Author Topic: The July 9th Episodes (Spoilers!)  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The July 9th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« on: July 09, 2005, 09:44:11 PM »
While watching the July 9th eps I was reminded of how much I love the 1970PT storyline, chiefly because it relies on a good deal of human drama to tell its stories. Don't get me wrong, I also love DS' supernatural elements. The show simply wouldn't be the same without them. But I find DS most satisfying when the supernatural and the human are intertwined and 1970PT often does that beautifully. Ep #1054 is a perfect example of human drama, deception and manipulation coming to the fore. It's nothing short of mesmerizing to watch the scenes of Angelique manipulating Quentin into believing Maggie killed Carolyn and Roger masterfully steering Maggie's certainty that Quentin killed Liz. Add to that Angelique's taunts of the agony Julia will experience should she not choose to cooperate and reveal Barnabas' secret and the ep is really something quite wonderful.

In a similar vein, it's fascinating to watch the cruelty Barnabas will resort to in order to get done what he firmly believes must be done, and ep #531 is a perfect example of that. After discovering that Joe has been attacked by Adam, Barn needs to get Joe to the hospital ASAP, however, Willie refuses to drive them because 1) he believes Joe has always hurt him, and 2) with Joe out of the way, Willie believes he'd have a better chance with Maggie. True, Willie's beliefs aren't exactly operating from a point of complete reality (Joe's attitude toward Willie is perfectly justified because he still believes that Willie was Maggie's kidnapper - and Maggie simply sees Willie as a friend, whereas she loves Joe), but what does Barn do - he resorts to blackmail, threatening that unless Willie takes them he will lead the police to believe that Willie was the one who attacked Joe. Actually, that tact goes beyond being cruel. But as we know only too well, Barn subscribes to the belief that the ends always justify the means. Joe needs to go the hospital, and Barn isn't about to let what he perceives as Willie's silliness stop him from getting Joe there, so he resorts to persuading Willie in a way he knows will definitely get through.
(It's also interesting to note that apparently Barn couldn't drive a car yet - otherwise he could have simply driven Joe to the hospital himself. Perhaps one of the added "benefits" of Leviathans possession is that one instantly knows how to drive. Makes one wonder what other talents one might suddenly possess.  ;))

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The July 9th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 11:15:49 PM »
In a similar vein, it's fascinating to watch the cruelty Barnabas will resort to in order to get done what he firmly believes must be done....,  but what does Barn do - he resorts to blackmail, threatening that unless Willie takes them he will lead the police to believe that Willie was the one who attacked Joe. Actually, that tact goes beyond being cruel.

Thank you.  What a perfect description of the behavior I find so loathesome  in the character of Barnabas.  HIS ends justify all manner of despicable means.  Sort of like that vindictive blonde who's always out to get him.....[vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 09:49:04 PM »
HIS ends justify all manner of despicable means.  Sort of like that vindictive blonde who's always out to get him.....

That's very true. ::)  But there's often one very big difference between Barnabas and Angelique. The brand of his cruelty that Barnabas' exercised in ep #531 is for the greater good (i.e. Joe desperately needed to get to the hospital), whereas Angelique's cruelty is more frequently than not for her own amusement or selfishly for her own greater good. Though, of course, that's certainly not to say that Barnabas' methods are to be commended or condoned.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
  But there's often one very big difference between Barnabas and Angelique.

No, I don't think it's fair to say "often".  It happened, but certainly not "often".....and while it may seem like splitting hairs to you, it matters.  How can you ignore his "my-survival-at-all-costs" philosophy if you mean to discuss the character?  I think you give him too much credit for his infrequent attempts to be humane.  I , on the other hand, hardly give him any credit at all.

The truth is somewhere in between, I think.  :)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 11:09:54 PM »
I'm not really trying to give Barnabas credit in this particular instance. In fact, I said that his actions with Willie shouldn't be praised or excused and that they go beyond cruel. "Often" was probably a poor choice of term. Perhaps I should have used something like "sometimes." But my point that one can't necessarily lump Barnabas and Angelique into the same category is still a valid one.  ;)  Regardless of how infrequently they may or may not surface, Barn does possess redeeming qualities that display themselves more often than those that Ang might possess. And Barn rarely resorts to cuelty for his own amusement, whereas that's par for the course for Ang.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 01:20:16 AM »
Perhaps one of the added "benefits" of Leviathans possession is that one instantly knows how to drive. Makes one wonder what other talents one might suddenly possess.  ;))

What do you mean he instantly knows how to drive?  He jumps the curb and runs Quentin down. :o
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 07:50:09 AM »
     What do you mean he instantly knows how to drive?  He jumps the curb and runs Quentin down. :o

Very funny, but . . .

[spoiler]I always assumed he deliberately went after Quentin.[/spoiler]
Josette

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 04:31:07 PM »
     Of course he did, Josette.  It was meant tongue in cheek. :-* 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer