Author Topic: Robservations 10/24/02 - #702/703 - Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves  (Read 1458 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 10/24/02 - #702/703 - Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves
« on: October 23, 2002, 10:43:06 PM »
702 - (Grayson Hall) - The great house of Collinwood is haunted by an evil spirit who has possessed a child whose very life is threatened. Barnabas Collins, determined to fight the ghost, has resorted to an ancient Chinese mystic art, which may bring him into a meeting with Quentin Collins. But instead of seeing Quentin, Barnabas finds himself trapped in a chained coffin, not knowing that the time is 1897, and that Quentin Collins is alive, the prodigal son just returned to Collinwood. And as Barnabas struggles in the coffin, a gypsy walks to the mausoleum, determined to find the legendary Collins jewels.

(How things have changed--while Willie got bitten on the wrist, Sandor gets it in the neck, off camera, of course). You're dead! protests Sandor, backing away--stay away from me! He menaces him with a sword. Barnabas laughs at the puny effort, scaring Sandor into dropping the sword. "You're dead!" Sandor shouts, holding up his hands, trying to ward off the fangs-at-the-ready vampire heading for his jugular. He doesn't succeed.

Magda, thinking this might be the last time she comes here, if Sandor finds the jewels, stands grinning before the front door of Collinwood. Lost in dreams, she opens the door and enters. Quentin grabs her around the throat from behind, ordering her not to even try to scream, then chokes her, ordering her to agree. She threatens to tell Edith. Quentin finds this first name basis with his grandmother fascinating. She will throw you out again, warns Magda. Quentin bitterly reminds her that Edward tossed him out, not his grandmother, who never did and never will--if you help me. She laughs at the idea of helping him. Next time, threatens Quentin, I'll press harder.
Her smile disappears. We should avoid a next time, if possible, advises Quentin--you can by doing something for me. She holds out her hand for money. There will be, he assures her--you'll help me get lots, and in such a simple way--you control Edith. I read my cards, truthfully, insists Magda. You haven't had an honest though in your entire life, accuses Quentin--you're after the same thing I am, money, and will do anything to get it, as I will--I'll give you 1/10th of my inheritance, after my grandmother dies--you must do something simple--impress upon my grandmother how much I have changed. My cards couldn't do that much, she says. I'll promise you the money in writing, he assures her. I trust no paper, Magda insists. Quentin grabs her, threatening to hurt her. She warns him that his grandmother knows how easily she bruises. They glare at each other, then she grins.

Sandor comes to consciousness with two fresh, bloody holes in his throat. He asks Barnabas what happened--who are you? Barnabas, a drop of blood in one corner of his mouth, tells Sandor he has no time for his questions--but you must answer some of mine--who are you? and Sandor tells him--I live at the Old House--and the year is 1897. I wanted to find Quentin, mutters Barnabas, but not. . .not (by becoming a vampire again are the unspoken words). Quentin just came home, Sandor reveals, tonight--he shipped out on a boat about a year ago, but I don't know where he went. I didn't want it this way, laments Barnabas, how can I help David if I'm back in another time--how? Sandor, who finds his words puzzling, asks, how did you get here (gesturing to the coffin). Get me some clothes, orders Barnabas. Sandor says he'll get him diddly. "Oh yes you will," says Barnabas harshly--you'll do whatever I want--you know that, right?--you will get me clothes, and protect me, tell no one about me. Yes, agrees, Sandor, transfixed by the stare of the vampire.
1897, muses Barnabas, what did Julia and Stokes think?--is my body still there?--is this happening in my mind?--yet I'm here, as I was when put into the coffin, when it was chained--I must find out what I can, about Quentin, and Beth. Sandor asks what he knows about Beth. Barnabas turns the question around. She works at the big house, reports Sandor. Barnabas states, "She's in love with Quentin!" This surprises Sandor; it's news to him. He wonders how Barnabas even knows about Beth and Quentin. The trick of time, says Barnabas. Confused, Sandor says there is only one time--now. There are many times, explains Barnabas, you only have to find them. Barnabas orders the reluctant Sandor to take him home to where he lives. Sandor argues at first, but Barnabas reminds him he's a gypsy, and he knows what will happen to him if he doesn't. It's near 10, says Sandor. Barnabas tells him there are many things he must do and learn before morning. "Come," he commands Sandor, and they exit the tomb.

