Author Topic: Just Make him Luv YOU!?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Just Make him Luv YOU!?
« on: March 02, 2002, 09:43:34 AM »
?!?Now if Angie can do the following:
**make Jeremiah want Josette
**make Josette want Jeremiah
**make Ben Stokes her toady/slave, and
**Turn Joshua into a Cat!

Why can't she just work her magic to make Barnabas luv her?? Or at least elevate her social standing. . .I don't get it. .

TEXTJulia99TEXT
Julia99

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Just Make him Luv YOU!?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2002, 09:58:24 AM »
The unfortunate (and frustrating) answer to this one is that Angelique wants Barnabas to come to her of his own free will, and she makes a big deal about this point throughout the storyline.  She's deadset against applying her magic directly to him, but apparently it's OK to trap him into marriage by attacking and eliminating everyone close to him with that same magic.  It seems to be a personal quest for her--to prove that Barnabas really loved her all along by getting him to come back to her naturally.  Although after so many spells, (Josette and Jeremiah, Sarah) I think that Angelique has cheated a bit on that rule.

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2002, 03:26:15 PM »
SPOILER*******

Tension was needed between these two for the plot.
The fine line between love and hate was broken in the 1840 storyline.  ::)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2002, 08:19:46 PM »
:P  Let's not go the 1840 storyline and that whole bizzaro ending. . .i personally found it very improbable.. in my loosely held together internal world-- ( ;)) He did that so she'd finally leave him alone. . .it was a ruse or lie. . .And how he spoke about it to Julia right after. . grr makes me mad just to think about it. . . :-/  Julia99  
Julia99

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2002, 10:09:40 PM »
Say, Julia99, do you suppose that if Julia had a few spells up her sleeve she would have used them to make Barnabas fall for her?

ProfStokes

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2002, 01:26:39 AM »
Say, Julia99, do you suppose that if Julia had a few spells up her sleeve she would have used them to make Barnabas fall for her?
Prof. Stokes

What an interesting idea?? I never thought of that. . .Julia did have drugs up her sleeve and she didn't use them. . she wanted Barn for real just like Angie.  But I'm sure she woulda used spells to keep Angie and other girls away just like Angie. . actually the two women had ALOT in common.  . . except Jules was good and patient, Angie was not.

Julia99
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2002, 02:44:20 AM »
Now Julia99 we can hardly call an accomplice to murder (Dr Woodard's) good...

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2002, 05:49:20 PM »

What an interesting idea?? I never thought of that. . .Julia did have drugs up her sleeve and she didn't use them. . she wanted Barn for real just like Angie.  But I'm sure she woulda used spells to keep Angie and other girls away just like Angie. . actually the two women had ALOT in common.  . . except Jules was good and patient, Angie was not.

Julia99

Not sure I could ever consider Julia "good" but aside from that, it's interesting that you use those words "good and patient".  Barnabas twits Julia about her femininity and her "modern ways"--women to some then (and now) were meant to be the pursued and not the pursuers.  He certainly ascribed to that notion, and apparently Julia did too (If I wait long enough, he'll see that I'm the only one for him).

While I am not an Angelique fan by any means and while I certainly don't consider her a feminist either, you'll note that she doesn't sit around waiting and hoping for her prince to come and declare his love for her.

Back to the notion of making Barnabas love Angelique, I think the problem is that:

a)according to canon you cannot make someone love you by magic--lust for you, yes; obsess about you, yes; turn into a slave, yes; love you, no.  Angelique knows that.

b)Angelique is monomanical.  She's got it into her head that Barnabas has to love her on his own, and damn it all, she's going to stick to that, even if she has to decimate the entire village to accomplish her goal.

and

c)She's got self-esteem issues.  Unlike the object of her affections (who has certainly never worried a lot about reciprocity), she needs to be told that she's desirable, the cat's meow, his sun, the moon, the stars, etc.  My feeling is that, he probably did all that in the throes of passion and now she wants and needs to hear it all over again, constantly if possible.

Kind of sad really . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2002, 08:29:02 PM »
Now Julia99 we can hardly call an accomplice to murder (Dr Woodard's) good...

True Vam, true but that was early in the series. . .Julia and Barnabas both undergo dramatic personality reformations by the end of the show.. . and in the 'entire context' of the show, Julia was good and Angie wasn't.  Even though they both did good and bad things at times.

Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2002, 08:39:45 PM »
Angelique reforms ....look at the 1840 storyline. I know Julia you won't give the witch a break! Only julia receives absolution from you-

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Just Make him Luv YOU!? (spoilers!)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2002, 09:55:39 PM »
Angelique reforms ....look at the 1840 storyline. I know Julia you won't give the witch a break! Only julia receives absolution from you-

The problem with Angelique's "reform" and the denouement for the 1840 storyline is that it was quite obviously tacked on, in a hurry, and without a lot (heck, without any) development or thought on the part of the writers.

Barnabas' sudden love of Angelique as well as her sudden reformation do not ring true to a lot of fans.  Yes, people can change/reform, etc., but there usually has to be effort, thought, impetus behind it.

Given all that we know about these two characters, I honestly don't see how we can reasonably and rationally assume that either of them were going to go become productive and non-threatening members of society and go and sin no more . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2002, 10:10:03 PM »
I never did understand why Angelique had self-esteem issues, unless she was really mistreated as a child (which I suppose can be explained in ANGELIQUE'S DESCENT, if you want to believe Lara Parker's version).  She was gorgeous, charming, and certainly could have had a man fall in love with her on her own terms.   She set her sights on BARNABAS, and he was the beginning and end as far as she was concerned.  The problem was, and a spoiler is coming for those who haven't seen the entire 1795 storyline,

even when she blackmailed Barnabas into marrying her, she still didn't trust him or believe he cared enough.  When she learned he was giving santuary to Vicki, she was furious enough to make sure Vicki was captured by Trask and removed from HER home.  Angelique could never relax, even when she got what she wanted.  I think she would have been happy as Sky Rumson's wife, coddled in luxury by a rich man, but that fell apart on her through no fault of her own.

Like everyone in DARK SHADOWS, Angelique was looking for love, but in all the wrong ways, and even when she finally got the man she wanted, instead of dropping the use of witchcraft (which she even told Ben she would after the Jeremiah's ghost fiasco), she couldn't do it, and it proved to be her downfall and the end of her brief marriage to the man she loved.  Remember, Barnabas overheard her incantation, which piqued his suspicions and led to his realization that his wife was the real witch.

Love, Robin  

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2002, 10:10:04 PM »
Is it my imagination, perhaps an aberation, that you are on a crusade against the character Angelique (or the actress that plays the part) for some reason? I can't say a word in reference with out you jumping all over me.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2002, 10:36:00 PM »
Is it my imagination, perhaps an aberation, that you are on a crusade against the character Angelique (or the actress that plays the part) for some reason? I can't say a word in reference with out you jumping all over me.

Everyone is encouraged to express their opinions about the characters on the show, and if you put an opinion out there then it becomes subject to debate; that's the nature of a discussion forum.  But VAM, I'm asking you to please refrain from making direct references to the posters for their opinions.  It's not my intention at all to upset you or silence you and I certainly don't want to drive you away, but I'm thinking that maybe you're not aware of how you're coming across, yet your comments lately often sound to me like personal attacks.  So PLEASE, I'm only asking you to stop making the disagreements personal.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2002, 10:47:44 PM »
Midnight,

Sorry, It appeared as over reacting to a response. Maybe I just misread the intent.