Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0537  (Read 924 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0537
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
Robservations #537

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0537

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
Is it possible the writers are actually having fun, showing Julia and Willie's poorly thought-out responses to Barnabas's death, and the inevitable, almost immediate falling apart of their plans?

How could anyone hate good old Barnabas, never done a soul no harm, boo hoos Willie...   If Julia thinks just putting Barnabas in the ground and skipping town will avoid trouble, then she really belongs at Wyndcliffe, and not in a supervisory capacity.   She actually talks about taking up her old position and protecting Willie with a job there.   And when the police come to question them both?   

Willie trusts Maggie, and so divulges at least two different versions of their cover story to her, in as many minutes.... oh Barnabas went away, no wait he's dead... Maggie shows no sign of suspecting Willie of foul play.   

Cassandra, ever prepared, is wearing black already.   Stokes looks as if he's wearing a period costume of some kind.

DL, I don't want to rain on your appreciation of Willie's humanization.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »
I've never understood what the writers were thinking here -- Julia just buries Barnabas, no chains, no cross, and *doesn't* realize he's going to claw his way out of the ground?  Would he be such a different vampire than he was before?  It isn't like the family knew that he was a vamp and then he was cured -- would their paltry powers of observation improve enough this time around for someone to note, "Hey, we never see Barnabas during the day anymore!  Wonder what happened to the poor guy?"   

And surely Cassandra had to know that Barnabas would return as a *very* cranky vampire ... doesn't she remember what happened the last time they tangled together, in the mausoleum the night he rose from the dead?  As she discovered when he confronted her after she iced Dr. Lang -- saved only by the timely intervention of Mrs. Johnson -- Barnabas could easily fang the hell out of her once he returned to his nosferatu-ish ways.  You'd think she'd hightail it out of town instead of waiting for him to come calling.

No one is thinking terribly straight, it seems.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:13:09 AM »
It's definitely a mess, Nicky, but I'd think a burial underground would confine Barnabas in the same way a chained coffin would.   I can't see him clawing through a coffin lid and several feet of earth, and if he could just vanish and reappear out of the ground, he'd have done it to escape before.

I think Ang is less vulnerable to being killed in 1968 than in 1795, because of whatever semi-corporeal state the Devil has put her in.   Just the fact that she's come back from death indicates that it won't be so easy for Barnabas to attack her physically this time.   Vampire Barnabas would definitely be trouble for her, though, in some way.

If the family didn't question his nocturnal habits before, I doubt they would now...  After all, he has been witnessed being out in the day by everyone for several months, so that should silence any vampire suspicions.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
Actually in the next episode....

[spoiler] Barnabas is seen in the coffin with a cross on a chain around his neck.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
Thanks, joey! I didn't remember that!

MT, you're not raining on my parade, don't worry. The whole scenario is so bat-crap nuts that anything is possible, apparently--even the idea that Willie would be happy as a gardener at Windcliff. At least he has the foresight to pack some of Barn's clothes so it will like as if he's gone away. Anyway, less than half a minute after Willie tells Maggie that he's leaving and that he'll miss Collinsport (he means her), he blabs.

Willie leaves the gravesite without the shovel. Will Julia remember to take it with her? It is gone by the time the closing credits begin. Did Julia come back for it?

Nice little catfight between Julia and Cassangelique: Julia tells Cassandra bluntly, Barnabas is dead. Although this is not quite the result Cassandra expected, she rallies quickly. Julia continues angrily, If not for you, there would be a man at the Old House who could finally savor the life you denied him all these years--who could finally perhaps find the love you were determined he would never see. Cassandra opines, I think you were in love with Barnabas-- Not nearly as much as you, Julia retorts swiftly. How dare you! Cassandra gasps. I’ll tell Roger that you’re mad! Go ahead! Julia replies defiantly. Tell Roger, tell anyone, tell all of Collinsport! Nothing will stop me from knowing what you are, and nothing will keep me from doing whatever I can about it!

Stokes (I still like his red vest) and Julia watch Adam, who out of nowhere starts breathing. Julia realizes that she's buried Barnabas alive!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »
The whole scenario is so bat-crap nuts that anything is possible, apparently--

chuckle......

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:25:27 AM »
I liked KLS as Maggie reacting to Barnabas' death. I thought that was very good. Willie was a lot more interesting today and more realistic. I'm on the fence with Julia - Hall didn't impress me at all today. Cassandra was a bore. Stokes brings Julia to Adam so Barn can be saved and it works.

Today felt like a normal soap opera with abnormal subject matter  - a carryover from yesterday's episode.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 04:39:29 AM »
I rewatched - I liked the last scenes with Hall & David very much. David was great, good dialogue for both and Hall was fun to watch here.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 02:15:59 AM »
Julia plans to leave and take Willie to work for her at Windcliff when he just got released as a patient. That really inspires confidence in the hospital run by a long absent doctor.  Hen Adam opens his eyes, Julia realizes she has buried Barnabas alive, but in reality if Adam is alive then Barnabas should stay alive also.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times