Author Topic: #0168/0169: Robservations 09/18/01: Heat on Dr. Guthrie  (Read 1204 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0168/0169: Robservations 09/18/01: Heat on Dr. Guthrie
« on: September 17, 2001, 06:00:41 PM »
Episode #168 - The halls of Collinwood are filled with conflict and suspicion. Questions are being asked, and very few answers given. The questions center around one woman for whom mystery is no stranger.

Burke comes to call on Laura, who takes her usual forever to answer her door. When she learns who it is, she asks, "What do you want?" To see you, he says. Not now, she insists. Now! he says. No, it's impossible, she tells him. Nothing is, he says. You shouldn't have come here, she says. Well I'm here, he points out. The last time you came here... she says. I remember, he says, now open the door. No, she says. Don't say no to me--I have to speak to you! he says. I'm sorry, she says, I can't stand anymore trouble. That's why I'm here, he says, I have something urgent to tell you, something that may affect what you're trying to do--now do you want me to stand outside here and shouts? She decides she had better let him in.

I'm glad I'm not a salesman, says Burke, I don't think I could stand much shouting through a door. I'm sorry, she says. You certainly make a fella feel welcome, he says. I didn't want to chance a repetition of your last visit, she says. He puts his hands on her shoulders and reminds her that Elizabeth Stoddard is in the hospital on Boston--not much chance of her to come barging in. There are other people who could come down here at any time, she says, moving away from him. I certainly wish you had a more convenient place to live, he says. This place is very convenient, she says, for me. I'm sorry, he says, I don't want to push you, I simply want to see you more frequently. I know, I'm sorry, she says, I wish we could be freer, we will be soon. I'm glad of that, he says. What was it that was so urgent? She asks. There's a man in town, says Burke, calls himself Dr. Guthrie--have you ever met him? Yes, she says, he's a doctor, here to consult about Elizabeth's illness. Why isn't he consulting? Asks Liz. To my knowledge, he is, she replies. Elizabeth Stoddard is in the hospital in Boston, he can't consult her there, says Burke. He's here to study the psychological elements of her illness or breakdown or whatever it is, she explains. Why is he asking so many questions about you? asks Burke. To try to establish my relationship with Liz, says Laura, obviously he knows there was a conflict; he probably wants to find out what affect it's had on her. Is that all? asks Burke. I think so, Laura replies. Do you know that he's been interviewing Sam Evans on the subject of you? asks Burke. No, I didn't, she says, what does he want? He was asking about that painting, and about you, says Burke--not about Liz Stoddard. Laura looks annoyed. Elizabeth objected to the painting, everyone knows that, says Laura. I wish I would have seen that painting, says Burke. It was dreadful, she says, I'm glad it was destroyed! You saw that painting, says Burke., but why is Guthrie so interested in it. I haven't the slightest idea! she insists. One thing we know is, he isn't an art dealer, says Burke. I wish you wouldn't take Dr. Guthrie so seriously, she says. Burke leans in close. When it concerns you, I have to take him seriously, he tells her. But he hasn't asked you any questions yet, has he? Not yet, but he might, says Burke. Stay out of it, please, she says--he'll go away soon. Will he? asks Burke--I don't see how you can be so unconcerned. Because I have nothing to hide, she says. I have a theory about this Dr. Guthrie, says Burke--from all I can find out, all he's interested in is information about you--why is that? I don't know, she says, rising from the sofa. I don't think he's a doctor at all, says Burke--his questions don't have anything to do with medicine or doctoring--these aren't just my words--everyone is saying it. If he isn't a doctor, what is he? she asks. I think he's a detective, says Burke--it's only a theory, but it's worth following up. What in the world would a detective want with me? she asks, lighting a cigarette. (in real life, this actress is pregnant, and I cringe when she does this.) That business in phoenix, says Burke--that body they swear is yours. Her gaze lingers on the lighter's flame as she considers this.

