Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0049  (Read 1591 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0049
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0049
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
Start of day 6 now?   Diner:  Carolyn without subtlety settles for cup of joe with Joe, while gazing longingly at Burke's retreating backside.   Burke at Evans domicile obsesses on Sam's coffee, as a tribute to Bill Malloy I suppose.   I've been waiting for Nancy Barrett's face to start filling out and get rounder, and I think it's happening.   Maggie: "Where are we all headed?"   Good line, and good question, considering the writers have been changing their plans.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:39 AM »
I've been waiting for Nancy Barrett's face to start filling out and get rounder, and I think it's happening.   

How come?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:19:31 AM »
How come?

Because it does, I guess.   In the earliest episodes, her face is more angular than in later years.   I just wondered when it happened.   I'm also waiting to hear "I don't understand" from Vicki and "Dum dum DUM!!" for the first time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:00:46 AM »
I'm also waiting to hear "I don't understand" from Vicki

I just heard that recently, though I'm afraid not for the first time-- Roger caught Vicki at the drawing room doors and questioned her.  Here it is, from #37:
How long have you been standing in that doorway? demands Roger, horrified. I couldn't sleep, she replies, I came down to find something to read. To read or to listen? he asks. I don't understand, she says.
Sorry!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »
Day 5 or day 6? It's the morning after Bill missed the meeting.

When Burke went to visit Sam, Sam already had two cups ready for coffee--was he anticipating the visit?

All too soon, Sam switches from coffee to liquor. But in those blessed pre-product-placement days, someone carefully blacked out the brand name on the bottle.

Where are we all heading? Maggie asks her pop. After she leaves, he replies, Toward death, Maggie darling! Then he throws some paint at the sketch of Burke (on canvas).

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
Two diners in the diner.  Maggie might get some tips today.  For a much booze as Sam swills down, she needs to make good money.
Mitch Ryan reads almost every line off the telepromter. It's a good thing I wasn't DC as this would have been his last episode.
Maggie just takes off and leaves Carolyn in charge of the cafe.  Carolyn who earlier admited she could barely make tea.  I would have liked to see her waiting on customers and cooking and making change.  Well at least she has some job experience now for her resume.
Burke's unfinished painting looks like a monster head.  The sketch that Sam made was much better. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
When Burke went to visit Sam, Sam already had two cups ready for coffee--was he anticipating the visit?
Good old Dark Shadows.  Happens all the time.  I guess I can see the reason for it in this case, maybe: it might have diluted the tension if Burke had had to go to the kitchen to get himself a cup.  On the other hand, Burke could have grabbed Sam's coffee cup from him and told him to go get his own damned cup.  Meanwhile, I was trying to decide if those cups were the cups we see in some later episodes.  It's hard for me to tell, because the later episodes are in color.  The stripes looked the same, but these cups looked smaller.

Finally we get an idea of why Joe didn't dump Carolyn long ago, and we also get Burke showing his unpleasant side to Carolyn, so it seems to be less of a foregone conclusion that Joe and Carolyn will break up.  Is this because of the new writer?

Two diners in the diner.  Maggie might get some tips today.
Not if she's in the habit of abandoning her customers to go talk to her Pop.

Is the phone booth now a permanent resident in the coffeeshop?  And will we ever see Mr. Wells again?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
Mitch Ryan reads almost every line off the telepromter. It's a good thing I wasn't DC as this would have been his last episode.

And have to settle with [spoiler]Anthony George's more lackluster version sooner?[/spoiler]No thank you!

It's not like Ryan did it on a regular basis...he was pretty much right on target for a lot of the time during the first year of the series.  Though it is a well known fact that [spoiler]ultimately his drinking problem interferred with his role after Barnabas' appearance and that was what got him fired.[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »
Midnite had a midnight DS marathon!

Maggie reveals that she cooks the breakfasts that she serves.  Ugh.

Finally we get an idea of why Joe didn't dump Carolyn long ago,
Screen shots, anybody?

and we also get Burke showing his unpleasant side to Carolyn, so it seems to be less of a foregone conclusion that Joe and Carolyn will break up.  Is this because of the new writer?
Wallace wrote for the week, so I don't understand.