Author Topic: OT: Night of the Iguana  (Read 2645 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: OT: Night of the Iguana
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 05:15:07 AM »
I am currently watchiing The Devil's Daughter with my beloved Jonathan and I am sad he does not seem to have a speaking part.  The movie is not over yet but he sure looks good!!!

I like the movie but I do wish the DVD used a better print source. I hope you enjoy it.

(edited by admin)
May you die before you want too.

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »
Okay the movie ended.  The ending well.. it was .. it sucked!!  My beautiful boy Jonathan did not speak once!!  I don't even know who the leading part went too.. who was or is that actress?  Oh well at least i got to see JF in something other than DS.   I have already seen Seizure too.  I actually liked that movie better than this one.  Oh and yes Richard Burton was absolutely terrified of Grayson's Ms. Fellowes.  I guess she did not realize she was gay in the movie.  He was gentle in not wanting to let her know he knew.  Ava Gardner's character though was not so sympathetic and let her know how butch she actually was. That sent Ms. Fellowes off the wall. I guess she had not realized it herself.  In any case her Oscar nomination for best supporting actress was well deserved.   Imagine playing a gay woman in the sixties.  Pretty impressive but than Shirley MacLaine had a similar role with Audrey Hepburn in 1961 or '62 in the movie The Children's Hour.  I believe Audrey did this one right after Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
Well, you know I've read that MS Hall was up for an Oscar for this picture. She damn well should have won. She was wonderful.
I thought it was one of the weirdest pictures I'd ever seen, but it was a good movie.
Magus - your video is in the mail. I hope you enjoy it. Give it a chance. It took me about to the end to enjoy it fully.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
Well, you know I've read that MS Hall was up for an Oscar for this picture. She damn well should have won. She was wonderful.
I thought it was one of the weirdest pictures I'd ever seen, but it was a good movie.

All things Tennessee Williams are . .well.. .weird. . I submit this as a partial list of his plays. . I know 80% of them . .dark, gothic, haunted, troubling. .weird all of 'em that I know..

The Glass Menagerie (1944) • A Streetcar Named Desire (1947) • Summer and Smoke (1948) • The Rose Tattoo (1951) • Camino Real (1953) • Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1955) • Orpheus Descending (1957) • Suddenly, Last Summer (1958) • Sweet Bird of Youth (1959) • Period of Adjustment (1960) • The Night of the Iguana (1961)
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
Weird, maybe - but unmistakably brilliant, simply amazing, sometimes depraved, and always sensitive examinations of human frailty. Not being all that familiar with his work, some of the most enjoyable moments from my high school English classes was reading and discussing a couple of his plays. And then seeing the movies or TV adaptations of those and more of his plays, including Night of the Iguana, only made me enjoy and appreciate his work more. The description gets used so often that sometimes it loses its meaning, but Williams really was a genius - and he created the type of characters that actors kill to play. And when they're in the hands of skilled actors who can understand each and every nuance of their characters in the ways that Grayson understood and embodied Judith Fellows (and other actors have), the effect is electrifying.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »
It's actually interesting that the play and screenplay for NOTI are so different.  Judith is a minor minor character in the stageplay.  Her time taken up by German Nazis or something. 

Huston wanted Judith's part beefed up and in many letters I reviewed from his papers--he gave specific directions at to what was his vision.  The many different writers plus Huston and Williams himself (who joined the crew in Mexico) went back and forth about how Judith would realize her situation . .would it be a violent realization or subtle. . .??  I liked Grayson's very subtle take on it--that moment and perhaps the bedroom apology rather than the histrionic beach scene is what I think clinched her nomination.

I agree with MB the plays are brilliant-, characters meaty for actors -but like August:Osage County--these are people I'd watch on stage or screen but didn't want to live with--
Julia99

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 04:05:04 AM »
How fascinating it must have all been and incredibly challenging JULIA99.  All of us GH WORHIPERS will always be grateful.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 04:14:46 AM »
Magus - your video is in the mail. I hope you enjoy it. Give it a chance. It took me about to the end to enjoy it fully.

Janet, thanks again, very much, and don't worry about my giving it a chance, all you had to do to sell it to me was the word "weirdest".   Tennessee Williams clinches it.   "Weird" is not a pejorative for me.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor