Author Topic: a question for THE GREAT ONE  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
a question for THE GREAT ONE
« on: January 09, 2003, 11:52:52 PM »
Dear Mysterious Benefactor:
Everyone here posts who they like (eg., Ringo may be slightly fond of TLATKLS, and Anne & Connie may be ever so slightly enamored of Quentin

and
we like to talk about which story lines we like/hate

but

I've never heard mention of who/what YOU like or don't about DS...
Who's your fav. male & female character
(uh oh, let's hope it's not XScary TokesX or Chrissy  P)!

Patti

What a Woman!

Connie

Re: a question for THE GREAT ONE
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 01:19:07 AM »
Yes.  I too, have been wondering the same thing!
We all know who Midnite likes [thumb].
dom?  Where IS he anyway?  Since he became a moderator he hardly posts any more and I forget who he likes....I miss dom's posts!
But MB never says a damned thing!!  

-CLC

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 03:55:31 AM »

How ELSE is he going to keep that whole "mysterious" thing going?  I mean really.....could he even BE MB if you knew he had the hots for Mrs. Johnson and got excited whenever anyone said "But I don't understand!!"

::) rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 08:17:57 AM »

How ELSE is he going to keep that whole "mysterious" thing going?  I mean really.....could he even BE MB if you knew he had the hots for Mrs. Johnson and got excited whenever anyone said "But I don't understand!!"

::) rainey

ROTFL Rainey
good point
jennifer(who has never revealed her favorite right Steve?)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 05:08:52 PM »
I've never heard mention of who/what YOU like or don't about DS...
Who's your fav. male & female character

Well, it's no secret what my least favorite thing about DS is [wink2], but I guess I haven't mentioned any of my favorites since we've moved to this forum. But rather than having favorite episodes or characters, I think I tend to have favorite character moments on DS. The show is filled with just so many great ones that I suppose that's one of the reasons we've all been able to enjoy DS for so long. No matter how many times we watch it, it's impossible to recall every great moment out of over 430 hours of story. So, off the top of my head, here are some of my all time DS favorites:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

1966/67:
Roger realizes David tried to kill him by sabotaging Roger's car.

Vicki - she actually has a backbone and an intelligence that's all but forgotten in later storylines. :(

Almost any scene featuring Mrs. Johnson - she's even more eccentric in these early episodes than she is later on - and that's saying something! [lghy]

Any scenes with Diana Millay as Laura - extremely witty performances (though not as well written as her 1897 incarnation).

Roger admits to Burke that he was actually responsible for the hit-and-run accident.

1967:
Any scene with John Karlen - he's just wonderful in these early episodes.

Any scene involving Jason McGuire - I think he was an incredible character in a great non-supernatural storyline, and Dennis Patrick played him to perfection.

Julia confronts Barnabas in her room when he tries to kill her.

All the scenes between Julia and Carolyn while Carolyn is under Barnabas' control.

Any scene depicting the deteriorating relationship between Julia and Barnabas.

Any scene showing Barnabas' longing to see Sarah - they're perfect counterweights to all the evil he does.

And, of course, Sarah's final confrontation of Barnabas.

1795/96:
Every scene involving Lara Parker as Angelique.

Barnabas admits he is a vampire to Joshua. Frid handles Barnabas revulsion at the admission superbly and Edmonds is equally adept at conveying Joshua's disbelief.

Naomi tells Joshua of Sarah death and both Sarah and Naomi's deaths in Barnabas' arms. Just heartbreaking.

Joshua discovers the mad Millicent locked in the tower room - one of Nancy Barrett's most brilliant performances.

1968:
Prof Stokes' first visit to the Old House in which he rambles on about the architecture and a drunken furniture maker. It's all absolutely priceless as Barnabas stands by anxious to get on with things.

Carolyn explains her track record with all the men in her life.

Cassandra discovers the very much alive Stokes at the Evans cottage, and Stokes tells her to give Vicki the message that her copy of the 18th century portrait of Angelique is a fake because he's discovered the original. The expressions on both their faces after that remark are priceless.

The dying Cassandra comes to Barnabas for forgiveness, which he cannot give.

