Author Topic: julia the liar (could be a spoiler)  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
julia the liar (could be a spoiler)
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
well, i about almost fell off my chair, when she told barnabas how she fooled liz after they found out she was a doctor.   "i meeeeereeeely substituted one lie for anotherrrrrrr....."  with that backward head tilt.  So proud and happy with herself that she got over, AGAIN!   i just went hysterical.    sometimes you catch things you never saw before.   

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: julia the liar (could be a spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »
I like your mention of the head tilt.  Yes, I don't remember that, it sounds like a good moment.  It doesn't make Liz sound too bright, does it?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
It's never seemed that way to me - in fact, more like the opposite.  My impression was that Julia didn't like what she had done - either for moral reasons, or because it still left her on shaky ground, or both.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:42 PM »
Oh, Liz was plenty bright. She was suspicious of Miss Hoffman right from the start. I suspect Liz didn't follow through because she had so many pressing issues going on at the time. Jason, Buzz & Carolyn, a strange cousin wanting to lease the Old House...
But Liz is plenty sharp. She knows the score.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »
Just think how convenient it was though to have Julia around. Liz also like to have someone around her age around. 

I always think that Julia was dancing as fast as she could to keep things moving along.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:32:55 AM »
The character of Julia Hoffman changed quite a bit over the course of the show.  Early JH was rather manipulative and self-serving, she was on a quest and woe to anyone who got in her way.  I don't think she cared much about lying in pursuit of her goal--which in her fictional mind would lead to an astounding medical discovery.

Later Julia had a serious conscious and cared about the Collins and their friends.  She didn't like using or lying to them. 

It happens a lot..I barely recognize the Monica of early Friends episodes with the neurotic mess of the last episodes. .  [ghost_tongue2]
Julia99

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 03:54:43 AM »
I never liked Friends.  But that isn't why we are here.  I loved the head tilt too.  Early Julia was [spoiler]much like Barbara Steele's ICY version in the 1991 version,[/spoiler] but not quit as cold.  She sure did change throughout the years and  I agree that she really did COME to love not only Barnabas but his family as well.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:24 AM »
but not quit as cold.

Oh, I don't know. Julia telling Sam that his absence could hasten the day that Maggie might recover wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy.  [ghost_nowink]  [spoiler]I think it's actually colder than Steele's Julia ever was.[/spoiler]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 04:21:45 AM »
WELL TO TELL YA THE TRUTH.  I am not a good judge as I have never had the chance to see early Julia on the original.  I started watching around VOLUME 20 on the original VHS tapes.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »
I did'nt like the way Julia lied about David's discovering of Barnabas's coffin.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
But what was Julia's alternative?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »
I did'nt like the way Julia lied about David's discovering of Barnabas's coffin.

I didn't either, but truthfully, Lydia has a point....what else could she have done at the time?

I suppose she could have hypnotized him, but it's unlikely it would have worked seeing as he didn't trust her anymore.

However, later on she does sort of make it up to him when [spoiler] she tells Elizabeth and Vicki that David is in fact telling the truth about the existance of Sarah. [/spoiler]