The death of that woman in Phoenix has been taken care of! insists Laura, they admitted they were mistake--I let them make a positive identification of me, the case is closed. What if they're not satisfied? Asks Burke--what if they only told you it was a mistake? I don't know, what could they possibly want? she asks. You tell me, he says--what is all this mystery about the fire in Phoenix? There's no mystery, she says. If it is something, please confide in me, he says. I've told you everything, she says. OK, he says, I only want to help, if you need it. I know and I appreciate it, I really do, she says, but I think you should base your suspicions of Dr. Guthrie on something else. There's something different about this Dr. Guthrie, says Burke--and I intend to find out what it is!  If you learn anything, I hope you'll let me know, she says. He smiles and promises he will. All these ridiculous suspicions of me, she says, they may possibly have been caused by you--you said something to someone about seeing Liz here, just before she became ill, and now Carolyn is asking ME what happened to her mother. I don't think there was anything wrong is saying I saw her here, says Burke. It was wrong to suggest we were together at any time, she says--anyway, thank you for the warning or whatever it was. He sits beside her and caresses her neck and cheek. I just don't want anything to happen to you, he says gently, smiling. Do you think something could? she asks. Half the time, I don't know what to think about you, he says. Don't think about me, she says, think about the future, she says. The future is you, he says, kissing her. He goes in for another, but she backs away
I'm the future, not the present, she says. (not gettin' any now, Burke.) Thunder booms. I think you'd better hurry, she advises, you're going to get caught in that storm. Sure, he says, caressing her cheek, but let's push the future a little, shall we? He takes his coat, gives her a lingering last look, kisses her neck (which she seems to enjoy) and leaves. Thunder rolls. Laura takes another cigarette and lights it.

Sam, too is lighting a cigarette at the Blue Whale. He's sitting at the bar when Peter enters and greets him. I'm fine, says Sam--just indulging in my favorite hobby, says Sam, indicating his glass. Looks very stimulating, says Peter, and Sam agrees it is--it's a challenge to all my sense of wit. You think it will ever become a popular hobby? Asks Guthrie. No, not a chance, says Sam, too cerebral--but the cerebral is your department--want to give it a try?--he calls to the bartender. No, thanks, says Peter, I'm meeting Burke Devlin. Devlin? asks Sam--he's not here. I'm a few minutes early, says Peter. In that case, why don't you join me? invites Sam, wait for a few minutes. Peter agrees and orders scotch and water. Sam repeats the order to Bob, the bartender--for the doctor. Peter points to Sam's drink and orders one of these, for the artist, if you'll permit me. Sam grins at him. So you're meeting Burke Devlin? asks Sam. Yes, says Peter, although I don't know why, he called, left a message for me to meet him here--I assume it has something to do with Mrs. Stoddard. I can't imagine why, says Sam. Bob pours and Peter hands him money. Thank you, says Sam to peter. Shall we drink to your health or your hobby? Asks Guthrie. I'm not interested in my health, quips Sam, let's make it to my hobby. (or your liver.) They toast, and Sam says, I can feel those vitamins all the way down. Lucky thing your hands aren't any worse, says Guthrie. Yeah, says Sam, brooding a moment. By the way, says Peter, you never did tell me how you hurt your hands. You wouldn't believe it, insists Sam. I've believed everything you've told me so far, haven't? asks Peter. Yeah, says Sam. How did you burn your hands? asks Peter.
I didn't, says Sam, Laura Collins did. Guthrie stares at him.

Laura Collins burned your hands? asks Guthrie. She didn't exactly put a match to them, says Sam. What are you saying? asks Peter. You see, you wouldn't believe me, so forget it, says Sam. No, I want to hear about it, says Peter--how did she burn you? She told me she'd stop me from painting, says Sam. She threatened you? asks Peter. Well, yeah, says Sam, it was something, the way she said it, the expression on her face, ion her eyes, I knew she meant it. What did she do? asks Peter. I'll let you put it together, says Sam--later that same night, I was relaxing, lying on the sofa having a cigarette, indulging in my favorite hobby--not excessively--now, about booze, it's done a lot to me, but never made me sleep. But this night toy fell asleep? Says Guthrie. That's right, says Sam, I was thinking about her threat, trying to forget it, then I had this dream, about fire and Laura, she was standing there, I was terrified, she was laughing at me, this hideous laugh--I can still hear it echoing, hear the roaring of the flames--then the dream suddenly ended, I was wide awake, seeing real flames--and for some stupid reason, I reached out and tried to put out the flame with my hands, I don't know why--I have more common sense than to do that with my hands--but something made me do it!--SHE made me do it--Laura Collins! She wasn't anywhere near you? asks Guthrie--she wasn't in the room? She was up at Collinwood, says Sam. And the fire? asks Guthrie. I dropped my cigarette on a newspaper, says Sam, but she did it--she influenced it, she caused it to happen! I think I understand, says Peter, sounding doubtful, sipping his drink. You do believe me? asks Sam. Yes, I believe you, says Peter. Thank you, says Sam--maybe you can explain it to me then? Not at the moment, says Guthrie. Burke enters the bar. But I can tell you it's helped me, says Guthrie. What do you mean? asks Sam. Pieces are beginning to fit together, says Peter. Hello, Evans, greets Burke. Sam introduces the two men, but Guthrie says they've met. Sorry I'm late, says Burke. That's all right, says Peter. Burke and Peter decide to go to a table. Burke offers to freshen Peter's drink, but he refuses. I'll have my usual, Burke tells the bartender. Peter and Burke sit down. I've been curious about you, says Burke. Stranger in town sort of thing? asks Guthrie. Yes, you might call it that, says Burke, not that I'm interested in strangers per se, just strangers asking questions. I see, says Peter. Do you? asks Burke. Yes, that clearly makes you a person who has an answer to give--or one to conceal, says Peter. Burke smiles. You're pretty fast for a doctor, remarks Burke. No reason a doctor should be slow, says Peter. Good, says Burke, it's make it a little easier to level with you. Level away, invites Peter. Why are you here, Doctor? Asks Burke. I think you know that perfectly well, says Peter. What is this so-called psychological study you're making? Asks Burke. Mrs. Stoddard is my patient, explains Peter, now I'm not free to discuss the case--unless of course you feel you have something to add. Perhaps I'm an interested party, says Burke. You're more than an interested party, says Peter--you saw Mrs. Stoddard the day she collapsed. Your voice has the ring of a district attorney, accuses Burke. And yours the ring of someone who's setting up a defense mechanism, says Peter. I have nothing to be guilty of, says Burke. Then perhaps you'll tell me what occurred between Mrs. Stoddard and Mrs. Collins, suggests Peter. Who are you? demands Burke.
Who do you think I am? asks Peter. I don't know, but I'll find out, vows Burke.

Your unnecessarily suspicious, says Peter. Your questions are very suspicious for a doctor, says Burke--if you are a doctor. I assure you I am, says Peter. I'm going to run a complete check on you, says Burke. I hope you'll do that, says Peter, I'd hate to leave you with a sense of insecurity--but in the meantime, I wonder if you could tell me what happened at the last meeting between Mrs. Stoddard and Mrs. Collins. I wouldn't have any idea, says Burke, I was just leaving as Mrs. Stoddard got there. I see, says Peter--you're a very close friend of Mrs. Collins, aren't you? Acquaintance is the word, corrects Burke. That's a safer word, agrees Peter. Thunder rolls. Sounds like something's brewing up here as well as down, says Peter--you have anything to tell me or should we consider the interview ended? I think we've gone as far as we can for the present, says Burke. And I'll be seeing more of you in the future, says Peter. It depends on how long you're going to be around, says Burke. I don't know about that, says Peter, but I know I'll be here as long as I have to be to find out what I want to know. We'll see, promises Burke--I appreciate your coming by for this little meeting. It's been very instructive, says Peter. Both men stand. Good night, Doctor, says Burke. Good night, Mr. Devlin, says Peter, and leaves the bar. Burke goes over to Sam. I see he was having another go at you, he says to Sam. Yeah, well, I was just trying to kill time, says Sam. What did he mean when he said he was fitting his pieces together? asks Burke. I suppose he was trying to figure things out, says Sam. Listen, Evans, says Burke, I don't know what you told him, but I think you'd better get it through your alcoholic head that he's not a friend! I have to be the judge of that, says Sam. No, I'll be the judge of that! insists Burke
--I'm going to run a check on that guy--I want to know exactly what he's up to. Thunder rolls.

