Author Topic: #0182/0183: Robservations 09/27/01: Peter Lays His Cards on the Table, and His Head in the Noose  (Read 1382 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #182 - The fear and the mystery that has long hovered over Collinwood has now gathered into a single form--the form of a threat directed against a confused and troubled boy--the ways of protection seem blocked at so many turns, and yet the journey through this labyrinth goes on--the search for his safety continues--no matter where it leads.

David sits on the drawing room sofa, working on his homework. Vicki notices that he's daydreaming and calls his name, asking if he's having trouble with that problem. I don't think so, he says. Then try a little harder to concentrate, she suggest. She wanders over to the fire and stands before it. I've made up my mind, says David--about going away with my mother. Oh, says Vicki, steeling herself, what did you decide? I like it here at Collinwood, especially since you came, he says. She sits beside him. Thank you very much, she says. And it has been hard to get to know my mother, he says, to not be afraid of her. Then you're going to stay here at Collinwood? she asks eagerly, taking his hand. No, he says, I've just about decided that I want to go away with my mother.
Vicki gulps.

You haven't made up your mind for sure, have you? she asks. Almost, says David. But David, she says, don't you think this is really something that should wait until your Aunt Elizabeth comes home? No, he says, she said I could go if I wanted to, and she always keeps her word. What made up your mind for you? she asks. If I tell you, he says forlornly, will you promise you won't be ashamed of me? Of course not, she assures him. He sighs. I'm scared, he says,. Don't be afraid, she says. I tried not be afraid when I saw myself in a picture with my mother, with the fire all around us, he says. I don't blame you one bit for that, she says. But when I saw my face in the fire, he says, I couldn't help it--I thought it was some kind of warning, a warning that I should leave Collinwood.  Couldn't it be a warning of something else? she asks--what other things have you seen that have to do with fire? You mean my dream? He asks. Something else, she says. There was the painting of my mother, he recalls. Yes, she says, and when you saw it in the Old House, it was changed. Yes, I was in it! he says, in the fire! With your mother, says Vicki. Maybe that means we should both go away! says David--maybe it means we're in some kind of danger! Danger? Repeats Peter, entering the room--who's in danger. I am, and my mother, says David. He thinks seeing himself in the fire was some kind of warning, explains Vicki--he wants to leave Collinwood with his mother. Oh, I see, says Peter. I think we should leave, the both of us, says David. That's a decision that doesn't have to be made right away, does it? asks Peter. I think we should leave right away, we shouldn't waste any time! says David. I think you should for a while, at least, advises Peter. Well, as soon as my father comes back, I'm going to ask him! cries David--it's up to my father, not you! He runs from the room. David! chastises Vicki. Let him go, says Peter--I'll talk to Mr. Collins as soon as he gets back--we're going to need his cooperation to keep him away from Mrs. Collins. Do you think he'll cooperate? Asks Vicki. Yes, says Peter. How can you be so sure? she asks. Because I'm going to give him the information we have on all the Laura Murdochs, each and every one of them. But he'll go right to Mrs. Collins and tell her! objects Vicki. I'll have to try to persuade him not to, says Peter. What makes you think he won't? she asks. I have to try, says Peter, we can't let David near that woman, let alone go away with her. I know, says Vicki. Once we have Roger persuaded, the major part of our problem is over with, says Peter, because he's the one who encourages the boy to go to his mother. There's someone else, says Vicki, Burke Devlin--he sees David every so often, and every time he tells him he should be with his mother. Isn't Devlin even more likely to go to Mrs. Collins that Roger? queries Peter. I don't know, she says, we'd both be taking a chance, but you do think it's worth it, don't you? Definitely, says Peter--David cannot go away from here with his mother--if he does... Please, don't say it, begs Vicki--David can't go away with his mother--we've got to get Roger and Burke to help us--we've got to!

