Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0619  (Read 1920 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0619
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0619
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:04 PM »
Glory be, what a wonderful scene between Nicholas and Julia!  The final part of it, when Julia was puzzled and disturbed by Nicholas's expression of admiration of her, reminded me of the Grayson Hall's final scene with Richard Burton in The Night of the Iguana.  I know why Hall's character was disturbed in that movie, but I have some trouble understanding why Julia was disturbed today.  Was it that she expected Nicholas to kill her for knowing too much?  Or was it perhaps that she just couldn't imagine acting in any other way?  Just like Martin Luther - "Hier steh' ich, ich kann nicht anders."  "Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise."

And then what a wonderful scene between Nicholas and Angelique!  That was a Julia-worthy slap that Nicholas gave Angelique.  When he talked about how she had not been affected by punishment before, I suddenly thought of Reagan, the Teflon President.  Angelique had a Teflon mind.

It was very sweet of Vicky to sit with Barnabas while he slept.  But poor thing, everywhere she turns, nobody will tell her anything.  No wonder she keeps saying, "I don't understand."

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
I think she simply didn't expect a compliment from Blair--and was startled at the fact that she enjoyed it (Julia has a bit of 'thing' for push bad boys, have you noticed?)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
That would never have occurred to me.  I didn't get that impression at all, but you could be right.  I'll have to look for it next time I watch this episode.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:45:20 PM »
I think she simply didn't expect a compliment from Blair--and was startled at the fact that she enjoyed it (Julia has a bit of 'thing' for push bad boys, have you noticed?)

That confused me too.   I wonder if Grayson just played it the wrong way.  Blair must have just meant that he admired her gall and bravery in dealing with him in this way, a tip of the hat to an opponent, but Julia reacted as if he were implying something else without explaining, or referring to some unknown imminent danger to her resulting from her coming there.

Julia seemed to get anxious and feel out of control of the situation, the opposite of how she'd felt moments earlier.   She wandered the woods wondering what dread thing was about to befall her because of what Nick had just said.   Then sure enough Ang appears, so maybe that's what Nick really meant and Grayson played it correctly.   Julia would have been showing great bravery (had she known, Nick meant?) to appear there (before dawn, was it?  Or after sunset?) just when Vampelique was up and about, heading for or away from her coffin.

That's a lot of discussion over one strangely-read line from forty years ago, but I have a feeling everyone here will forgive me.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »
At the risk of sounding repetitious, these were superb scenes between Nicholas and Julia and Nicholas and Angelique!

I always love it when Nicholas puts Angelique in her place.  [ghost_cool]

Perhaps Julia was disturbed by the fact that someone as evil as Nicholas could admire her.

This is one of the best episodes of the series!
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 01:07:19 AM »
Excellent episode! [clap2] I also love the scenes between Nicholas and Julia, and then Nicholas and Angelique.

I loved the way Julia got to the point of the matter and told Nicholas what she knew about him and what needed to be done. You go girl! [bigok] Knowing that Nicholas was a warlock, she was being very gutsy and brave. She would do anything to save her man! It's a good thing that Maggie "softened" Nicholas and made him more human, or Julia's life might very well have been in danger. [shkdg]

Nicholas was just sitting there smelling the yellow rose (my favorite flower) when Angelique first came into the room. Then there was that slap! [ghost_shocked] Ooh! When Nicholas slapped Angelique, it was one of the best great, exciting moments on DS! I loved it! [ghost_cheesy] Nicholas was really angry[ghost_mad]

It was great when Julia hid in the bushes and saw Angelique walk by! One of those wonderful "Aha!" moments!  [ghost_wink]

I was surprised that Adam didn't appear in this week's episodes, when Barnabas was in such bad shape. [ghost_huh]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
This is an excellent ep from my recollection.  I am unable to continue to participating until we get to ep 624.  I seem to be missing a DVD I burned from my VHS collection which I got rid off after I burned them all to DVD. [ghost_sad]  I do remember the scene between Nicholas and Julia and I love Julia for having the balls to stand up to him.  I cannot comment on Julia not thinking Nicholas would give her a compliment cause I need to see it to remember it completely!  I will see y'all when ep 624 rolls around! :(
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
Didn't Nick slap Ang right in the middle of smelling the flower, continuing to smell it after?  There's cruelty with style...  I also noticed in that scene how he continues to do evil shtick with flames, putting them out in ways that would be painful to mere mortals.  I think he snuffs them with his fingers again, but also with his tongue!

This last viewing, I've decided that the storyline and DS in general reanimates and gets much better with the faster pace and darker events as they wind up this storyline.  I'm not sure when it starts, but a Julia voiceover said that the death of Eve was going to trigger a very serious string of consequences, so that's probably it.   I know that this time I noticed the "birth" for me of centered, strong, imposing, yet good post-vampire Barnabas after he returned from Wyndcliffe.   He seems to have reappraised life and himself and his place in the world, and isn't going to get imtimidated anymore just because he's human and vulnerable now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:05:37 PM »
Good insight Magnus as I have said before I really enjoy your posts! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 01:12:34 AM »
That was one vicious slap that Nicholas gave Angelique. Will it have any effect on her? No way... [ghost_rolleyes]

I loved the showdown between Julia and Nicholas too. She was very brave to confront him the way she did. I think maybe Nicholas did have some respect for her at that moment. Another sign of Maggie weakening him? Maybe, maybe not... [ghost_undecided]

I was glad to see that Barnabas was still alive and Vicki was able to help him. He's not quite out of danger yet though.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:45:29 AM »
I always love it when Nicholas puts Angelique in her place.  [ghost_cool]

I was always the opposite.  While in most situations I liked it if someone was able to put Angelique in her place or get the better of her (such as Julia's slap), with Nicholas I hated the way he seemed to have control over her.  I loved every time she managed to best him.
Josette

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »
I did love her revenge as well Josette.  It was so sweet. [spoiler]I love when she went to see Diablos and tell him that Nicholas has fallen in love.  The storyline is great revenge!![/spoiler]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 03:00:20 AM »
Julia was very brave to go and confront Nicholas. She did things in this storyline to defend her friends.

But why didn't people listen to Mrs. Johnson that strange things were happening. She probobly knew many things that were happening, but never felt like people would listen to her. With all the things that were happening, why didn't others put things together.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 05:36:07 AM »
Every moment of the Julia and Nicholas interaction was awesome until the end. Julie should have responded with something witty and bitchy.

Why is that room so popular in the west wing of the house? I don't care for the decision to take Barnabas to Collinwood. I would think Angelique would be able to figure that out.

I love Soap Operas & Comic Books