Quentin darts out at Magda as she's heading for the door, humorously asking if she told Grandmama she'd live forever. She knows that isn't true, says Magda--I told her what the cards said. Quentin asks if the cards suggested a sum of money for the gypsies. Magda doesn't answer. Quentin reminds her when his grandmother dies, Magda is going to need friends--and I have no prejudice against "your kind"--if Edith should die tonight, you would be forced to leave by morning. Magda says what must be. . .I might be happy to leave. Quentin says you've been here too long and have forgotten the road, you know that--did you discuss me with grandma? You were mentioned, in the cards, she says. Does Grandmama like me more now? He demands. She said many interesting things, says Magda, smiling enigmatically. He grabs her arms and demands to know if Edith told her about the secret. Don't touch me, Magda says, if you want my help. Will she help me? demands Quentin. A stunning woman in an amazingly beautiful dark pink dress comes downstairs, calling his name as if she isn't happy to see him. My lovely sister, he croons--I wondered how long it would be before the news of my arrival would take to reach you. She starts to ask what Edward will say, then spots Magda and brushes past Quentin to nastily say, "I believe Grandmama is finished with you." Cowed, Magda says she was just leaving, and does. I can't abide that woman, says Judith--how can Grandmama listen to her? She orders him into the drawing room. "Ah, a serious conversation," he quips--"Will you close the doors as Edward usually does?" Beth and the other servants listen, says Judith, they all do, all determined to find something out--everyone in the house is against each other. Quentin suggests Judith is against herself. That's a silly thing to say, she says--you saw our grandmother? People have been watching me, he says--she was delighted to see me. She's much worse tonight, says Judith. Quentin asks, "You mean than she was before I came?" Judith drops the civility and asks, why did you come back? Because I was born here, he says--I can't live my life as you do, "Contained in one little bottle, never breaking out, willing to float in the fluid and hitting the sides and even realizing it."
She calls him disgusting. He smiles and says other people have told him that. I'm not a hideous medical specimen, she says--you've always hated me, she accuses. Not true, he says--I always thought you hated me--why didn't we ever get along? Because you always said things like that, she retorts. Judith offers him a grand to leave, but since she figures it isn't enough, offers him 500 more--it's more than you'll get in the will. He asks if she's read the will. No, she says. I believe you, he says. I'm only trying to avoid trouble, says Judith. When Edward comes back, do you have any idea how he'd feel about my offer? Queries Judith. That you'd be wasting the money, predicts Quentin-and he'd be right--I can take it, walk out of the house and spend it all, even in Collinsport, and be back tomorrow--what could you do? If you gave me your word, suggests Judith. He laughs--I'm surprised how fond of me you actually are, he remarks, and thanks her. I'm fond of my peace of mind, says Judith, and begs him to accept her offer. He refuses--I want to see Jamison and want him awakened--I have a present for him, and I want to keep my promise to see the child on my return. If Jamison asks him to leave, says Judith, will you go? If he can persuade me to, says Quentin, yes--if he tells me he doesn't want me here, yes. Do you mean it? asks his sister--if you do, I'll get him. I'm a gambler, says Quentin--of course I mean it. She hustles off to get him.

Barnabas and Sandor return to the Old House. Barnabas seems sickened at the idea they live there, and at the condition of the house. Sandor says it's drafty, with a leaky roof, about ready to burn down because no one lived in it for so long. Barnabas says, forlornly, "I have. I've lived here twice in my life." Magda's here, says Sandor--what will I tell her about you? Leave it to me, says Barnabas. Perhaps she isn't here, suggests Sandor--the old lady, Mrs. Collins, keeps her late sometimes. Sandor enters and calls to his wife, getting no response. Barnabas looks over the house, mortified at what he sees. I told you it wasn't much, says Sandor, to which Barnabas regretfully replies, "It was. . .it was."