Drawing room - My good, doctor, I have just returned from Boston, says Roger nastily, going through the mail, and I'm in no mood to discuss anything with members of your profession. I spoke to Dr. Landis last evening, says Peter, he seemed to think that Mrs. Stoddard was improved. Improved--she hardly moves, says Roger--she has to be fed, she doesn't recognize anybody. There was a definite improvement in the motor responses, says Peter. I have just spent several days hashing and re-hashing this entire subject, says Roger, I have nothing more to say to you. It wasn't Mrs. Stoddard I wanted to talk to you about, says Peter, it was Mrs. Collins. Before you begin, says Roger, if it's on the subject of keeping David from her... I'm afraid it is, says Peter. Then the discussion is over, says Roger. Please, says Peter, while you were away, certain new information was brought to our attention. And that is precisely where I would like it to remain--good morning, Doctor, says Roger, and turns to leave. Peter stops him--"Mr. Collins, do you want your son to die?": queries Peter--"I am very serious about this." Roger turns to look at him. Are you still implying that my wife offers a serious threat to my son? demands Roger. I'll do more than imply it, he says, I'll come right out and say it--we have evidence that your wife is threatening to destroy your son. Evidence?--facts? demands Roger, what are they? I must ask you to keep the greatest secrecy about everything I'm going to tell you, says Peter--are you familiar with the cemetery that that's 5 miles out on the North Road, leading out of Collinsport? Not intimately, but I'm aware of it's existence, says Roger. It seems that members of your wife's family, her ancestors are buried there--I should say WERE buried there. Were? asks Roger. Yes, were, says Peter, the graves of Laura Murdoch Radcliffe and Laura Murdoch Stockbridge are empty. I'm afraid I still don't see any connection, says Roger. In the first place, says Peter, it was no coincidence we were led to those graves--that we found them--we were led there--at least Vicki was, and the evidence points to the assistance of Josette. I'm sorry, says Roger, I've just returned from a very long, disappointing trip... You'll have to hear what I have to say, says Peter. I have, says Roger, and my interest had continued to diminish in direct ratio to your credibility--can't we conclude this discussion. If you'll listen to what I have to say, says Peter determinedly. Then say it quickly! Commands Roger.
It's very possible that Mrs. Collins intends to burn David alive, Peter tells the unbelieving Roger.

Burke's hotel suite - Burn David alive? Burke repeats to Vicki--come on now, will you? Please, I'm serious, says Vicki. I know you are, he says, that's what worries me. And I'm not being hysterical, she says. I know there's very little love lost between you and Laura, he says, but aren't you carrying things a little too far? She's a very dangerous woman, says Vicki, dangerous to all of us, but most dangerous to David. Do you realize what you're saying? asks Burke--to do something like that, Laura would have to be some kind of monster, she'd have to be inhuman. (bingo, Burke!) This is Laura we're talking about, he says--Laura Murdoch Collins--I know her--she wouldn't hurt David--she loves that kind. Are you so sure she's capable of love? Vicki asks. Yes, he says firmly. I'm sorry, she says, I didn't come here to argue about Laura Collins--I came here to ask you for your help--for David. He looks at her. I'll do anything I can for David--within reason, he says. I'm afraid this goes beyond reason, she says, far beyond--but it's got to be done.

OK, so the two graves were empty, says Burke--both ancestors of Laura--both died by fires--keep going, I'm trying to follow you. There was the vault in the morgue in Phoenix, that was empty, too, says Vicki. But that woman wasn't a relative of Laura's, points out Burke, no one new who she was. At first they thought it was Mrs. Collins, she reminds him. But it wasn't, he says--so what does it all add up to? It all adds up to something, the says, the repetitions, the fires, the empty graves. Just a long series of coincidences, insists Burke. What about the relationship between David's dream when his mother came back and Sam's paintings? Asks Vicki. All right, admits Burke, so some of the things don't add up. I think they do, she says, I think that Josette Collins was responsible for everything that happened. Why do you do this to me? asks Burke--the minute you start to make sense, you bring up that spook bit again! All right, she says, forget about Josette--but there's something else we discovered--an old newspaper, dated 1867--it tells of a death by fire of Laura Murdoch Radcliffe--it also tells about her son--as she was being consumed by the flames, attempts were made to rescue her, but she refused. Her son tried to rescue her? he asks. Oh, no, says Vicki, she was holding her son, clutching him in her arms. He...he burned to death with her? asks Burke. Yes, says Vicki. That's a pretty hair-raising story, isn't it? asks Burke. My heart almost stopped beating when I heard his name, says Vicki--his name, of course, was David.