Having been attacked by vampire Angelique in Eve's room, Barnabas realizes Angelique will always exist to torment him.

Any scene showing Joe under vampire Angelique's power - some of Joel Crothers best DS work ever!

Eve cuddles with Adam while secretly despising him and making plans to be with "Peter".

1968/69:
Liz tells Barnabas how the Widows are calling her to her "death".

Mrs. Johnson "meets" Quentin at the cottage.

In the cemetery, Julia entreats Barnabas to return from 1796.

Chris explains to Barnabas about the first time he transformed into the werewolf.

Joe witnesses Chris transform into the werewolf.

Mme. Findley becomes trapped in Quentin's room.

Maggie locked in the study as the possessed David and Amy laugh hysterically outside the door and tell her Quentin wants to meet her. This scene easily makes my list of the greatest moments on DS.

Driven out of the house by Quentin's ghost, Roger vows to return.

1897:
Quentin writhes in agony while Laura glibly recounts the story of her "death" in Alexandria.

An escaped Jenny terrorizes Judith in the drawing room.

The reading of Edith's will and shortly afterward when the newly powerful Judith has Edward dragged out of bed in the middle of the night just so she can inform him that she's moving into Edith's room - that scene is priceless!

Pansy performs her song for Barnabas, Beth and Carl. Those looks on Barnabas and Beth's faces afterward alone make this a standout scene - LOL!

Rachel dies while Tim helplessly watches.

Charity realizes that rather than spend time with her, Quentin prefers to go into town to see some "slut".

Trask confronts Barnabas at dawn.

Angelique "confesses" to Edward that she was one on vampire Barnabas' "victims".

EVERY scene with Petofi.

Barnabas terrorizes Dirk at the cottage.

Jamison prevents Beth from taking poison and learns she was going to kill herself because Quentin is to marry Angelique.

Edward questions Trask about his "visits" to see Judith at the sanitarium, knowing full well that Judith is back at Collinwood.

Quentin agonizes over betraying Barnabas for Petofi.

Leviathans:
(Yes, though it's my least favorite, I definitely have favorite moments in Leviathans ;))

Julia's entire part. Even amidst the dreadfully constructed second half of this storyline, Grayson remains a standout - particularly in the scene where Barnabas accuses Julia of being a bad detective, and Julia throws that remark back in his face after she witnesses how overly concerned he is with Carolyn.

"Grant" remembers he's Quentin.

Paul and Liz's confrontation at the Inn.

Liz unable to shoot Julia.

Carolyn at Paul's funeral.

Megan threatens Philip for disciplining Michael, then wonders what possessed her to do it.

Julia and Quentin realize Jeb has turned Barnabas into a vampire.

Angelique and Nicholas come face to face again.

Willie realizes Barnabas is again a vampire.

Roger calls Jeb "a cheap, insufferable pig!" (My sentiments exactly, Rog! [lghy])  

"Mr. & Mrs. Christopher Jennings in their vine covered cottage."

1970PT:
Carolyn's entire part - one of Nancy's most exceptional characters, IMHO.

All the scenes of Roger talking to Angelique's portrait - they're all very revealing of his character. And his asides to other characters are even more biting than RT Roger's - which is definitely no small feat! [lghy]

Will chains Barnabas in his coffin.

RT Julia vows to RT Liz that she would wait forever in the east wing room if she knew Barnabas would return to her.

Angelique revives and kills Alexis.

Will jumps to his death rather than reveal Barnabas' secret.

Barnabas agonizes that Julia may really be dead.

1995:
Julia agonizes over having betrayed Barnabas secret to the sheriff, and Barnabas forgiving her for having done so.

I've only watched these last three periods once since they became available again after their original airings, so I'm not as familiar with them as I am with the other periods, but things I remember standing out are:

1970:
Willie desperately tries to find Maggie after she's disappeared after a vampire attack.

1840/41:
Julia fearing she would die from Roxanne's attack, and Barnabas desperately trying to rescue her.

Barnabas' confrontation of Lamar at the Trask chapel after Barnabas had escaped from being imprisoned by Trask.

Any scenes with Angelique - a new, far more mature take on the character.