Laura lies on her sofa, resting. Guthrie pays her a visit, and she makes him wait while she adjusts her hair before letting him in. Take off your coat? She asks. She invites him to sit down. Just for a moment, he says, I'm afraid there's a bad storm coming. Yes, she says--can I fix you some coffee? He sits down. No thank you, don't bother, he says, I just want to ask you a question. Certainly, she says, sitting by the fire--what is it? I understand you saw Mrs. Stoddard the day she collapsed, he says--in fact, just a few minutes before. Yes, she says, that's true, she says. I wonder if you could tell me anything about her state of mind? he asks. No, not really, says Laura, she seemed her usual self. Why did she come down here to see you? he asks. Just to see if I was comfortable, she replies. Nothing more than that? he asks. Nothing more than that, she says--I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe you have, he says--well, that was it--I guess I'd better be getting back before I get caught in the rain. Yes, she agrees, retrieving his coat. I wonder, he says, if you'd accept an invitation--to a seance. A seance? She asks. Yes, he says--do you know what that is? An effort to contact the dead, she says. Exactly, he says. And where are you having it? she inquires. At Collinwood, he says. Whatever for? she asks. To try to make contact--with Josette Collins, he says. Laura turns away. Do you think you will? asks Laura, obviously perturbed. Who can tell? he asks. Why Josette? she asks. Some of us think she might have something to say, he says. How absurd, she says. Will you come? he asks. No, she responds. I'm sorry, he says, I thought it might be extremely interesting for you--are you sure I can't persuade you? Positive, she says, opening the door for him. Wind howls outside. Think it over, please, he urges. Who will be there? she asks. There will be those who are invited, he says, and of course, those who are the uninvited.
He leaves. She gazes after him, closing the door, breathing in angry, fear-filled bursts.

NOTES: Guthrie has Laura scared. How nice. She fears Josette, because she knows the ghost stands in the way of her getting David, of realizing her dreams. I admire Guthrie, who has balls going to her the way he did--staring the beast right in the eyes, as it were.

On the other hand, Burke is breathing down Guthrie's neck (I did enjoy their conversation in the Blue Whale, filled with barbs and veiled threats). It's weird watching Burke romance Laura, who really seems to be uninterested in him. She seems to enjoy his kisses and caresses, but not very passionately--and she won't let him get as far with her as he apparently used to get. She's holding back on the goodies, but for how long? Isn't she just using Burke?

Poor Sam. He just wants someone to listen and believe him, and Peter does. Burke doesn't want Sam blabbing to Guthrie, however. It should be interesting when Burke has the doctor investigated and learns that he's a parapsychologist, a real doctor.

The problem is, with Guthrie closing in, will Laura push him out of the action, as she did Liz?

Episode #169 - A dark, unseen force exists in the shadows of Collinwood, a force that many are trying to bring into the light. To do this, at least one member of the Collins family must live through a night of terror.