David? asks Roger, sickened. Yes, David, says Peter. I must admit, says Roger, sitting down at the desk, I find all this terribly disturbing. Then I can count on your cooperation? Asks Peter, sitting beside him. I said disturbing, admits Roger, I didn't say convincing. Then I don't know what else to say to you, short of begging you, says Peter desperately. Do you realize what a serious accusation you're making against my wife, without any real proof? Asks Roger. In time, I might get it, and that's what I need, says Peter--time--and during that time, David must be kept away from Mrs. Collins. Roger closes his eyes. I'm not sure that's possible, says Roger. Even when your own son's life is at stake? demands Peter. It's because his life IS at stake, says Roger. I don't follow you, says Peter. David's future, his whole life, hinges on what will happen in the time coming up ahead--his whole relationship with his mother is in a crucial stage--he's becoming fond of her, beginning to trust her, almost even to love her--if I forbid him to see her, suddenly reverse myself, what doubts will it raise in the boy? That's the chance we're going to have to take, says Peter. I'm sorry, says Roger, I don't know. All you have to do, says Peter, lifting up the book, is read the report that's in the newspaper. I'll take your word for it, Roger assures him--I have no trouble with the facts, just your interpretation of them. Time, that's all I need is time, says Peter, and during that time, David must be kept away from his mother! Sorry, says Roger, I'm far from convinced. At least please read the newspaper report and think about it--please! begs Peter.

Burke promise Vicki he'll think it over--but there's one thing I have to tell you before you go--if anyone besides you had come and tell me that story, I wouldn't believe it. The facts are true, no matter who told you, she says. Yes, but I wouldn't have been so likely to have listened, he says, and I know how you feel about David--and I know basically you're a very level-headed girl. No I'm not, she says, I'm confused, troubled and frightened. Don't be, he says. When you see David next, she says, and talk to him, you won't encourage him anymore, will you? I hope not, he says. Does that mean you won't? she asks. That means I'll go along with you, if I can, he promises. You can if you want to! she insists. Can I? he asks--and what's my attitude going to be when I see Laura--and I do see her, whenever I can. I know how you feel about Mrs. Collins, she says quietly. No you don't, he says, I don't know how I feel myself--I don't know how I feel about anyone! You know how you feel about David, she says. Yes, I guess so, he admits. This is for him, she says, please try to remember that. I will, he assures her. Then I won't worry anymore about what you're going to do, she says, knowing he'll do what's right.
You really do trust me, don't you? he asks. Of course, she says. I appreciate it, he says, much more than you'll ever realize. Goodbye, she says. Goodbye, he says back, and she leaves. Burke sighs.

Roger sits across from David in the drawing room. Aunt Elizabeth couldn't talk to you or anything? asks David. The doctor said she was improved, says Roger, but not very much--we have to take hope where we can find it, haven't we? I guess so, says David. Have you been behaving while I was away? asks Roger. I don't know, says David--yeah, I guess so, only yesterday... What? asks Roger. Nothing, says David. You might as well tell me, his father says. You don't like to hear me talk about such things, says David--things I see--like the picture of Josette at the Old House--things like that. I thought you were forbidden to go to the Old House, says David. I didn't go there, says David, not since I saw my picture in the fire. You mean the painting with you and your mother, says Roger. Yes, in the fire, says David. What was it then that you saw? asks Roger. You promise you won't get angry? Asks David. Roger promises. I saw myself, says David. In the painting again? asks Roger. No, says David--there--he points to the fireplace--in the flames. Roger looks into the fire. In the flames? He asks. I know you don't like me to talk about such things, begins David, but... Are you sure you didn't imagine it? asks Roger. No, it was real, honest, says David. All right, says Roger, sitting in front of the fire. I think I want to go away with my mother, says David. What? asks Roger--you do? I can go, can't I? asks David. I don't know, says Roger. You said I could as soon as I made up my mind, and I have, insists David. Yes, but I... says Roger. You're not going to back out on your word, are you? asks David. Of course not, Roger assures him, it's just that it's come as a shock. How, you always wanted me to go away with my mother, says David. Yes, I know, but after all, we've spent quite a lot of time together, says Roger. You're not going to change your mind, are you? asks David. No, says Roger, compressing his lips--David, you do love your mother? Yes, sir, says David. And you do trust her? asks Roger.
Of course, why shouldn't I? asks David. You should, you should, says Roger eagerly, if you want to go away with her. And I really do, says David. We'll see, says Roger--we'll see. Don't forget, you promised, says David. Yes, says Roger, sounding choked up, you just run along now, David. You still want me to go away, don't you? asks David. We'll se, son, just run along, urges Roger. David leaves. Roger sits there, then turns to look into the fire, and back at where David left the room. He goes over and pours a drink for himself, taking a long swallow of comfort. He looks around, then puts down the glass and watches as the book opens by itself to the page containing the article Peter wanted him to see.
Roger clasps his hands together and cautiously approaches, reading the photocopied article. Vicki! he calls frantically. Vicki!--Vicki! She runs in. This clipping, this report, he says. Didn't Dr. Guthrie tell you? she asks. Yes, says Roger--about the woman who died in the fire--there was one thing Dr. Guthrie neglected to tell me--this son, this boy, David--he burned alive! Didn't he tell you about that, either? she asks. Yes, says Roger, faltering over the words--but what he didn't tell me was that this son, David--he didn't want to be saved--he wanted to burn!
--in his mother's arms--in the flames--he wanted to--he wanted to!

