Author Topic: The Horror! The Wig Returns!  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
The Horror! The Wig Returns!
« on: August 01, 2002, 04:52:50 AM »

Don't tell Ms.Hoffman but the wig made a ghastly reappearance today .. .the HORROR!!!  .. .
Julia99

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror! The Wig Returns!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 03:42:39 AM »
I'm one who prefered her "Hi!  I'm Julia!  Fly me!" do.  I winced the first time I saw her with shorn locks.  It's obvious she's growing them out again and by the time the Leviathian storyline comes around, they'll be long enough for her next coif.  As a matter of fact, they'll be long enough for the 1970PT that she'll be able to do them in two styles, one for Hoffman the Danversish housekeeper, one for Dr. Hoffman.  Of course, she had her full head for House of Dark Shadows and looked like total class.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 04:22:36 AM »
Hey gang,

Since the sheriff made Jim Traficant doff his rug in the slammer today, it's only fair that the good Dr. Hoffman should doff her wig as well.  After all, turnabout is fair play!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who asks the question: Steve Martin's hair, is it real or is it a squirrel on the top of his head?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 04:25:34 AM »
Gerard, I'm surprised you prefer the long hair.

Grayson Hall had such fine, delicate features....which are usually overwhelmed by long hair.

I thought the shorter hair was much more attractive, because it framed her face to much better effect.

But that's just me.

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 05:27:25 AM »
I'm one who prefered her "Hi!  I'm Julia!  Fly me!" do.  I winced the first time I saw her with shorn locks

When I first started watching DS in '68, Julia already had the shorn look, and as an impressionable young lad of 11, I found that 'do quite captivating.   And that's how I've always remembered the esteemed doctor.

So imagine, Gerard, 30 years later, when I finally viewed the eps introducing Julia with her "Fly me!" 'do.  That's when I winced!  That look was too severe for her, I thought.  

This must be an example of that psychological phenomenon, "imprinting."

Ben
(who thinks that the "Fly me!" wig would be a definite improvement over what Mr. Traficant insists on sporting)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 05:28:02 AM »
To me, her longer hair frames and highlights her features.  I just always liked that 60's Austin Powers look.  It's like, so groovy.  It's probably why I was never a fan of Roxanne - because of her hair.

Gerard

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 05:37:14 AM »
"Hi!  I'm Julia!  Fly me!"

Wow!  Can you imagine Julia as a stewardess?  <lol>  

Connie

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 06:19:47 AM »
Hmm...
IMHO longer, fuller hair softens Julia's rather severe (and beautiful) features - particularly her exotic eyes.  The short hair is too hard looking - not as sexy.  But then again, what do I know?  (not much)

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 07:43:10 AM »
Hmm...
IMHO longer, fuller hair softens Julia's rather severe (and beautiful) features - particularly her exotic eyes.  The short hair is too hard looking - not as sexy.  But then again, what do I know?  (not much)

Connie, can you put up a comparison shot? This pix as well as a pix with her short hair so we can all take sides?
Personally, I like her short, pixie haircut best--I think she looks younger.  IMHO, Julia looked too matronly with longer hair.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Nicole

• Junior Poster
  • ...But I look so innocent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 07:50:07 AM »
Oh God, the wig is horrid.  It's really a shame she ever had to wear the awful thing.  Ranks right up there with Maggie's early blonde do and Cassandra's black horror.  Did they pick out ugly wigs for the actresses on purpose?  Was any of that ever in style?

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2002, 10:04:15 AM »
I too prefer the longer hair (see left & below and Connie' pic above) so the wig wasn't such a problem for me.  .i can see why others would like Grayson's shorter doo but I think the fuller look brought out and highlighted in a flattering way her unique and exotically beautiful face. .the shorter do emphasize the severity too much. . .

versus

okay so these pics aren't the best examples..the short do looks pretty good in this shot .. .ironically.

MB--can you make the 2nd picture smaller? why is it sooooo huge?
Julia99

Connie

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2002, 02:03:41 PM »
okay so these pics aren't the best examples..the short do looks pretty good in this shot .. .ironically.

MB--can you make the 2nd picture smaller? why is it sooooo huge?

'Cause that's the size it was when I sent it to you!   :)

-CLC

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2002, 05:58:41 PM »
I like the wig *shugs* I just got used to Julia wearing that. I don't like her short hair cut, but I liked Grayson's hair when she let it grow out by the time of the 1840 storyline.

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2002, 06:34:38 PM »
First, re Trafficante, I don't blame the police for taking his hair piece, it would definitely qualify as a potentially dangerous weapon.  Also, I would like a Julia stewardess when I fly - she'd be perfect for someone who isn't too fond of flying like myself, she could reach in her bag and give me something that would knock me out until we had cleared customs. Finally, I think Grayson looks great no matter the hairstyle.  Wow, what cheekbones!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2002, 10:12:07 PM »
First, re Trafficante, I don't blame the police for taking his hair piece, it would definitely qualify as a potentially dangerous weapon.  

Hell toupee!

Gerard