Jamison comes downstairs to the drawing room, looking eagerly for his Uncle, telling him he's much too old for hide and go seek. Quentin steps out from behind the door in a leap, scaring him; they hug. Quentin notes he's a yard bigger, not too grownup at all--you've grown two inches. Jamison calls him crazy. I brought you something, as promised, says Quentin--guess what it is. Quentin goes over to the window alcove, where he hid the gift--it's to take you away with, he tells his nephew, who is thrilled. I have to shrink it and set sail, hints Quentin--and produces a beautiful masted ship--the Jamison Collins. The boy is thrilled to see it's named for him. Jamison turns to see his Aunt Judith gazing balefully at him. "I won't tell him!" cries Jamison. "I don't want Quentin to go away! I won't tell him, I won't, I won't!" He throws himself into his uncle's arms. "There's your answer, Judith," says Quentin quietly. "You didn't come back because of Grandmama at all," blares Judith--"you came back to finish ruining Jamison!" They gaze at each other angrily.

Sandor stares into his wife's crystal ball. Magda enters. I went to the mausoleum, she says--you  weren't there!--you found them, didn't you? No, he says. She accuses him of lying--I went into the secret room--the empty coffin--the jewels had to be there. "You are wrong, Madame," says Barnabas. Magda, immediately on the alert, asks who he is and turns to Sandor for an answer. Sandor grips his throat where his vampire marks are. I can answer that one myself, says the vampire--"Barnabas Collins." She gasps--the portrait in the hall. . ."Yes, Madame," agrees Barnabas, but your husband will testify to the fact that I am not a picture. I am quite alive." No one has ever mentioned you, says Magda, as Sandor stares, holding his throat. I am going to live here, says Barnabas, and the place is in a deplorable condition--where is the portrait above the fireplace? he demands--have you pawned it?--and the large bedroom upstairs, Josette's room, who is sleeping there. I am, says Magda. "I will not have it!" insists Barnabas.
You will not have WHAT? she asks--who the hell are you, anyway?--Edith said we could live here, and she didn't mention you--I'll go ask her. Barnabas turns as if he's going to attack her. Sandor rises, muttering a warning, "Magda. . ." You have convinced Sandor, says Magda, but she is the one who keeps us there, SHE is. "Please!" Sandor begs her. There's a knock at the door. Barnabas orders them to answer it and not mention him, then slips away. Sandor orders her to do as Barnabas says--for your own sake. She asks him what has happened. He begs her to just answer the door, still clutching his throat. It's Quentin, who says, "Notice I knocked? I kept my manners, no matter what anyone else they may say." Barnabas listens and watches from the cellar door. Magda tells him to be quick. He's immediately suspicious--am I interrupting something? No, says Sandor, Magda is just tired. In expected more hospitality, says Quentin--and those interesting things my grandmother said today. I forgot them, she says. Quentin grabs her arm in an angry grip. Get out, she tells him. Something is wrong, says Quentin, and I want to know what. Nothing says Sandor nervously. "Just a nice quiet evening at home discussing my generous offer?" asks Quentin. Sandor says he isn't aware of the offer. Something is very strange here, Quentin insists. Magda tells Sandor, we can't discuss it tonight. Tomorrow, says Sandor, I will talk to her tonight if you will leave us. Quentin admits to being curious--I never knew Magda to be upset before--until tomorrow, he says, heading away with a bow. Sandor asks Magda, why didn't you tell me. She demands to know who THAT (pointing to where Barnabas retreated) is?--he has the mark of death on him, she says--tell me, she insists, then pulls his hand away from his throat. She sees the vampire marks. Sandor runs out. Magda gasps, points through the cellar bars at Barnabas. "VAMPIRE!" she cries.

NOTES: Such good shows. Selby is wonderful, Frid is wonderful, love the haughty Judith, the funny old Edith, and you can tell 1897 is going to be a hoot and a half.

The writing seems to have improved immensely, somehow, and the performers appear enervated by the new storyline. You sense everyone is having a great time with this storyline right from the beginning.

703 - (Joan Bennett) - The great house at Collinwood stands deserted. The living have sought refuge elsewhere, leaving an evil spirit to roam the cold empty corridors alone. For some, this night will seem an eternity. Barnabas Collins remains in a deep trance. He had employed the mysterious powers of the I-Ching and gone through the door to the infinite, hoping to find and defeat the spirit that haunts Collinwood. But beyond the door, he has been transported back in time to the year 1897, a time of intrigue and terror for all who live at Collinwood.