NOTES: Sounds like Roger finally has gotten the picture. After speaking to David, hearing what he told him about seeing himself in the fire, and now reading the clipping Joe copied at the library, he will most likely agree that it would be best to keep David away from his mother--who intends to do to David what the other Laura did to her own son. And who opened the book so Roger would finally see the light? Josette, of course, protecting David as always!

Perhaps it would have been better if Vicki had told both Burke and Roger, since she convinced Burke without needing to show him any clippings. Roger really seems put off by Guthrie, and in this situation, someone whom Roger liked and trusted was called for. As convincing as Peter was, as much concern he showed for David, Roger still wasn't convinced and wasn't going to do anything to keep David away from Laura. Now that he's seen the evidence. Burke even said that he wouldn't believe anyone but Vicki with this wild story. Burke is confused about how he feels about everyone else, but not David--he loves that kid and wants to keep him safe.

I think Roger is finally beginning to realize how much his son means to him--and that he does, deep down, love him.

We are rapidly approaching the end of this storyline, and it's a roller coaster ride from now on. Strap yourselves in, folks!

Episode #183 - The residents of Collinwood have learned to live with fear--the fear centers around a small boy whose life may be in danger--and an alarmingly mysterious woman who would take him away with her.

Sarah Johnson hangs up a coat, then finds herself face to face with Laura Collins, who walks into Collinwood. You seem surprised to see me, says Laura. I didn't expect to see you, says Sarah, you haven't been around for several days. I've been keeping to myself, says Laura--is David here? No, says Sarah, Miss winters took him into town to buy him some new shoes. But I was suppose to do that! says Laura--we planned to do that together! I don't know about any plans, says Sarah, I just know Miss Winters took him to town. When he gets back, tell him to come to my cottage, please, says Laura. He can't do that, says Sarah. Why not? asks Laura. He's not supposed to leave the house--unless he goes somewhere with Miss Winters, says Sarah. Why isn't he supposed to leave the house? demands Laura. I don't know, those are my orders, says Sarah, David isn't to leave the house, unless he goes with Miss Winters or Miss Carolyn.
Laura is incensed. Who issued those orders? asks Laura angrily--Carolyn, Vicki? No, your husband, says Sarah. (hooray, Roger!) Laura is shocked.