Carolyn gazes out the drawing room window at the storm-drenched countryside. She answers the door to Dr. Guthrie and asks him in. I was lucky, he says, I just beat the rain. He slips off his coat. I was afraid I'd get caught coming through the woods, he says--I went to see your Aunt Laura. What for? she asks. to invite her to the seance, he says. I didn't know you were planning to do that, she says. Yes, says Peter, I thought it might be interesting if she were here. What did she say? asks Carolyn. She refused my invitation, he says, rather firmly. I'm not surprise, she says--but what does that mean--are you still planning to go ahead with it? Oh yes, he says, in fact I think we might have better results without Mrs. Collins. Why do you say that? she asks. Because she's hostile to what I'm trying to do, he says, and a hostile force might disrupt communication--with the world of the unknown an the unseen, he explains. They go into the drawing room The storm rages on. Upstairs, the door opens, but we see no one appear.

You really think you can establish communication? Carolyn asks Peter. I hope so, he replies, after all, that's the point of the seance. I know, she says. I can tell you're still a bit skeptical, he says. I'm sure you know what you're doing, she assures him, I very much want to believe something will come of all this. But you're not convinced? he asks. If I do seem a bit skeptical, says Carolyn, sitting in a chair, I'm sorry, but I can't help it--the whole idea of a seance seems a little bit far out. Most people feel that way, says Peter. Have you had success with this sort of thing before? she asks. Some, he says. How much success? She asks. The degree of success has varied, he says. (yet he claims he's never seen a ghost.) You've definitely managed to establish communication with... With the dead? he finishes. Yes, she says. I've had evidence of communication, he says, that's as much as I can say--you have to trust me, you have to believe I know what I'm doing. He sits in another chair. I'm trying to, she says. Then go along with what I'm trying to do, he urges, I need your support. I'm willing to do anything you say, she tells him. That's all I ask, he says. But what if the seance fails, what if nothing happens? She asks. I have every confidence something will, he says. But if it doesn't, she asks. Then I'll have to decide what to do next, he says, but I give you my word, I will do everything in my power to help your mother. Vicki comes downstairs and joins them. Is David asleep? Asks Carolyn. Not yet, says Vicki, he says the sound of the storm is bothering him. This thunder is enough to keep anyone awake, says Carolyn, going to the window and closing the door. When are you going to start the seance? Asks Vicki. In an hour or so, he says, when David's fast asleep--I don't want any intrusions. Who's going to be here? asks Vicki. Just you, Miss Stoddard, Mr. Collins and myself, says Peter. Not Mrs. Collins? asks Vicki. She refused to come, he says. Someone knocks. Are you expecting someone? Vicki asks Carolyn. No, says the latter. It's very late for a visitor, says Vicki--I'll get it. Frank's at the door. This is a surprise, says Vicki. Something of a surprise for me, too, he says, entering the foyer--Roger just called me--told me to get up here in five minutes flat--there's some kind of emergency--do you know what he wants? I haven't the slightest idea, says Vicki. Roger enters from the kitchen. Ah, Garner, he says, thank you for being so punctual. What's the emergency? Asks Frank. I prefer to talk about this in private, says Roger, lets go into my study. OK, says Frank, see you later, Vicki. All right, she says, looking after them, puzzled. What did Frank want? Carolyn asks Vicki. Roger phoned him and asked him to come up here, says Vicki, he said it was some sort of emergency--I don't know anything about it, do you? Not a thing, says Carolyn. Very strange, says Vicki. Strange things are happening in this house, complains Carolyn, and half the time I don't even understand what's going on--I only know one thing
--I'm frightened--more than I've ever been in my life. Peter and Vicki exchange concerned glances.

