Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0047  (Read 1356 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0047
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:40 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0047
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
Joan looks nice in the robe, hair down.    Listening to her talk to N Barrett by the fire, I begin to hear her as she was in Scarlet Street.   Maybe it's because her voice goes up, occasionally.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:22:20 AM »
This is wicked:
Sam tells Roger that Bill is not at home. Roger wants to know how he knows this.
“Because I... begins Sam, because I know Bill, if he were at home, he'd answer the phone.
...his phone is right in the bedroom, if he were there, he couldn't have helped hearing it.”
How does Sam know that Bill’s phone is in his bedroom? It’s a pretty dumb thing to say if Sam is trying to cover up something he may or may not know about Bill’s whereabouts. Does Mrs. Johnson answer Bill’s phone in his bedroom?

Too bad Burke hadn’t thought to leave a tape recorder in Roger’s office when he left.

Uh oh. What happened to THE PEN?

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
Elizabeth is a real Chopin fan! In ep. 2, she played his C-minor Prelude. Tonight, she's playing the Etude no. 3 in E major, Opus 10. She and Carolyn look very romantic in their robes and with their hair down.

Roger blusters about returning THE PEN to Burke--but where is it?

Elizabeth seems to have had premonitions at various times in her life. Is this something that runs in the family? Surely she is thinking of Roger when she tells Carolyn, Perhaps the lamb has already gone to the sacrificial altar. But later on, when he returns home, she says Bill told her that he (R.) lied at Burke's trial and that he in fact was driving on the night of the fatal accident.

Maybe Sam was improvising about where Bill's phone was.

I like those segues: The tall foyer clock at Collinwood strikes 11:30, and in the next scene, the clock in Roger's office does too. Later, Bill's phone rings and rings, and in the next scene, Carolyn and Elizabeth fondly recall a Halloween trick that involved a ringing phone.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »
Elizabeth is a real Chopin fan!
Thanks for the identification of the music, DarkLady.  It was bothering me.

What a pity that Elizabeth's piano-playing got abandoned later in the series!  It's a nice part of her character.

Surely she is thinking of Roger when she tells Carolyn, Perhaps the lamb has already gone to the sacrificial altar.
She may have been thinking of Roger, but I immediately thought of the Leviathan altar, and imagined Roger strapped down and struggling..

I always think of the foyer as rather small – higher than it is wide – but there were a couple of shots today, one of them for the closing credits, that made it look very big and impressive.

How does Sam know that Bill's phone is in his bedroom?
Maybe Sam and Mrs. Johnson...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
*sputters with laughter*

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:33:46 AM »
I too, like when Elizabeth plays the piano.  This is an Art Wallace episode.   She confronts Roger and he lies like a rug about the trial.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
The Chopin that Elizabeth plays in this episode is very difficult and requires a right wrist of steel and absolutely independent fingers. I wonder when she found the time to practice--although she wouldn't have to worry about waking the neighbors if she decided to play after everyone had gone to bed.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »
That's a fascinating angle on Elizabeth, DarkLady.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
Thanks--I studied piano a long time ago.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
Yay, a mention of a holiday, though perhaps it isn't one at Collinwood, where everyday is Halloween.

We learn that Sam wasn't at Burke's public trial, and may very well have been the only adult in town that wasn't.  I wonder-- would Sam face prison there, 10 years later, as an accessory after the fact for merely not reporting what he saw, or did he physically help Roger with the cover-up?

Elizabeth seems to have had premonitions at various times in her life. Is this something that runs in the family?
Maybe, since later, [spoiler]Carolyn will take on her psychic abilities, as well as her talent at playing Chopin.[/spoiler]

I wonder what Liz was referring to when she told Carolyn:  "It happened once a long, long time ago. This fear."  But it was good to see Liz laughing since it happened so rarely, and I'm not including the wicked funhouse dream.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I wonder what Liz was referring to when she told Carolyn:  "It happened once a long, long time ago. This fear." 

At the time I assumed she was referring to the accident ten years ago. But, heck, I guess it could be anything.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.