Roger told you that David couldn't come to my cottage? asks Laura, furious--my husband said I couldn't se my own son? asks Laura. He doesn't want David to leave the house, says Sarah. Why not? asks Laura. He didn't give any reason and I didn't ask for any, replies Sarah--I don't mix in what's not my concern. He couldn't have said that, he misunderstood him, says Laura. I understand plain English, says Sarah, and I have perfect hearing. All right, where is he? asks Laura. He's up there with that Dr. Guthrie, says Sarah. Thank you, says Laura, excuse me, barging past her and calling upstairs to Roger. He said he didn't want to be disturbed, objects Sarah. Roger comes out on the landing. I heard you, Laura, he says, it's not necessary to shout. Would you come down here, please? she commands, I want to speak to you. I'm rather busy at the moment, can't it wait? He asks. No it can't, she says, please come down. All right, he agrees, and comes downstairs and interjects himself between Sarah and Laura. His wife waits impatiently. What is it? he asks. Let's go into the drawing room, shall we? asks Laura coldly. Roger and Sarah exchange glances and he tells her that will be all. He goes into the drawing room and closes the doors. What's going on in this house? she asks--Mrs. Johnson told me the most incredible thing--that David isn't to leave this house without Vicki, and can no longer come to my cottage--and all on your orders! Back to the doors, Roger says that he's decided it would be best for David to go out of this house unless it's absolutely necessary--Vicki tells me he's fallen behind in his schoolwork--he's been spending too much time with you at the expense of his lessons--I think it's best for him to stay inside, close to the house, until he catches up with his work. It's just an excuse to keep him away from me, she accuses, and a an extremely limp one, at that. Is it? he asks. You don't care about David's studies, you never have, she says. Perhaps I care about David more than you know, after all, he's my son. And mine, she says, I'm his mother and you have no right to keep him away from me! I'm his legal guardian, Roger reminds her, that was decided by a court of law when you were committed to a sanitarium. What's happened to you? she asks--a few days ago, you wanted me to be very close with David, to take him away from here--what's happened to change all that--did I do something, or say something? No, he says. Then why have you turned against me, you of all people? she asks. I haven't turned against you, he says. Then why this change in attitude? She asks, you're trying to keep him away from me--why are you trying to destroy the most precious thing in my life? I'm not, not really, he says, it's just... Just what? she asks. I don't like the things that have been happening in this house--I don't understand it, or like it, he says. Neither do I, she assures him, surely I can't be held responsible for what's going on in this house. I can't help thinking that these things started to happen when you came back to Collinwood, he says--I think it would be better for all concerned if you were to go away, for a while, at least. (gooo, Roger!) Without David? she asks. Yes, he says. I won't leave without David, she says. If I decide you will go without David, you will go without David, he says--and I'm very close to making that decision. All because you hold me responsible for what's been happening here! she says. Possibly you are responsible, I don't know, he says. Utterly ridiculous! She says, who's been putting these ideas into your head--Dr. Guthrie? Nobody puts any ideas in my head, says Roger, I make my own decisions, and I'm very nearly convinced that David would be better off with me. He won't be better off with you if you're in jail, she says, and that's exactly where you'll be if I decide to testify against you. Don't threaten me with that manslaughter charge, he advises, I will not be threatened, I told you that. This is more than a threat, she tells him--I'll do it--I'll use every weapon I have to get my son! Go ahead, he invites. You think I won't go through with it, she says. That's right, he says.
We'll see, she says, one way of the other, I'll win--David will be mine! And she leaves the drawing room as Roger gazes after her, troubled.

