Author Topic: Joan Bennett on Noir Alley - Tonight 7/31  (Read 281 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett on Noir Alley - Tonight 7/31
« on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:40 PM »
Turner Classic Movies' Noir Alley movie tonight is "Hollow Triumph" starring Joan Bennett and Paul Henreid from 1948. The screening is at 11:30 CST, but check your local listings. TCM's dailly schedule lists this time, but there is a discrepancy in that the Noir Alley section of TCM's web page instead lists something called "The Glass Wall" and says something about Noir Alley "Every Saturday at Midnight." However, I happened to watch last week's film (not sure what time it started), and the host announced the Joan Bennett movie (naming her) as this weekend's choice. His commentary is always quite extensive both before and after the film, so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. I've never seen this movie!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: Joan Bennett on Noir Alley - Tonight 7/31
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 01:35:29 AM »
For those who missed it and have it available on their cable ,TCM has Hollow Triumph on TCM on demand. I'm watching it now.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 04:54:19 AM »
Glad you were able to get it On Demand, Patrick. I don't suppose that included host Eddie Muller's commentary? His before and after film commentary for "Hollow Triumph" were very informative, as expected. It was interesting to learn how the independent film company was set up for this film and how Bennett and producer husband Walter Wanger wanted to be part of it.

I thought Joan Bennett was perfect in the part and found Paul Henreid much more compelling than in anything else I've seen him in. And the noir look of the film was also perfect.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 05:34:17 AM »
Yes, all the on demand movies start and end with the regular commentaries. It was interesting to hear how his movies traded off budget for creative control and how filming using normal street lighting not only saved days in production set up but really created a cool film look. Like you, had never seen this movie before but thought it was quite good as was Joan Bennett.  Had to say,  it made me feel like I was watching Steve Martin in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid..... Lol.