Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0055  (Read 1150 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0055
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0055
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »
Alexandra Moltke sounded as though she might have a cold in the opening voiceover.

A long day for Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds - lots of talking in the drawing room/foyer set, always on the same subject.  It must have been hard to learn the lines, and there were some flubs.  Bennett called Collinwood "Collinswood".  She did it in another episode a few days ago as well.  "Collinwood" is so much easier to say than "Collinswood" (at least I think it is) that the mistake surprises me.  So I imagine Joan Bennett a little bit thrown by the soap universe over which her character is supposed to be reigning, and then I imagine her saying to her self over and over again: "Collinwood.  Collinwood.  Collinwood."

No extras in the shop today, so Maggie could sit and have a confidential chat with her pop.

There was a nice touch from Dana Elcar when he entered the coffeeshop.  "A cup of coffee and...ah...one of those doughnuts."  The "ah" indicated a spur of the moment thought, although the stereotypical cop would be more likely to make a beeline for the doughnuts the second he walked into the shop.

Then the Coast Guard reported that they had found Bill Malloy's body.  We don't hear much about the Coast Guard on Dark Shadows.  Suddenly I'm dying to turn Dark Shadows into an action show and see the search for Bill Malloy's body as it happened.  Lots of stalwart stoic seamen with radios, and boats with loud engines, and seawater sloshing over everything.  And rain.  Yup, it's a completely different show.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
Suddenly I'm dying to turn Dark Shadows into an action show and see the search for Bill Malloy's body as it happened.  Lots of stalwart stoic seamen with radios, and boats with loud engines, and seawater sloshing over everything.  And rain.  Yup, it's a completely different show.

Unless they run into the Creature From the Black Lagoon, on an ocean holiday.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
Sam refers to Bill in the past tense and then later wants to get the letter back.  This makes no sense as he still needs the protection as Roger isn't dead.  He is probably worried Maggie will read it, but the thing to have done in the first place would have been to leave it with a lawyer. The Evans family learns that Bill is dead.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
I'm sure poor Sam can't afford to have a lawyer, hence the hotel safe.

It would have been fun to have some outdoor action scenes on the show. Or even just one person wearing a wet slicker and a sou'wester.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Luciaphil says in her column about Roger: Somehow I get the feeling that he hoists a glass for anything from Arbor Day to finding a good parking space at the cannery.
Heh, heh. I love it.

Somebody hand Roger a shovel.
Love this: "Well," Liz asks Roger, "how much of what you told him (Patterson) was the truth?”
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:56 PM »
Elizabeth has made Sheriff Patterson some coffee and serves it with the good china. Nice touch. The sheriff gets to sit back and watch as Elizabeth and Roger quarrel.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:25 AM »
Elizabeth knows Roger is hiding something, but is still determined to believe he's innocent of the manslaughter charge. Roger sure did do a great job of bullying her into still believing his innocence.

I always like Sheriff Patterson. He does his job and won't let anyone tell him how to do it. I can't help but think he wouldn't have let Elizabeth sweet-talk him into dropping the bleeder valve incident as she did Jonas Carter. He's a tough cop, but a fair one but also one who will do what his job requires.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:12:52 AM »
I liked Carter's decision.   It seemed like a very Andy Taylor sort of move, letting the letter of the law slide, once he realized that someone he trusted, Liz, had decided to treat it as an internal family matter.   Nothing would be accomplished by hauling in David except to destroy a troubled minor's life, and if someone like Liz thought the attempted-murderer and victim could live under the same roof and work their way out of this, I guess he felt he could give her a chance to try.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:07:39 AM »
A slip up in the writing or delivery-- Liz says that Mrs. Johnson told her that Bill was home at 10:30 "last night," but that should've been the night before last.  But I guess you needed a scorecard in these early eps to keep track of the passing days.

What I'd like to know is if Mr. Wells has access to the hotel safe, because I would not trust him to be around anything that needs to remain a secret.  [ghost_smiley]