Collinsport Inn, Burke's suite - Buy as much stock as you can get your hands on, Burke says into the phone, and do it before the market changes. Someone knocks. I'll expect to hear from you, he says, and hangs up. Laura is at the door. This is a surprise, says Burke. Why a surprise? Asks Laura. A visit from you is hardly an everyday occurrence, he says. You know why I can't come here more often, she says--it's not that I don't want to. Isn't it? he asks. Of course not, she says. What's on your mind? he asks. What makes you think I want anything? she asks. You never come to me unless you do, he says--what do you want?--does it have something to do with David? What makes you say that? she asks--what's the matter with you today--you seem different. He grins and nods. Do I? he asks. You seem cold, why? she asks. Let's get to the point, he says--what's the purpose of this visit? I need your help, she says--I've got to get David away from Collinsport right away--Roger has decided to be impossible all of a sudden--he wants me to leave here without David. That's interesting, remarks Burke. We can't let that happen, she says, we've got to stop it from happening--you've got to get on the phone to your lawyers, get legal experts, anyone who can help me--you will do that, won't you? He looks away from he. Burke? she asks--you will, won't you? He doesn't reply. It's for us, for our future, she says. Do we really have a future? he asks her. Of course we do! she says, it's what we both want--what I want more than anything else! Do you? he asks. Yes, she says. Come here, he says, over here, by the lamp, (he turns it on to illuminate her face)--I want to look at you--I want to look at your face--you've changed, Laura, more than I realized--more than I could possibly have realized. If you mean I look older, she says, everyone does! It isn't that, he says, you're not the Laura I knew--you're an entirely different person. Everyone changes, she says--you've changed, too. I don't know you anymore, he says, I don't know, and I can't help you. Why not? she asks. Because I don't trust you, he says. You don't mean that, she insists. You're a stranger. he says. Who's been putting these ideas in your head? she asks--who's been turning you against me--Carolyn, Vicki? No, this is between us, he says. Are you trying to tell me that you don't love me anymore? she asks. No, he says. She smiles gratefully. Then don't turn against me, please, she begs, sliding her arms around his neck--believe in me as I believe in you. That's the trouble, he says, removing her arms, I don't believe in you, not anymore, I don't--I don't believe a word you say! I don't understand you, she says--I just don't understand how you could turn against me--you of all people!--I need you so desperately--without you, I'm so alone! She begins to cry. Those are phony tears, he says, and they won't work, not anymore--I don't believe you and I don't trust you!--those are simple facts--that you can't talk your way out of
--not anymore! She looks at him in disbelief.

Collinwood drawing room - Believe me, says Peter to Roger, you're doing the right thing. I hope so, says Roger. David mustn't go near his mother, says Peter, it isn't safe. I don't know how safe I am, says Roger--Laura threatened me, said she would do something drastic if I didn't let her have David. What? asks Peter. It doesn't matter, says Roger, but if she carries out he threat, it could be damaging to me--I would like to believe she won't go through with it. All I can say is, says Peter, your son's life and possibly your sister's life could be at stake--anything you can do to help them has to be done. I suppose so, says Roger, but still, I'm afraid of Laura--she can be a very vindictive person when she wants to be. I'm well aware of that, says Peter. Of course, she's made the same threat before, says Roger, but she's never gone through with it. she's threatened you before? asks Peter. Yes, says Roger, a few weeks ago. Why? asks Peter. She wanted to take David away, that's why, says Roger. But you weren't opposed to that a few weeks ago, says Peter. It was a question of time, says Roger--she wanted to take David and leave immediately, he explains, I said she couldn't go until all the legal strings were tied up--I didn't want any loose ends--she told me she didn't have time--she kept mentioning that word, over and over--that she was running out of time. Interesting, says Peter, I wonder what she meant? I haven't the foggiest notion, says Roger, I don't understand any of the things going on in this house--faces appearing in the fire, a book opening by itself. That was Josette warning you, says Peter. Roger picks up the book. I wouldn't have believed such a thing possible, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, says Roger. I'm very glad you do believe my theories now, says Peter, otherwise, your son will be in grave danger. I told Laura to go, says Roger--I'll see that she does. Sarah passes by and overhears. She asks Roger if they'll be wanting any lunch. No, says Roger, I've got to get out of this house--I'll be down at the office for a while--can I take you anywhere, Doctor? No, says Peter, I've got my own car--I'll be going myself in a few minutes. Then I'll see you later, promises Roger, then turns to Sarah--if anyone asks for me, I don't think I'll be home until dinnertime--and remember--I don't want my wife in this house or near David. I'll remember, she vows. Roger leaves. Sarah watches him. Fine to give orders, she complains to Peter--I'm the one who has to carry them out. I understand that Mrs. Collins was angry with you today, he says. Angry?--if looks could kill, I'd be six feet under, says Sarah--why won't they let her see David?--why can't a mother see her own son? It's a long story, says Peter--I'm not sure that I can explain. Nobody wants to do any explaining, she says, they just want to open their mouths to give orders--orders, orders, more orders. You have a hard life, he sympathizes. You don't know the half of it, she says--listen, I heard Mr. Collins saying that Mrs. Collins might be leaving--is that true? It's possible, he says. Good, she says, then I won't have to keep having her cottage cleaned. That's right, you clean for her, don't you? he asks. Yes, on top of everything else I do, she says. Tell me, he says, have you ever noticed anything unusual about Mrs. Collins--strange, out of the ordinary. She's neat as a pin, that's strange around her, says Sarah--I don't gossip about people I work for, I never have and never will. That's very commendable of you, he says--but she is a bit peculiar in one way--about her fire--she never lets it go out. Never? asks Peter. Not so far as I know, says Sarah--she keeps it going night and day, even when it's warm--I tried to clean her fireplace and she like to have a fit
--I thought that a bit peculiar. So do I, he says. Maybe she doesn't like the cold, and needs the warmth, she suggests. Maybe she does need it, agrees Peter, maybe she needs it badly--I'll see you later. Are you leaving now? she asks. Yes, he says. May I have a ride into Collinsport? she asks, I need to do some shopping. I'm not going into Collinsport, says Peter, not right away--I have a theory, and I've just decided to test it--I'm gong to pay a visit to Mrs. Collins. (don't, Peter, don't!)