Magda calls for Sandor, "Wait, those marks!" She returns to the Old House and points at Barnabas. "I know what you are," she cries as he approaches her. "Stay away from me!" A bat comes at Magda, who covers her face in terror, crying, "No¢â‚¬¦no!"

Magda begs Barnabas to let go of her arm. He assures her he doesn't intend to harm her, as long as she upholds her end of the bargain--you and Sandor are the only ones who know about me--Sandor can't, because he's completely under my control--and you won't, either, because if you do, your husband will die--simple as that.
She rubs her hurt arm--why did you come here? she asks. That's your concern for another time, says Barnabas--your present concern is to protect me during the day. She doesn't comprehend why he's so trusting--during the day, when you're vulnerable, I could come to your coffin and destroy you. Yes, agrees Barnabas, but you won't--when your husband found me earlier this evening, he was looking for the family jewels (go ahead, laugh!), wasn't he? Right, says Magda. I know where they are, says Barn, eliciting a big grin and gleaming eyes from Magda, who agrees to make "some arrangement." On MY terms, insists Barnabas. What are your terms? she asks. Cooperation, says Barnabas, and I will give you a small, valuable part of the family jewels. He shows her a big ruby ring, which she runs lovingly across her lips. One jewel? she asks, unsatisfied. There will be more, promises Barnabas, as long as you uphold YOUR end of the bargain. She assures him, as she plays with the ring, and tries it on, that he may consider his secret safe with her and her husband. Barnabas is pleased, but offers one word of caution--do not let your greed get the better of you. She assures him they won't betray him. Barn turns the conversation to Quentin--why he is so anxious to learn the family secrets? Everyone does, says Magda, explaining that she is the spiritual advisor to Edith Collins--although she admits she isn't privy to the secret, either. How does Quentin stand with Edith? Asks Barn. She knows he's bad, but he charms her well, says Magda, gazing into her crystal ball. Is Quentin dangerous? asks Barn. Very, says Magda--why are you so curious about him? I must learn everything I can about Quentin by tomorrow night, when he will be at Collinwood, says Barnabas, and they will be receiving a strange visitor--a distant cousin from England. (oh, that old ploy!) Barnabas smiles triumphantly.

Quentin comes downstairs at Collinwood, nastily remarking to Judith that kept herself busy while he was away, ingratiating himself with Grandmama. I am trying to fulfill a family obligation, she insists. That doesn't entitle you to be guardian to the old lady's room, insists Quentin--she's MY grandmother, too! He sits beside her on the sofa. She leaps up, saying she's sorry he came back, given how peevish and boring he is. He scathingly wonders where she suddenly got backbone. When you refused my money to leave, I decided to treat you the same way you treat me and everyone else, she says--perhaps it runs in the family--you can't see Edith, she's too ill--I decided it. Quentin wants a chance to see for himself, give a second opinion. If you go to her room, warns Judith, I'll tell her you did it against her wishes--do you wish to take that risk? There's a knock at the door, preventing Quentin's retort. It's Magda, to see Edith--I have a very important message for her. It will have to wait, says Judith, Edith is too ill. Magda reminds her Mrs. Collins is always eager to hear my sage advice.
You can plead forever, says Quentin, but lioness Judith has spoken--you cannot enter the inner sanctum. Magda asks Judith again for an audience with Edith, but the stony faced Judith says, you don't advise ME. It's imperative, says Magda, a very serious warning. Judith says no again. Quentin, however, wants to hear about this warning--tell us, advises Quentin, and perhaps my dear sister will relent and allow you to go to the throne. I'm leaving the room, announces Judith, so this warning can pass from one  charlatan to another--and she flounces off. Magda insists it concerns the entire family. Quentin pipes up again, saying, we can't miss that. Judith agrees to listen. Magda advises going into the drawing room for complete privacy. Quentin tells his sister that while you hate the fraudulence of gypsies, I find it very entertaining. Yes, you would, she says sarcastically. Beth witnesses them enter the drawing room.