Study - That's the only reason you called me up here? Frank asks Roger. Isn't it reason enough? asks Roger. I would hardly call it an emergency, says Frank. I would, says Roger, I'm not satisfied with the way you're handling this divorce--I want it settled and soon. I'm moving as fast as I can, says Frank. It's not fast enough for me or for my wife, says Roger. I can't march into a courtroom and order a judge to give you a divorce, says Frank--is that what you want me to do? Just push it along as fast as you can, insists Roger, that's what I'm asking you to do. Why the rush? Asks Frank. That's my business--and my wife's, says Roger, Mrs. Collins has been putting a great deal of pressure on me to get this thing resolved. Oh she has? asks Frank. She's eager to take David and leave, says Roger. May I ask why? queries Frank. You may not, says Roger--just get this legal complication out of the way as soon as you can. All right, says Frank, I'll do the best I can. I only hope your best is sufficient, says Roger, offering him a drink. Thank you, says Frank--is that all you want to see me about? No, says Roger, pouring the booze, there's a little matter of my legal rights--regarding Collinwood and the cannery. As long as Mrs. Stoddard is alive, says Frank, she retains legal ownership of both. Liz is incapacitated, says Roger--who has the right to take her place and make decisions in her absence? Her next of kin, Carolyn, says Frank. Surely in a case like this, the business and property holdings should be turned over to a more responsible member of the family, suggests Roger. Not in this case, says Frank. Why not? asks Roger. Because of the terms of Mrs. Stoddard's will, says Frank--it stipulates that in the event she dies or become incapacitated, Carolyn becomes her legal heir. But Carolyn is practically a child! objects Roger--she's not equipped to run this house, let alone a large business. As long as Carolyn is a minor, says Frank, she is a ward of the Board or Trustees of Collins Enterprises and her lawyer--she wouldn't be able to make any important business decisions on her own, but she is the legal mistress of this house. I see, says Roger, displeased--and there's nothing I can do to fight it. Nothing, says Frank, the will was quite specific--it would be upheld in any court of law in the land. So, says Roger, I'm to be dictated to by my little niece--how very charming. You've always gotten along with Carolyn, says Frank. Until recently, agrees Roger--she's grown headstrong, the very picture of her mother--she's allowing things to happen in this house that I don't approve of--which brings us to the subject of your friend--this so-called psychologist. Peter Guthrie is a qualified psychologist, says Frank. Really? asks Roger--I don't know much about psychologists, but do they always go around arranging seances? Seance? asks Frank. Surely you know about it, says Roger--you're the one who brought him here. No, I haven't talked to him in several days, says Frank. Then let me acquaint you with the plan this evening, says Roger--Carolyn, Vicki, myself and the good doctor, all reputed sane and rational people, are going to sit around a table and wait for some spook to say boo. I'm sure he must have a very good reason for wanting to do this, says Frank. He may have a good reason, says Roger, but you disappoint me, Garner--I thought you were a much more intelligent man, you certainly don't believe this nonsense. All I can tell you, says Frank, is that Peter Guthrie is a competent, qualified man--I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Well I'm not, says Roger, and I'm not at all sure he is what he says he is--just a psychologist trying to understand what happened to poor Liz. He is, says Frank, you'll just have to take my word for that. Does you run of the mill psychologist always go around evoking witchcraft and voodoo? Asks Roger. All right, says Frank, his methods might be a little bit strange, but I have all the confidence in the world in him. And you won't say more than that? asks Roger. There's nothing else to say, says Frank--Guthrie is trying to find out what caused your sister's illness--he has to use his own methods to do that. All right, says Roger, I think you know more than you're telling me, but that's all right--I'll find out about this man, and deal with him in my own way.
He turns his back to Frank and takes a sip of his drink.

