Author Topic: Gay actor on Dark Shadows???  (Read 3465 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Gay actor on Dark Shadows???
« on: August 01, 2002, 11:29:20 AM »
Hey Guys!!.....Sorry to bring up such a controversial topic about in the postings, but i have heard from several people that Joel Crothers(Joe Haskell,Nathan Forbes,)was gay.I figured if it was true I would rather hear it from honest people like yourselves who really know the stories behind some of the actors on the show.My brother is gay and he and I have the hugest crush on Joel Crothers.So, anyone that knows anything about this,whether it's just a rumor or not...i would like to know.After all, it would make my bro feel a whole lot better about himself....especially to find out that the hunk he likes on DS was actually gay also...

thanks guys,

A.I. Collins (Adra Ivey Collins)

P.S....Sorry if this topic upset anyone,...just ignore it and pretend it was just an illusion you saw in parallel time. ;)
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Connie

Re: Gay actor on Dark Shadows???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 12:04:48 PM »
Hmm...
I don't know anything about Joel Crothers, but I heard he died of an Aids-related illness.  Do NOT know if that is accurate.  Who knows?

But I DO have a friend who's sister studied voice with the same teacher as Joel!!  Her lesson was right after his, and he'd be leaving when she was arriving.  A few times when she was early, she'd hear him singing.  She said he was good!  Cool, huh?

love
CLC   :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 06:59:49 PM »
Regarding the private issues of anyone that worked on DS, it's always been the policy here that only what's been publicly discussed can be discussed here.  I'm sure you can understand that the intent of the forum guideline, which I've pasted below, is to protect the privacy of the DS actors.

Joel Crothers' obituary, as sanctioned by his family, stated that he passed away from cancer.

It's undeniable that what A.I.Collins and Connie have brought up hasn't been discussed by fans or that the board rule that prohibits further discussion of these issues has upset some of our visitors, but everyone behind the boards feels strongly that the policy is an important one.

7. These boards are not forums for the spreading of gossip or innuendo, or the slandering of the DS actors' private lives. Comment on their public behavior, whether it be a personal appearance or in the course of some other form of public exposure (i.e. a talk show, Fest appearance, etc.) is perfectly acceptable, however.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 10:17:24 PM »
Dear Midnite, Thanks for clearing this issue up.
I too heard that Joel Crothers died of Cancer
as well.  He certainly was a great actor. So,
Glad we have you around to protect us.
                   Love Anne ;)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 09:10:21 AM »
Hi Annie! Welcome back! It's nice to see you here again. Shouldn't be too long now until "you know who" shows up again on DS!! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 03:27:02 PM »
Hi, Cassandra thanks for the welcome i do
try and post on here every now and then!!
AND I'LLBE GETTING MY DROOL CLOTHS
Ready for "YOU KNOW WHO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE Q-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Love Anne :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 04:35:26 PM »
I also agree with the board's policy against discussing actors' private lives in regards to areas that have not been publically discussed by the actors themselves.  I would take issue, however, with the notion that speculating on someone's possibly being gay is slander.  It's definitely inappropriate if the actor has never raised the issue themselves, but not slander.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 04:43:13 PM »
...although re-reading the rule #7, I suppose this would fall more into the "gossip and innuendo" category than slander.  I also re-read the posts and see that no one ever actually said this particular kind of situation was slander, just that "slander" in general is referred to in the rule.  Anyway, 'spose it's time to move on to other topics?  

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 09:47:45 PM »
I'm sorry about this topic Midnite and MB.It was a little out of the way and I'm sorry I violated a rule of this forum.If there's anyway possible,could you remove this topic entirely?

Thanks,

Adra :-X
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Connie

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 11:37:48 PM »
Yes - this has been bugging me too.  Could you remove the topic?  It didn't occur to me that someone's being gay might be considered slanderous.  I wasn't thinking.

-CLC   :-/  

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2002, 12:00:23 AM »
Oh dear, please don't misunderstand-- I don't think discussing a person's sexual preference is slanderous AT ALL; only that it's private.  The guideline, as Joe mentioned (thanks, Joe), mentions gossip, innuendo, OR slander.

It's always been the policy on these boards that if anything involving someone's private life isn't published in a reputable source or shared publicly as in a public appearance, it's not to be discussed here.  But please don't feel embarrassed or upset, ladies-- questions revolving around private issues do come up from time to time and I'm hesitant right now to remove this thread because not only does it remind everyone of what we feel is an important guideline but it also provides an opportunity to clarify its intent.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2002, 01:51:26 AM »
Hello, I believe Joel was a wonderful man and actor with many friends.
 I do not believe Joel was at all gay, this is a mere rumor.
 I also read he died much to young of Cancer...  :(
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2002, 02:08:39 AM »
There were gay actors on Dark Shadows?!

No way... ;)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2002, 02:11:15 AM »
Midnite, thank you for clarifying both the intent of the guideline and the perspective of the administrator.  On a personal level, it was very nice to hear that said.   :)

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2002, 06:13:35 AM »

It's always been the policy on these boards that if anything involving someone's private life isn't published in a reputable source or shared publicly as in a public appearance, it's not to be discussed here.  But please don't feel embarrassed or upset, ladies-- questions revolving around private issues do come up from time to time and I'm hesitant right now to remove this thread because not only does it remind everyone of what we feel is an important guideline but it also provides an opportunity to clarify its intent.

Very well said Midnite.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!