Author Topic: The Edge Of Night  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The Edge Of Night
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2002, 11:13:36 PM »
:)  I used to watch Edge of Night when I was a kid.  I remember Joel Crothers as Miles.  He had a mustache on that show.   I don't remember it being so much as a mystery as a usual soap.  

Whenever I saw a former DS cast member on another show - oh.....there's so-and-so!   ;D

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2002, 02:13:14 AM »
As I remember there was a character on EDGE OF NIGHT named Mrs. Whitney, who was similar to Katherine Chancellor on YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. She was very very rich and powerful...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2002, 02:29:42 AM »
Are you referring to Geraldine Whitney?? She was a semi wealthy character played by Lois Kibbee from 1971-1984. Kibbee co-wrote the "Bennett Playbill" with her dear friend Joan Bennett.  Sadly, Ms. Kibbee died in 1989.  You might also be thinking of the character of Raven, from the late 70's early 80's. Raven married Sky Whitney for his money but found he was an imposter, who had plastic surgery to look like the real Sky.  When the imposter Sky's murderous deeds caused his death, the real Sky came back from the dead, and Raven later married him!  

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2002, 03:23:38 AM »
My Father in law was an editor of Edge of Night.
(At the time...Screen Gems UEU?)
I can get info if you want; just e-mail me.
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2002, 03:30:46 AM »
Are you referring to Geraldine Whitney?? She was a semi wealthy character played by Lois Kibbee from 1971-1984. Kibbee co-wrote the "Bennett Playbill" with her dear friend Joan Bennett.  Sadly, Ms. Kibbee died in 1989.  

Yes, it was Mrs. Whitney. She was quite a character. I wasn't a regular viewer. However, I do remember her. My mother watched the show.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline AllMyShadows

• Junior Poster
  • DS Fan All the Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2002, 04:03:38 AM »
I read that Louis Edmunds was on "All My Children" from 1979 to 1995 playing Langley Wallingford, the husband of society dame Pheobe "Duchess" Tyler Wallingford (played by Ruth Warrick). I'd like to see some classic AMC episodes. A friend of mine told me that tapes of daytime shows were not destroyed after 1982. That's a shame because I wanna see Chuck Tyler collapse at his and Tara Martin's wedding! ;) ;D ;) ;D
DS on Sci-Fi
1992-1997, 1999-2003
Let's just hope TVLand picks it up or something like that lol

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2002, 04:13:14 AM »
I read that Louis Edmunds was on "All My Children" from 1979 to 1995 playing Langley Wallingford, the husband of society dame Pheobe "Duchess" Tyler Wallingford (played by Ruth Warrick). I'd like to see some classic AMC episodes. A friend of mine told me that tapes of daytime shows were not destroyed after 1982. That's a shame because I wanna see Chuck Tyler collapse at his and Tara Martin's wedding!

Your friend is slightly off on the year. Actually ABC has all their soaps saved going back to at least 1978 or 1979. Anything pre 1977 is mostly gone.  Soapnet ran a 1981 episode of AMC with Louis Edmonds last year in a marathon of classic shows.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2002, 04:52:30 AM »
my name is victoria winters...

this post and some others are just making me cry :'(.  i miss some of these old shows so much.  edge of night was great i cried when they took that off. somerset was also great i remember very clearly when it went off the air staring a very young jobeth williams (the mom in poltergeist).

i also remember mac dying on another world in the 80s (closer i know).  i cried for weeks.

i guess this membership must be my age or older to remember all these great shows.  i'm glad to be with my peers. :D

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2002, 09:19:38 AM »
I hear that The Edge Of Night is A LOT like Dark Shadows! Has  anyone seen it? Is it good? I really wish Sci-Fi would air this too! It seems pretty good...

I watched TEON off and on in the 70's, and I don't remember it having a supernatural element until maybe the very end...IIRC, the last episode featured someone who got tossed back in time, but my memory of it is very hazy.  I do remember the show as being mystery-oriented, and I believe the last couple of years prominently featured the Raven and Sky characters as "married detectives extraordinaire..."  kind of a Nick and Nora Charles knock-off, I guess.