Carolyn sits in the drawing room, reading a magazine. She turns the pages, distracted, listens to the thunder, goes to the window, looks frightened. She leans her face against the wall and shivers. Vicki joins her. Carolyn looks into the fire. Where's Dr. Guthrie? Vicki asks her. In Mother's study, making some notes, says Carolyn--is David asleep? Fast asleep, says Vicki--he looks so angelic when he's sleeping. Yes, says Carolyn, you know something, I've battled with David for years, called him a little monster hundreds of times, but if anything ever happened to him, I think I'd almost die--he's more than a cousin to me, he's more like my little brother. I know, says Vicki. I feel such responsibility for him, says Carolyn, and I jut don't know if I'm up to it--I miss my mother so much. We all do, Vicki assures her. She always knew what to do, says Carolyn, Mother always made the decisions--I'm not good at it, I never was. You're doing fine! Says Vicki. Am I? asks Carolyn, am I really?--do you believe in Dr. Guthrie and what he's trying to do? I want to believe in him, says Vicki, because I think he knows what he's doing. But does he? asks Carolyn--isn't a seance pretty far out? I thought you were in favor of it, says Vicki. I'm in favor of anything that might help my mother, says Carolyn, but suppose nothing comes of it--that would mean Dr. Guthrie can't help my mother, that we've just been kidding ourselves. Don't think about it that way, says Vicki--there's a lot more to consider. I'm so scared, says Carolyn, I miss my mother so much, I need her so much--what if there's nothing they can do?--what if she never gets any better. She will, says Vicki firmly. You honestly believe that? asks Carolyn. I honestly do, says Vicki. I'm trying to, says Carolyn, trying to believe that what happens tonight will somehow help my mother--but I can't help being worried, mixed up and scared. Carolyn, says Vicki gently, touching her shoulder. Spotting Frank in the doorway, Carolyn asks for a favor--get me a plane ticket for Boston, on a plane leaving sometime tomorrow?--I want to see my mother--I have to go to her. You know what the doctors have said, argues Frank, but Carolyn is insistent--I have to see her!--I need her! It isn't a good idea, says Frank. There's no use trying to talk me out of it, says Carolyn, I've made up my mind--I'm going to my mother. Wait a minute, he says, seating her on the sofa and sitting beside her--I have something to tell you, something I thought could wait, but... What is it? asks Carolyn anxiously--is it mother?--is she worse? Nothing like that, he says, it's just that I've seen your mother--today, I took the early plane down to Boston, talked with her doctor. How is she? asks Carolyn eagerly, how does she look, how does she seem? About the same, he says. Then why don't you want me to see her? asks Carolyn. I started to say, I talk to her doctors, and they feel a visit from a member of the family wouldn't be advisable at this time. Why not? asks Carolyn. They're still running tests, explains Frank, and so far, the results have been inconclusive... She's worse! Interrupts Carolyn, that's why you don't want me to see her. No, they're still running tests, they're very hopeful, he says. You're lying to me! accuses Carolyn, I know what those doctors said--they told you my mother is going to die! They didn't say that! says Frank. Stop lying to me! orders Carolyn, jumping up from the sofa, stop trying to be nice to me--I know the truth--my mother is never going to get well! Frank puts comforting hands on Carolyn's shoulders, assuring her that's far from the truth, nobody knows--everything that can be done for your mother is being done, here and at the hospital in Boston. Carolyn, please! murmurs Vicki. What's that? demands Carolyn in a ragged voice--a bunch of stupid doctors who can't tell us what's wrong with her--even Dr. Guthrie doesn't know! But he's trying to find out, says Vicki. He's nothing more than a quack! cries Carolyn, the only thing he can think of is conducting some ridiculous seance! I'm sorry you feel that way, Miss Stoddard, says Peter from the doorway--we can call the seance off if you like--it's up to you. I'm sure Carolyn didn't mean that, Vicki tells Peter. She's just got a little emotional, says Frank.
Guthrie goes directly to Carolyn. Should we call it off? he asks her. Yes, says Carolyn defiantly, it wouldn't do any good anyway--I'm never going to see my mother again--at least not alive--please, leave me alone!--and she runs upstairs, Vicki in pursuit. Peter looks guilty and upset.

