Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0531  (Read 679 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0531
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Robservations #531

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0531

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »
It's always bizarre to me to hear Barnabas say, "Thank God" as he does to Julia.  ***  It's always funny to me, when a TV character can't see something or someone simply because it/he/she is out of camera frame, even when the thing/person has to be clearly visible.   Instead of Julia just looking in front of her and seeing Joe in front of her on the floor, Barnabas actually has to point Joe out to her, directing her to "look down there by the closet door"! .... as the camera moves down to include Joe...   What closet, by the way?

I think my idea of Barnabas the Hero from childhood has now been completely dispelled, by witnessing Barnabas and Julia, and later Barnabas and Willie taking all day to discuss taking Joe to the ER, with an old, established, beloved DS character, who was with the show from the beginning, wounded and possibly dying on the floor.   Sure, I dislike Joe now, the way they're depicting him in this storyline, but he was a great guy pre-Barnabas, and well played.   Barnabas talks about how crucial it is to get Joe to the hospital, and then... sits down in his nice comfortable chair.   

I know they have no phone, but why not call for an ambulance from Collinwood?   Vicki has the Dream.   The skull was well done for once.  See how easy that was?  Just have it rush at the camera.   They have Vicki narrate her dream before the dream room, with her visibly speaking after going in.  Not a bad effect.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:21:27 AM »
One must wonder what train of thought Adam was following when he brought Haskell to the Old House. Can learning words so soon lead one to plots of framing? Apparently so.

Barn is one or two night's sleep away from being recursed - stressful to say the least.  Hey, I remember you! Your the mean coercive Barnabas I keep thinking has learned his lesson. Willie was the comic relief today and this episode badly needed it. Though it didn't help much. The writing throughout left a lot to be desired.

Julia once again by trying to help him is reminded by Barnabas how she is not the woman of his dreams. Speaking of dreams, I'm so glad Vicki wasn't wearing her yellow nightgown. So we finally get to see the final dream sequence. And for all these weeks of waiting, we get a stock scream loop.

This episode left me wondering what Grayson Hall did during her days off. I'm not getting your distaste for Joe Haskell, Magnus, but I will agree to a certain extent that he is not the same man he used to be. The dream was okay but anticlimatic. Maybe Barn's dream will be the one to give me goosebumps, if he has it. I think I know how this is going to play out - but I haven't remembered anything so far so maybe once again I will be surprised.

Well, Magnus, I guess we know what Willie did over the weekend, he installed a new closet, lol.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
At the end of the previous episode, Barnabas was wearing his red velvet smoking jacket. But now, Joe tumbles out of the wardrobe, and Julia arrives a moment later. But somehow Barnabas has managed to stop the flow of time long enough for him to change into a suit jacket.

Barnabas tells Julia that he would rather die than see Angelique win with the dream curse. And I suppose he would rather die, because then he wouldn't become a vampire again. Julia kneels by his chair and puts her hands on his arm as she pleads with him to go far away so that Vicki can't tell him the dream. Julia even offers to go with him. But Barnabas gets out of the chair and walks away from her.

At the cottage, Vicki finally yields to her exhaustion. She falls asleep and has the dream. At the beginning, she spends a long time in the dark. Then, Barnabas is her beckoner and recites the poem, even though she keeps begging him to stop so that she can warn him. Her door turns out to be the Point of Return. When she opens it, a “blazing light” appears. As Barnabas’s voice echoes, “The point of return ... the point of return...,” she follows the sound through nondescript darkness back to the Old House, seen in a still that lasts 18 seconds. There she finds Barnabas lying picturesquely on the floor with the wolf's-head cane. We can see bloody bite marks on his throat. Presumably he is dead--close to the very spot where he was attacked by a bat almost two hundred years ago. Poor Vicki wakes up screaming, but as Dom says, fortunately she isn't wearing the ultravoluminous yellow nightgown.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:21 PM »
I didn't realize they showed a still of the Old House for 18 seconds, DL...... I like that they were willing to devote that much time to building mood and suspense.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 05:55:12 AM »
Sam Evans 1915-1968. Rest in peace? No, Cassandra is rising him from the grave. Now we have Dead Sam in a trench coat with dark glasses.  Why he was buried this way is not explained?  Cassandra and Barnabas do some verbal sparing and she reveals to audience she still has feelings of Love for her hubby.
Suddenly there is a closet in a house that would not have been designed for one.  Joe comes out of Barnabas's closet. A situation full of innuendo.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times