I'm pretty sure that HAA did a brief turn on the show, although I can't remember if it was TEON or Another World in which he played a really oily interior decorator.  Someone told me that he was a real hoot in the role.  :D

I would love to see TEON episodes again, and I *finally* live in a place where we get SoapNet.  :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2002, 09:34:05 AM »
Linda,

Edge was definitely a mystery oriented soap for 29 years.  Murders and police crime drama took center stage over romance and love stories. Edge never did anything as far out as a time travel story.  In the last episode, which ended on a cliffhanger, two past villains "rose from the dead" but only one person could see them.  The most they went into the fantasy/sci fi mode was in 1983. That story dealt with a mad man who hypnotized the entire town with subliminal messages piped through the cable tv.    Shades of George Orwell's, 1984!

And yes, that was Humbert Allen Astredo that played the mayor, in several brief appearances on EDGE from 1979-1980.   I do believe HAA was an interior decorator on Another World in the early 70's.  What do want to bet he decorated everything in GRAY!!  

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2002, 09:53:25 AM »
Linda,

Edge was definitely a mystery oriented soap for 29 years.  Murders and police crime drama took center stage over romance and love stories. Edge never did anything as far out as a time travel story.  In the last episode, which ended on a cliffhanger, two past villains "rose from the dead" but only one person could see them.  The most they went into the fantasy/sci fi mode was in 1983. That story dealt with a mad man who hypnotized the entire town with subliminal messages piped through the cable tv.    Shades of George Orwell's, 1984!

Aha!  That explains it...In the last episode, I seem to remember a woman standing there in the last scene, looking shocked...villains rising from the dead would certainly explain *that*. :D  I also remember the camera cutting to a wide angle of the town, and it looked very picturesque, but deserted -- maybe that's where I figured she'd gone back in time.  I think it was snowing, but it's been years since I've seen it so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

And yes, that was Humbert Allen Astredo that played the mayor, in several brief appearances on EDGE from 1979-1980.   I do believe HAA was an interior decorator on Another World in the early 70's.  What do want to bet he decorated everything in GRAY!!  

LOL!  I asked him once why his DS wardrobe was so sparse...("How come they never let you change clothes?" was my bold query)...and he said that DC really liked him in gray and thusly, he pretty much had no choice but to wear what they gave him ("they put it out, I put it on")   It's funny, though...in his early scenes, especially (and probably due to certain lighting arrangements) his suit appeared almost a teal-blue color.  He looked almost leprechaunish with that silly hat they made him wear.  :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2002, 05:29:54 PM »

If Craig Slocum appeared on AS THE WORLD TURNS in the 60's or 70's I am afraid most of those shows were destroyed a long time ago!  

You're probably right about that. We're lucky we still have Dark Shadows.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2002, 12:24:49 AM »
We're lucky we still have Dark Shadows.  :)

We sure are!!!

and this looks like a good place to put in another plug for a recent addiction.... Game show network runs old black and white shows from the late 50's and early 60's from 4am to 6am every morning - and they crack me up every day [I tape and watch during the day, because I'm still in a coma at that time!]  Right now they have To Tell The Truth, I've Got A Secret and [dare I say it....] Password.  As a bonus, they occasionally have a DS star on as a guest  [ Joan B was on IGAS a couple o'weeks ago]  Check it out, if ya like that old stuff, or if you 'youngsters' wanna see what TV was like when there was only 3 channels, in the Golden Years [wah, wah, wah - Bowie ref.]

It reminds me of sunday nite at home with the parents, when everything looked like the Xmas photo.....on the 'uh oh'  thread!!! ;D
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2002, 02:30:40 AM »
Ringo,

I know what you mean about Game Show Network. Two years ago I got a 1970 mystery guest appearance of  Joan Bennett on What's My Line.  She talked about making HODS, and a little on the series. Unfortunately, they did not run the infamous Jonathan Frid appearance.   In another episode of WML, the host read letters on the air. From one viewer was a letter demanding more DS guests on the show, especially David Henesy!  Later on a 1972 WML, Virginia Vestoff turned up as a guest.  Match Game '75 featured Kate Jackson. And on a Halloween 1971 episode of The Dating Game, "Quentin's theme" played during parts of the show!

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2002, 02:49:47 AM »
Although different from Dark Shadows, Edge of Night was an excellent show.  As others have noted, its emphasis on crime drama and murder mysteries made it different from the other soaps airing at the time.  Also, beloved, good characters were just as likely as the bad guys to be killed off, making its storylines suspenseful and unpredictable.  Although, IMO, the show wasn't as good after the termination of long-time head writer Henry Slesar, it was still a sad day when this unique soap was cancelled.

By the way, between her stints on EON as Geraldine Whitney, Lois Kibbee appeared on the soap Somerset, where her son was portrayed by DS's Chris Pennock.