Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1171  (Read 913 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1171
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1171
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:42 AM »
Now we've got Trask punishing Barnabas for what Trask believes to be the transgressions of Barnabas’s father.  This is sort of unexpected.  My first thought was, “He’s gone round the bend,” and my second thought was, “But when did he go round the bend?”  And of course his best buddy these days is Gerard Stiles, who, unbeknownst to Trask, is also engaged in punishing current Collinses for what previous Collinses did.

I keep wondering how it was that Quentin and Samantha married in the first place.  Given that Mr. Drew the father had been trying to push Roxanne into marrying Trask, I think quite probably he arranged Samantha's marriage, but how?  Why did Quentin agree to it?  Samantha says Quentin never loved her, and I've seen no evidence that he ever did.

Judah/Gerard is stringing various females along, which reminds me of Quentin in 1897, but I'm afraid I don't see his attraction.  I like James Storm as an actor, and I think he fits well into Dark Shadows, but if I were inside the Dark Shadows universe, I wouldn't be interested in Gerard.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
A very long and wonderful scene (in two parts) with Samantha and Gerard. Since Daphne is spending the night at Flora's house, they can be sure they won't be disturbed.

Quentin and Samantha's marriage must also have been arranged. Probably it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea to all concerned at the time, especially Mr. Drew Senior, who probably dreamed of the glory of having the biggest bank in town allied with the biggest fishing fleet in town. Possibly neither Quentin nor Samantha had been in love before and never figured on love being a component of marriage and mistook sublimated anger for passion. So when they fell--for other people--they both fell hard.

I loved Flora and Barnabas's after-dinner chat, especially when Flora pours "Barnabas, dear" a cup of coffee--and he can actually drink it! But the poor guy is so susceptible and falls right into Trask's clutches. A cask of Amontillado, anyone?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »
Almost forgot these priceless lines by Gerard to Samantha--just another day at Collinwood:

"Daphne came to avenge her sister’s death, and if it hadn’t been for you, she might have done it. The notes only brought Quentin and Daphne closer together. She’ll never murder him now."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
Yes, DarkLady, I loved that dialogue, too.  [snow_smiley]  And it's often quite ironic how actions can have totally unintended effects. It would have been so much better for Samantha had she done nothing. But then, Samantha isn't a woman to sit back and do nothing...

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »
Poor Mr. Drew, he loses most of his family and we never even get to meet him.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
True, but the fact that he wisely remains off camera probably guarantees that he will have a long life!