a quake and then start sailing through the Inland Sea where they barely survive a vicious storm.  When they arrive at the opposite coast, it is a lush, warm tropical region.  As they kneel to pray, the don't realize that two aliens are watching them.  End of pilot.

The CBS execs liked it, bought it, but insisted that some turmoil must be interjected to "flesh" out the characters.  Enter the murderous Colonel Zachery Smith who was to be killed off after a few episodes, and the robot.  New scenes were shot and spliced into the pilot stretching it into five episodes.

The unaired pilot (although it did eventually air on Sci-Fi a few times and was also on the previously free Hulu, along with being included in the DVD's) was a bit of a different creature than the Smith/robot version, but it was highly dramatic and exciting, quite serious in the story-telling.  Without Smith and the Bumbling Bubblehead, it probably would've remained a straight-forward action drama, more in the vein of Star Trek, rather than becoming the fun, goof-ball attempt to counteract its main time-slot nemesis, Batman.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 02:29:25 AM »
The animosity between Major West and Doctor Smith may not have been completely in the script. I saw Mark Goddard and Jonathan Harris at a convention in Boston years ago and they were quite snippy with each other.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 10:24:44 PM »
Lost in Space: Molly Parker Lands Female Lead in Netflix Reboot

Of course, now the Internet is all aflutter questioning how two white people can have a black daughter. Apparently they don't realize there are just so many ways. And obviously it will be made clear when the show debuts, if not before...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:06 PM »
After reading Gerard's post about the original pilot, I remembered a Lost in Space comic book I stumbled across in the late 1960s or early 1970s.  I had completely forgotten about it and for all I know, I read it earlier on.  It might have been called Space Family Robinson.  It was more along the lines of the original concept so there was no Dr. Smith or Robot, as I recall.  I did read a couple of issues somehow hoping it would be more like the TV show.

I think it came out from Gold Key but that is just a guess.

It's interesting that both Dr. Smith and Barnabas Collins were "supposed to be killed off" "after a few weeks/episodes." I can't imagine my childhood without those two.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »
Fascinating--here's a Wikipedia entry on the Space Family Robinson comic book.  This must all be very familiar terrain for the better informed LIS fans out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Family_Robinson

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 12:05:19 AM »
I also bought a few issues of those comics. But because they were so different from the show, I didn't keep up with them.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:34 AM »
I remember seeing the comics in the store but I never bought them. Never all that into science fiction.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 01:04:01 AM »
And, of course, I also purchased a few issues of the comic book, originally called Space Family Robinson, in publication before Lost In Space.  LIS was originally to be called SFR, until Gold Key threatened a lawsuit.  Eventually CBS and Gold Key realized they could benefit financially off of each other and melded the two enterprises together (even though both families remained completely different) and the comic book became Lost In Space - Space Family Robinson

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
TVLine Items: Parker Posey Gets Lost in Space, ... and More
(Check out the first item.)

Quite the radical casting!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 11:10:03 PM »
It most definitely is! It will certainly change the show's dynamic!
Fade Away and Radiate