Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0549  (Read 691 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0549
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »
Robservations #549

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0549

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:15 PM »
I did not like Barrett's OV-O.

I like smart Barnabas. Saves so much time & nonsense, his figuring Nicholas is behind Angelique's removal from the Old House drawing room. I really enjoyed the entire Julia & Barnabas segment. Barn's hopefulness, Julia's caution and their collaborative effort to reach some kind of conclusion was natural and easy. It gave me a sense of comfort.

Carolyn: "I burned the toast this morning." Stupid Carolyn is back, burnt toast notwithstanding. And she looks lovely in a blue skirt and pink blouse - really lovely. Adam tells Car about Nick & Cass and she insists it was a dream. And then gives Nick the same notion to use an an excuse. No Carolyn's not complex, she just stupid when the writers need her to be.

Nicholas creates a 'real' monster and Carolyn suffers for it. It's debatable whether Nicholas thinks Adam will attack Carolyn.

Roger finds Nicholas a Collins property. I thought Nick's place was Lang's old place or Seaview. It's not Seaview right?

Love the scene between Adam & Carolyn - nicely acted/written - of course I couldn't stomach the molestation. I really wish Carolyn would slap the living shit out of him. Barrett is off the charts acting wise. And Rodan is still very very good, IMO. They have excellent timing as a duo.

Well, with Angelique's resting place being at Nick's new place, a first time viewer really should expect her return sooner rather than later.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
Nicholas' home is always called the House by the Sea. I remember the phrase from the lost Viewmaster booklet of long ago.  During the long years without DS, I read that booklet over and over again to give myself some time to commune with what I had once had.

If they were aiming for any kind of continuity then, yes, it would be the same house that Vicki, Burke, and Barnabas visited in 1967, which Vicki described as "a house by the sea."  Vicki found a hankie I've always thought might have belonged to Flora Collins (it had a monogram that could have fit Flora).

The set for Nicholas' house is nearly identical to the Lang palazzo.  I guess you get to choose for yourself where and what it was.  Love the scene where Roger takes Nicholas there.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
Nicholas continues Adam's miseducation, telling him that a real man takes what he wants.

The arch at the House by the Sea is still as beautiful as ever. Nicholas and Roger have an interesting conversation there.

Adam has given careful thought to what Nicholas told him, and when Carolyn comes back to retrieve his breakfast tray, he suits the deed to the word. He tells Carolyn that he in fact loves her. Hearing him say it out loud means Carolyn can't pretend anymore that it isn't happening. Adam gets quite angry when he realizes Carolyn doesn't feel the same about him. You _will_ love me! he insists. It isn’t possible! she protests. He locks her in the room with him, and attempts to make her love him by rather awkwardly seizing her in his arms.

Nicholas has managed to move to the House by the Sea this very day, because he's roaming the halls in an elegant brocaded robe (gray of course). He opens a basement door, and there we see-- a coffin. [Has Nicholas taken Barnabas’s coffin to use for Angelique? Presumably Barnabas no longer needs it!] Sleep peacefully, Angelique, he tells its occupant. Things are about to start happening that you could never even imagine--and unlike yours, my plans will become reality....  (*sigh*)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
We know better, but I like how at the cliffhanger, we could look on Nick as being so weird as to keep Ang's dead body around just to have one-sided gloating conversations with, or something weirder...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:46:12 AM »
The deserted West wing is far from deserted with all the people coming and going. Why hasn't David found Adam yet?  Barnabas's coffin in in the basement and Nick says it Angeliques final resting place. We have to be close to the first episode that I watched as a kid. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times