Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0347  (Read 837 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0347
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
Robservations - #347

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0347

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:16 AM »
What does dry ice dropped in a boiling cauldron do? Run the equipment?  Why is Barnabas strapped in the chair? Is this  something new or just unseen before. Barnabas says he feels as if there is new blood in his veins.
Julia ditches the medallion for some reason and uses a crystal to hypnotize Vickie. They go to the old house cEller where the arches are gone being used in Julia's lab. She is to never forget and never remember which leaves her with a vague uneasiness. Julia must be crazy to think that Barnabas will choose her over Vickie, but it isn't the first time someone was a fool for love.
Barnabas' hand has aged shockingly in the finale. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »
What kind of reaction the dry ice causes depends on what else is in the cauldron. I think it's just to lend more spookiness to Barn's treatments. As for the chair, the treatments seem to consist of Barnabas sitting in the chair that is not visibly connected to the noisy chemical apparatus that Julia runs. I'm surprised they couldn't spring for a piece of rubber tubing that, say, might be wrapped around Barn's arm, with the other end leading back to some test tube or something.

Julia had to ditch her medallion because too many people knew about it. It's very convenient for her that Vicki was interested in remodeling the West Wing. It made a good excuse for Julia to substitute a piece of chandelier.

The battle between Julia and Barnabas continues to escalate. I am reminded of Julia's comment about the fine line between love and hate--it's certainly true in her case right now.

According to my notes, Barn's hand is Jonathan's own, spectacularly made up.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
According to my notes, Barn's hand is Jonathan's own, spectacularly made up.

I believe it's Peter Murphy's hand, just as he will next show up as [spoiler]an aged Barnabas seen from the back.[/spoiler]  Murphy played several roles during the 6 months after he took over for Daniel Keyes.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:51:16 PM »
I hated this episode the first time I watched it this week. I viewed it twice more with my eye's closed and a fourth time the next day with them open. The fourth time I felt a lot less critical of it.

I agree with all the negative comments about the lab equipment and procedures.

I absolutely hated Frid's acting the first time around but now find it adequate. I don't even have an explanation for the turnabout. Maybe I have DSBPD.

I was impressed with the concept of the Vicki/Julia/Barnabas in his coffin thang but I didn't enjoy the execution at all. I am sick & tired of Julia hypnotizing people, and just as tired of the amulet & the crystal (though both are lovely to look at). The only compliment I can give to that whole segment is that they actually matched the center of the crystal to the special effect.

AM's acting was subpar and ruined the drawing room scene with Frid for me.

Grayson did have some very good moments in the beginning scenes but overall, I can't rate this episode very high.