Author Topic: Who Would the Collins Family Vote For?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Who Would the Collins Family Vote For?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 11:56:32 PM »
it's difficult to say whether any given person would prefer Clinton vs. Obama since they are really pretty similar idiologically, but I can say with some level of confidence:

conservative: ROGER, Miss Winters (seems to graciously accept a subservient role in a relationship). Other possibilities include: Barnabas, Joe Haskell, Sky Rumson.

liberal: Angelique (sometimes; she confuses me a little bit), Julia, Elizabeth, and Prof Stokes. Possibly: Nicholas Blair, Carolyn

apathetic: Willie, Adam, Harry Johnson   
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 04:38:39 AM »
Going back to my previous statements now, the reason I see Elizabeth as a McCain backer is that she seems to be something of a traditionalist in many regards. Roger, at least in my opinion, might have sucked up his annoyance about his country being led by a woman due to the fact that he simply strikes me as a liberal for some reason. But not an Obama liberal; he seems more like someone who'd agree with Clinton's slightly less liberal liberal-ness. Wait, what did I just say? Anyway, Carolyn is young and hip, and seeing as how the young hepcats these days seem to be mostly backing Obama, that's where she'd go.

Since Clinton is out of the race now, I can pretty clearly see Roger sullenly claiming to refuse to choose between Obama and McCain, but eventually breaking down and voting Obama.

Just my opinion, though.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »
I just can't see Roger backing Hilary for any reason, even if it was just to suck up. Liberal he was not, at least as far as women went.

[spoiler] He absolutely HATED it when Carolyn took charge of Collinwood when Elizabeth was sent away to the hospital in Boston after Laura put her in a trance....and Carolyn was his niece too, after all, his 'kitten'. [/spoiler]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 06:39:58 AM »
That reasoning doesn't fit.  After all, Elizabeth was a woman and she was the one who had been in charge all along.  I think he just felt that Carolyn hadn't been trained for it and wasn't prepared for that kind of responsibility.
Josette

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
This is fascinating with some very thoughtful responses. Personally, I believe both Liz and Roger would vote McCain simply because they are the "ruling" class in Collinsport. Maggie and Carolyn would have gone for Hillary, but since Hillary's no longer in the running, they'd go Obama. He does have his appeal with young voters. Burke -- Republican, I'd guess. Julia would most likely have been a Hillary supporter, but I believe Stokes would go Obama. In his own way, Stokes struck me as being a liberal. Barnabas would go McCain because of the military connection and the fact his family fought in the Revolutionary War. Come to think of it, doesn't that make him a citizen? He may have claimed to have been from England, but we all know that wasn't true. He was American.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 06:14:46 PM »
Barnabas would go McCain because of the military connection and the fact his family fought in the Revolutionary War. Come to think of it, doesn't that make him a citizen? He may have claimed to have been from England, but we all know that wasn't true. He was American.

Very true that Barnabas really is a citizen. BUT he can't claim that because of his cover story of having come from England, so he can't vote. And it would be virtually impossible (unless he pays someone or even several someones off) for Barnabas to go through the process to be naturalized because that would raise far too many questions about his background - questions that can't be adequately answered from a governmental standpoint. And at any rate, one can't apply for citizenship until after spending at least five years in the US, so if we're applying today's events on the timeframe of the show, Barnabas hasn't been in Collinsport for five years. (And if we're updating the timeframe to today, well, some of the characters we're talking about could easily be dead, so they wouldn't be voting for anyone.  [b003])

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
I see what you're saying, MB. Good points all.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
That reasoning doesn't fit.  After all, Elizabeth was a woman and she was the one who had been in charge all along. 

Yes, Elizabeth was the mistress of the house, she was in charge of the family fortune, she made the rules, held all the cards. And from what I've seen Roger resented it, but he really didn't have much choice but to live with it if he expected Elizabeth to allow him to continue living there.

[spoiler] As Elizabeth once said, Roger loved money more than anything, even David. [/spoiler]

Of course Roger did mellow out in time, so who knows? Maybe his rather sexist beliefs did disappear in time and he developed more modern views.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »
Of course Roger did mellow out in time, so who knows? Maybe his rather sexist beliefs did disappear in time and he developed more modern views.

Roger may have mellowed so far as his belief in supernatural events was concerned (though he often flip-flopped in that respect  :-\), but if my observations of friends and relatives is any indication, sibling rivalries and resentments rarely mellow over time (sometimes they even intensify), and chances are Roger was always going to be under Liz' thumb, so I'm thinking you can pretty much hold onto your original belief when it comes to good ole Rog.  [wink2]

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »
It is hard for me to say which candidate the Collins would vote for. But I'm glad politics was not part
of the show during the turbulent 60's.