All of Virginia Vestoff's scenes as Samantha. Some fans don't particularly like her character, but the character isn't supposed to be likeable. And I think Vestoff played the role very well.

Chistopher Pennock's scenes as Gabriel - a role where Pennock definitely came into his own on DS.

Barnabas declarations of love for Angelique as she lays dying in his arms. Say what you will about whether or not it makes sense, it's still a great scene.

1841PT:
The whole Bramwell/Catherine relationship. Their scenes brought a whole new dimension to the Frid/Parker chemistry.

Grayson Hall's scenes as Julia Collins - definitely a complex woman.

All the scenes in the "locked room" - I've found them to be very atmospheric and suspenseful.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 05:15:15 PM »
I miss dom's posts!

Dom's been out of town for a few days, but he'll be back soon.

Some days I barely have time to breathe, much less post. [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 05:20:00 PM »
How ELSE is he going to keep that whole "mysterious" thing going?

A friend of a friend who's into Numerology recently did me (get your minds out of the gutter - NOT that way! [wink2]) and apparently I'm a 7, which supposedly means that I'm mysterious. So, I guess that means I was destined to be the MB. [winkb]

Connie

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 05:41:51 PM »
Well, it's no secret what my least favorite thing about DS is [wink2],

Well, it's a secret to me!  What IS your least favorite thing??

Signed,
Curious

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »
Well, it's a secret to me!  What IS your least favorite thing??

HELLO! Roger Davis' characters!!!!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2003, 08:14:35 PM »
Well at least ya narrowed it down to SEVENTY-ONE!

but ya left out Stokes love affair with herb [and cheeze!]

and only had TWO mentions of TLATKLS! [not even the flash of undies?????]

and I would have to seriously add the friendship between Ben Stokes and Barn.

HELLO! Roger Davis.....................

best laugh of the week!

Thanks for all the things you and Midnite do!

Seventy - one cheers,
Ringo, a humble construction worker [not REALLY  a millionaire!]

We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2003, 01:58:28 AM »
Ringo, a humble construction worker

A HUMBLE construction worker??!!  What's THAT?! :o

You're working in the wrong state, Ringo!!  Here on Long Island knowing someone in the construction trades is a thing to make your neighbors pea green with envy.  Every third old house is being extensively rennovated and every plot of grass is having a McMansion being built on it.  We have FAMILY in the business and my mother-in-law STILL has to wait her turn for new siding!!

Sure you can't live where it snows?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2003, 11:55:29 PM »
Yes.  I too, have been wondering the same thing!

dom?  Where IS he anyway?  Since he became a moderator he hardly posts any more and I forget who he likes....I miss dom's posts!

-CLC

Hi Connie, I'm right here, with you. :)

Intently reading each and every post leaves me a lot less free time to write or respond. And it takes me forever (wink to Tuffie) to write a single paragraph, unfortunately.

My favorites are Liz and Roger from the black and white days. And the B&W days in general. Love all of Clarice B's characters, and Thayer D's , too. Viki is another favorite of mine. Add the original Sam Evans to that list. Oh yeah, and the original Burke Devlin. Leviathans is a sentimental fave. Like MB, I am more into the moments and relationships the characters share between them. Laura, Burke and Roger. Liz and Roger. Liz and Viki. Liz and Carloyn. Liz and Mathew. Liz and David. (Oh hell, Liz and everybody - this makes Liz my favorite character). Viki and David. Viki and Carolyn. Viki and Burke...

Have become very fond of 1897...

dom

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2003, 12:25:32 AM »

the B&W days in general. .... and Thayer D's , too. ........Leviathans is a sentimental fave. dom

Ok, dom, I'm with ya on two outta three! [Ringo does Johnny Carson-style double-take on Levvies][puke]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Connie

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2003, 12:58:15 AM »
Hi Connie, I'm right here, with you. :)

Well, at least SOMEONE is.  :'(

I notice that among ALL the people listed, poor Quentin's name doesn't show up.  

Hoping this is a mere oversight,
I am,
-CLC

;D

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2003, 07:03:38 AM »
It would seem MB that you're something of a Grayson Hall fan. . .
Julia99