The skies cloud over. Laura sits by the fire. Peter knocks, twice. She answers. Oh you are home, he says, for a minute I thought I was out of luck. What do you want? she asks nastily. To talk to you, he says--may I come in? Yes, she says. He removes his coat. I want to ask you a question, she says--how soon will you be leaving Collinsport? That depends, he says. On what? she asks. On how soon I can prove my theory, he says. I don't know anything about your so-called theories, she says, but I do know that you're the source of all the trouble in this house. I'm the source of it? he asks. Apparently you've gotten Roger to listen to all your superstitious nonsense you've been selling, and he's gullible enough to buy it. He's not gullible, says Peter, simply sensible enough to listen to reason. His attitude is not at all reasonable, she says, he's trying to keep me away from David. I know, says Peter. Then you don't deny you're behind all these ridiculous ideas were put in his head by you--you might just as well tell me the truth. I told your husband that David should be kept away from you--because I believe he's in danger. In danger from me? she asks. Yes, he says, you want to destroy him. She laughs--that's the most preposterous thing I've ever heard! Is it? he asks. You must be joking, she says, drunk, insane or all three! I'm quite sober, very sane and I mean every word I said, he says. This is too ridiculous even to discuss--David is my son, I love him--why would I want any harm to come to him? I don't know why, says Peter, that's what I'm trying to understand--that's a good fire you have--you keep it burning all the time, don't you?--I wonder why--it's very warm in here--he takes the poker--would you mind if I put it out? Yes I do mind! she says. Fire's very important to you, isn't it? he asks. I don't know what you're talking about, she says, I just don't like a cold room, that's all. You get some kind of power from fire, don't you? he asks. That's impossible for me to answer questions that don't make any sense, she says. Who are you, really? he asks--what do you want? I'm a woman who wants her son, she says, and if you're wise, you'll leave me alone. You don't have to tell me, Laura, he says, I know already. Oh--what do you know? she asks him. That you're not Laura Murdoch Collins, he says--at least you're not the woman your husband married. Really? she asks--I'm an impostor so clever that even my own husband doesn't know it. Not an impostor, he says. Then I'm afraid I don't understand, she says. Do you want me to tell you who you are? he asks--do you want me to say the words. All right, she says, go ahead!
You, Laura Murdoch Collins, are the undead, he accuses. She looks at him, not smiling.

NOTES: Talk about knocking into a hornets' nest with a stick! Oh, Peter, knowing her powers, how could you so baldly, boldly make such an accusation? Don't you have any regard for your own life? Apparently not.

As usual, Sarah Johnson is a total hoot. She doesn't appreciate giving orders when she's the one who has to carry them out, but you've got to admire her ferocity in doing so. Go, Sarah!

I'm glad that Burke told her off, that he's out of her life. I feared he was under a love spell from her, and that she was using him to get what she wanted. Thanks to Peter, both Roger and Burke told her off, and good. Now, however, she has a target to hate, and she is going to unleash her anger that she has lost all her allies.

Roger really did come up with a lame excuse for Laura not to see David--the same one Vicki did. He should have done better.

Love, Robin