Author Topic: the "language" of d.s.  (Read 7239 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: the "language" of d.s.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 12:05:51 PM »
"Mr. Barnabas...you gonna finish those fries"  (done in Ben Stokes voice, okay its not an actual series line, but when you say it like Stokes, it sounds right)

That one's certainly going to stick in my head, forever!    Like, maybe every other time Ben appears on the screen!

I'm the Antichrist, because I skip entire storylines.   After getting the tapes and watching twice or so, the Leviathans, parallel time in particular became things to have on in the background when at the computer.    I suspect Dan Curtis came up with the ones I don't like so much.   I have to say that parallel 1970 improves after they get "Jeckyl and Hyde" and Hitchcock's "Rebecca" out of their systems.    I've seen those movies.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 03:00:48 PM »
LMAO!  Very amusing!  Have you ever listened to Ron Barry's Dumb Shadows?  I can easily imagine Ron Barry doing that line with his great Stokes impression.
[hall_grin] I have the Ron Barry interview CD that Bobubas put out a few years back, which I love. I've never actually heard any episodes of "Dumb Shadows", but I got a feel for what they might be like. Are there tapes around? Bet i would like them.

Michael  [hall2_wink]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2005, 09:54:26 PM »
I have the Ron Barry interview CD that Bobubas put out a few years back, which I love. I've never actually heard any episodes of "Dumb Shadows", but I got a feel for what they might be like. Are there tapes around? Bet i would like them.

Get in touch with Bobubas.  He can probably hook you up with Dumb Shadows if he has any left.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2005, 02:56:34 AM »
I'd like to hear those sometime.   I keep wanting to do a parody (crossover with "The West Wing"?), but can't manage it yet.     I always thought a good title though would be "Dark Boom Shadows".
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2005, 04:36:33 AM »
........ I keep wanting to do a parody (crossover with "The West Wing"?),

THE WEST WING??!!!  Good Goddess!!  The dialogue on "West Wing" flies so fast Hummingbirds would have trouble keeping up!!  Can you imagine the actors on DS.....(no, I will NOT name names!!)..... trying to get their lines out that quickly?  [hall2_rolleyes]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »
Can you imagine the actors on DS.....(no, I will NOT name names!!)..... trying to get their lines out that quickly?

...gee, I wonder who Rainey means? [hall2_grin]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2005, 03:21:35 PM »
........ I keep wanting to do a parody (crossover with "The West Wing"?),
THE WEST WING??!!!  Good Goddess!!  The dialogue on "West Wing" flies so fast Hummingbirds would have trouble keeping up!!  Can you imagine the actors on DS.....(no, I will NOT name names!!)..... trying to get their lines out that quickly?  [hall2_rolleyes]

Tonight I did a bit more on a Dr Who/West Wing thing.    I love the sarcastic banter of (Sorkin) WW and it's very similar to me to Gilmore Girls... never considered that as a crossover until that very second, but well hey, it's available to be done too ain't it.

Believe it or don't, but I imagined President Bartlet rising up out of a coffin next to Barney Baby.    Bats and whatnot inhabit my brain.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 09:36:10 PM »
Rewatching Ep #337 for today I was reminded of one of my favorite expressions used on DS: seemingly doing everything you can for everyone only to be "rewarded with one slap in the face after another" for it. I love that scene between Barnabas and Dr. Woodard - and even though the expression isn't unique to DS, I always associate it with Barnabas whenever I hear it.  :D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »
Maybe we should just have a list of Julia-isms.  I swear, she's probably the character with the most personality traits:  her flickering, heavily-lashed eyes, the ever-present cigarette and smoker's cough, her catchy little phrases, her patent scream, her vast array of sedatives, her trusty black medical bag, her emphatic way of speaking, etc.

Regarding her "emphatic" way of speaking, I was watching my DVD's at lunch today and was thinking of the time when she was trying to convince Barnabas she could cure him and kept saying, "I KNOW, I *will* SUCCEED!!"  It was almost as if she was trying to convince herself as well as him, LOL!   [hall_rolleyes]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
People never going "what?" when someone says something weird: "That night must go nothing wrong"

LOL about saying "what?"  If I recall correctly it was Barnabas who said that, and to Julia, was it?  Anyway, it makes me wish that they COULD have had multiple takes, so that we'd have a blooper reel like other shows have.  Then maybe we would have seen/heard Grayson laughing at Jonathan and saying, jokingly, "Jon, are you drunk?!"   [hall2_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005, 08:38:58 PM »
I have the Ron Barry interview CD that Bobubas put out a few years back, which I love. I've never actually heard any episodes of "Dumb Shadows", but I got a feel for what they might be like. Are there tapes around? Bet i would like them.

Get in touch with Bobubas.  He can probably hook you up with Dumb Shadows if he has any left.

Hell Michael, I'll sell you mine, cheap!  LOL!  I think I'm too young to truly appreciate Dumb Shadows.   [hall2_rolleyes]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2005, 11:22:09 PM »
Every character on DS chronically said "must" instead of "have to", which Americans don't do.    Especially Julia, who would tell someone he/she has to do this or that... the other person asks why, then Julia replies, "Because you must!!!"    Well, Julia, as long as there's a good reason... all you had to do was explain...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2005, 12:30:10 AM »
Every character on DS chronically said "must" instead of "have to", which Americans don't do.
Apparently, you live in a part of the country that is free of those annoying advertisements on television and radio informing you of "special limited time offers" for which you "must act now." I envy you.  [hall2_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2005, 03:17:07 AM »
Hell Michael, I'll sell you mine, cheap!  LOL!  I think I'm too young to truly appreciate Dumb Shadows.   [hall2_rolleyes]

Indeed they are horrifically corny & really pretty bad.  BUT, Ron Barry does a pretty hilarious Thayer David impression. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005, 03:49:25 PM »
Apparently, you live in a part of the country that is free of those annoying advertisements on television and radio informing you of "special limited time offers" for which you "must act now." I envy you.  [hall2_wink]

LOL MsCriseyde, I envy them too.   [hall2_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"