Vicki comes downstairs and tells Frank that Carolyn is calmer, she stopped crying. She's under a lot of stress, says Frank. What DID Mrs. Stoddard's doctors say? asks Vicki--really? Let's go in the drawing room, suggests Frank. They do. It isn't good, reports Frank to Vicki and Peter. You mean, they don't hold out much hope for her? asks Vicki. At this point, practically none, says Frank. Oh, no! says Vicki. They're very pessimistic about the results they've come up with so far, he says--they're afraid they'll never find out what the matter is with her. And they don't think she'll ever get better? Asks Vicki, very disturbed. It's hard to make predictions, says Frank, but they don't have much hope. How did she look, how did she seem? Asks Vicki. You want the truth? he asks--like a woman who is living, but no longer alive--that's why I want to keep Carolyn away from her. Vicki nods, near tears. You're absolutely right, she says, I wish there was something I could do. That's what we all feel, says Peter sadly--apparently, there's nothing to be done. Then you're not going to do the seance? asks Vicki. Not if Miss Stoddard doesn't want to, he replies. But I'm sure that she wants to do anything to help her mother! insists Vicki, desperate, she was just excited! Carolyn re-joins them. It has to be her decision, says Peter. Vicki's right, says Carolyn, I do want to go ahead with the seance--Dr. Guthrie, I'm terribly sorry for what I said--I was being silly and hysterical--and I didn't mean a word of it--please accept my apology. Of course, he says. I'm very grateful for what you're trying to do, she says, and I do want to hold the seance. Are you sure? he asks. Positive, she says, I wouldn't stop it for anything in the world--as long as it might help my mother. Then we'll go ahead with it, says Peter. Good, says Carolyn--when? In a few minutes, he says, I have several things I have to do first. Will you be here, Frank? Carolyn asks him. I don't know--should I be? asks Frank. (will he bill the family for seance hours?) I think it's better if we limit it to members of the family, says Peter. Anything you say, Frank says. I think I'll go to my room for a while until you're ready, says Carolyn--will you call me? Of course, promises Peter. Carolyn exits. I'd better go with her, says Vicki. And I'll be saying good night, says Frank. Are you leaving? Asks Vicki. In a minute, says Frank--I'll phone you first thing in the morning. All right, says Vicki--good night, Frank. She exits. Peter and Frank look at each other a moment, and the doctor goes to gaze out the window. I hope you didn't pay too much attention to what Carolyn said, Frank tells him. I know she's under a great strain, says Peter, we all are--Mrs. Stoddard's life may be hanging in the balance--so much depends on what we might learn tonight. Then you're confident she will find something? asks Frank. Yes, but not as confident as I might seem in front of the others, says Peter--I'm dealing in a very new science, so little is known, and less is understood. But it's worth trying, says Frank. I think it is, yes, says Peter, otherwise I wouldn't suggest it. Try to keep the girls from getting too frightened, advises Frank--they're both pretty shaky. Guthrie takes off his glasses--you want to know something ironic? He asks--I'm frightened too. Of what--failure? Asks Frank. Yes, admits Peter, and of success. I don't get it, says Frank.
If we succeed tonight, says Peter, we may unleash a force so strange, so mystifying, so incomprehensible to the human mind, that we may not be able to control it.

NOTES: There's a scary thought, Dr. G. If it's Josette that is unleashed, why would she prove to be such a handful? Unless he's talking about Laura's reaction to what occurs. I admire Peter for going ahead with it, because he is clearly as scared as Carolyn and Vicki--but can't dare show it. I recall thinking what a brave, kind man Peter was back when I first saw these eps, and how much he was putting himself out for a family that wasn't even his.

This was mostly Carolyn's episode, and Nancy Barrett's performance was, as always, flawless. She's amazing as the teenager-cum-Liz-Stoddard's-replacement, divvying up her emotions between fear, indecision and anger. I didn't appreciate her the fist time around, but I do now.

Roger is such a pill! I can understand, I suppose, his being pissed off at Carolyn taking the role he feels he should have--but if that's Liz's wishes, then he should accept it. I was glad Frank put him in his place and told him he was stuck with things as they are. Roger needs to be pushed off the pedestal he put himself on!

It's a desperate situation for Liz now, since she apparently will stay in the trance-like state, her body growing weaker, as long as Laura is alive. How will this seance affect her and the others? This will be DS' first seance ever, and it's going to be a good one!

Love, Robin