Author Topic: OT -- earthquake in los angeles  (Read 2139 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: OT -- earthquake in los angeles
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 04:22:35 AM »
The more small quakes you get, the lesser are the chances of a really big one.   If nothing happens for many years and you're near a fault, then watch out.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
I read that it was felt as far east as Las Vegas!  Aaaarggghhh!

I was in Las Vegas at the time, and I didn't feel a thing.  [idontknow]

I'm glad to know that everyone is all right, and I'm certainly glad that the quake didn't strike during the Fest (it would be awfully hard to take cover under those densely-packed folding chairs).  That would have made the event memorable for all the wrong reasons.  [homework]

KajunDC, the next time you visit California, you may want to check out the California Science Center (formerly California Museum of Science and Industry).  IIRC, it has an earthquake simulator.  There's also an "Earthquake" feature on the Universal Studios tram ride.

ProfStokes

Offline bananabry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 09:10:28 AM »
I was in mid-complaint when the quake struck.  I think God was telling me to shut up and get back to work.

We faired fine, as we work in a bomb-proof building.

I was a bit worried about my new WS TV, which I haven't braced yet, but it was OK, when I got to my place.

These quakes are always disconcerting.

[ghost_tongue]

It's odd, Prof, they said you could feel it in Vegas.  Perhaps you just thought someone had one a jackpot...?

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 03:53:26 AM »
I'm so glad our L.A. friends are okay.  But would you believe that we Chicagoans experienced a quake last April?  The epicenter of the 5.2 quake was in southwestern Indiana, but the shocks (and a 4.2 aftershock) were felt throughout the Midwest.  I've experienced a few minor tremors in L.A., but this was the first time I was ever awakened from a sound sleep by a persistent rolling of my house.  Unnerving, to say the least.  My clock read 4:37 a.m., and I remember turning on the radio to hear the all-night host say, "Okay, the phone lines have lit up all at once.  Something has happened."

Ben
(yes, the prodigal Ben . . . I know it's been ages, and I do wish I had been able to make the latest Fest) [ghost_sad]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 04:32:12 AM »
yes, the prodigal Ben . . . I know it's been ages

But we always love it whenever you can stop by, no matter for how short a time.  [ghost_smiley]