Magda looks into her crystal ball and tells them, it was the arrangement of the cards that gave me the warning about the stranger who will arrive tonight, after sunset. Who is it? asks Judith. Magda claims not to know his name, but says he will pretend to be a friend or perhaps a relative--don't trust him, because he is mysterious, malicious, his motives not pure. What does he look like? asks Quentin. I can't see that clearly, either, says Magda, because he is a creature of darkness, and we will all have something to lose by his presence--but Quentin the most to lose. Quentin exchanges looks with Judith, who looks perturbed. Beth listens, ear pressed to the double doors.

Beth scurries away, her hurriedly departing figure spotted by Quentin. Judith promises Magda she will pass along this warning to Edith as soon as she's strong enough to hear--I don't want her frightened. Magda warns them to expect the stranger after sundown. Rubbish, says Judith, after Magda leave, I don't understand why Grandmama takes the gypsy seriously. But now you do, points out Quentin--perhaps you should ingratiate yourself with Magda, too. Judith frowns at her brother.

Quentin visits Beth's room, entering without knocking. She is preparing a blue bundle and putting on her coat. Shouldn't you be knocking when entering a lady's room? Asks Beth, annoyed. I've never been a prisoner of custom, he says, and as a member of the family, I can go anywhere in the house. She retorts that he isn't master of the house. I might be, someday, he says. Ha, she responds--I find that concept ridiculous. Do you know something I don't? he asks. Maybe I do, says Beth--and I have to leave, to go into Collinsport. He moves close to her ear and says it's an odd time for a maidservant to go into town. I have errands to do, for myself, says Beth. It's not your day off--who gave you permission? Demands Quentin. She puts on a pretty blue bonnet, tying it under her chin. Your sister, she says--would you care to ask her? Not necessary, he says, I've already seen how Judith has taken charge since Edward's absence. "Then may I go?" she asks. He picks up the blue bundle and asks, are you taking it to a sick friend? She grabs it out of his hands and orders him to leave it alone. He finds an envelope that fell out, filled with money. "My, my, my," he says, counting it, smiling--three hundred dollars. You have no right to look through my belongings, objects Beth. This is actually yours? he demands, incredulous. Yes, she says.
Where did you get this kind of money? He asks. (implying it couldn't have been legal and was probably on her back). I saved it, she says icily. From your meager salary? he asks, you saved all that?--I have a surprise--I don't believe you. I have one for you, too, she says--I don't care. He waves the envelope at her--I think you stole it. And I think you're contemptible! She shoots back, grabbing it out of his hand--get out and leave me alone. He grabs her before she can exit and says, what I like about you is that you have my kind of spirit. I don't consider that a compliment, she says. What's in the bundle? He asks. It's none of your business, she says. I could make it my business, he says, leaning in close. And I could tell your brother Edward about it when he comes back, threatens Beth. Oh, so it was Edward who persuaded you to stay on when your mistress left, observes Quentin, grinning--I didn't realize my brother was so fond of you. What does that mean? Asks Beth. Yes, says Quentin--that would explain your sudden wealth--you and Edward, what a cozy arrangement. And Beth, rightfully, smacks his face. He grabs her and demands, did you do that out of anger or guilt? "Anger," she says, her voice shaking with fury. Don't ever do it again, he warns. Don't give me reason to, says Beth, and I won't have to--"Now leave me alone!" she demands. He says, I can't do that, for the simple reason that you don't want me to. "Don't I?" she asks, her lips inches from his--"Next you'll be telling me I stayed here all this time just waiting for you to come back." Did you? He asks. Ask my friend in Collinsport, suggests Beth--you might even learn something from him--he's a gentleman. She leaves. Quentin smiles slightly.

Dusk. There's a knock at the door. Judith answers. It's Barnabas Collins, who asks for the master of the house. Judith gazes at him, nonplused. Is something wrong? Asks Barnabas. No, she says, but clearly there is. He explains, I'm from the English branch of the family (worked once, why not again?).
It's a pleasure to meet you, he says. She introduces herself. Barnabas apologizes for not knowing who the master of the house is. Edward is acting head, explains Judith, but he isn't here right now. She invites Barnabas to wait in the drawing room while she goes to get Quentin. Barnabas stares around the drawing room.

Judith and Quentin head downstairs. She tells him she's upset because it appears what the gypsy said is coming true--this stranger arrived after sundown. It's probably just a coincidence, says Quentin. You won't say that when you see this visitor, says Judith. She looks past Quentin--at the portrait of Barnabas on the wall. If I didn't know better, she says, I'd swear it was him! Quentin suggests Magda affected you more than you realized--let's go in, suggests Quentin. Barnabas is lifting a sword from a set hanging on the wall when Quentin and Judith enter. Judith introduces Barnabas to her brother. "An unexpected pleasure, Cousin," greets Quentin, smiling broadly. Barnabas apologizes for not letting them know sooner of his arrival. Quentin warmly assures him, we're always delighted to welcome family members, no matter how distantly related. I arrived late this afternoon, says Barnabas, and I enjoy traveling. Quentin tells Judith Barnabas really resembles the portrait in the foyer. Ah, yes, the original Barnabas Collins, agrees Barnabas. Yes, says Judith, he lived a hundred years ago, in this house. Yes, says Barn, I'm quite familiar with his life, being a direct descendent, and all--Barnabas left Collinwood in 1798 (?), went to England and established that branch of the family. Quentin apologizes for not being familiar with Collins family history. Barnabas says, I'm not a historian. He turns down a drink and agrees to a cup of tea. Judith leaves to arrange it. I'm impressed with Collinwood, a beautiful house, says Barnabas--I understand Edward is away, but Judith said something curious--that Edward is the acting head of the family. Yes, agrees Quentin, touching one of the Swords--Edward fancies himself in that role, but Edith is the real head of the family, over 90 and unable to function--Edward, as eldest of the grandsons, assumes he'll be next in line. Logical, remarks Barnabas. If there were anything logical about Edith, says Quentin--but there isn't--what boat did you arrive on, Cousin? The Pride of Jamestown, says Barn smoothly, arrived 4:30 this afternoon. Yes, agrees Quentin, so it did. He lifts out one of the swords. Barnabas turns his back on him, asking about the portraits in the room--is the one of Joshua here? No, somewhere up in the West Wing, replies Quentin. "I see," says Barnabas quietly--I understand he built Collinwood, and is seems to me that. . .he turns and finds a sword point inches from his face, Quentin on the other end of it. "I advise you not to make a move," says Quentin. Is this a practical joke, Cousin? asks Barnabas, incredulous. "No," says Quentin, "no it certainly isn't. You see, it just so happens that I recently returned from England myself. I spent the better part of 6 months there, so I had ample time to discover there is no English branch of our family--and there never has been! Now," he says, smiling dangerously, "I give you exactly five minutes to tell me who you are and what you want here-or so help me, I'll run you through." And Barnabas looks totally bewildered and disturbed, having a sword threatening his throat in such an uncousinly manner.

(As the credits roll, Jonathan Frid passes into camera range, then hastily out, carrying his street clothes. It was nice to see him, too!)

NOTES: What a greeting from cousin to cousin! I never had the best relationship with my cousins, but I'd have been pretty astounded to have a sword thrust in my face by one of them! Loved the stuff going on between Judith and Quentin (talk about quibbling siblings!) Beth and Quentin (feel that sexual tension!), and Barnabas and Quentin. He sure is a fun guy, but violently tempered, for sure. He's after money, big money, and he wants to do anything he can to get it. How ironic that Sandor found Barnabas in the same manner Willie did--searching for jewels! Or does Barnabas just put that thought in the minds of greedy people so he can break free?

Quentin is a smooth operator--with the ladies, in particular, including Beth, Magda and Judith (who doesn't take any crap from him). But his tendency to hurt, either with words, as he did with Beth by implying that she's Edward's mistress, or by physical intimidation, as he did with Magda, he's a Collins to be reckoned with!

Love, Robin

DVD

Re: Robservations 10/24/02 - #702/703 - Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 11:14:18 PM »
DVD episodes for October 6th and 7th.
The 7th and 8th episodes on Set#13/Disc#1 (2nd and 3rd episodes on MPI tape Volume #94)