Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0046  (Read 1649 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0046
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0046
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:34:53 AM »
Chalkboard: Take #2.   Nice exchange-- VW: "David would kill me if I lost this (drawing of his)!"   Roger:  "My son might kill you even if you didn't."   The drawing isn't childish at all.   

Bill Malloy might be stating facts, when he tells Burke he's not as smart as Burke.   With someone to advise him, would he be pushing forward this recklessly, without bringing in others to watch his back?

Big Meeting starts.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:07:47 AM »
Nice exchange-- VW: "David would kill me if I lost this (drawing of his)!"   Roger:  "My son might kill you even if you didn't."   The drawing isn't childish at all.

Definately my favorite bit of dialogue from this episode.

That drawing appeared in an earlier episode as one of Sam's.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »
That drawing appeared in an earlier episode as one of Sam's.

I wondered.  I decided it wasn't, since I thought Sam's showed two wings coming at us, at angles, and this one looked more like it was a straight-head drawing of an outside wall.   I didn't get a good look at it, of course.  Definitely the same style.   If they had it lying around, why not use it twice?  So you must be right.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
At last, Vicki realizes that the man named Sam whom she met atop Widows' Hill was actually Sam Evans!

In these early days, the writers seem to be pitching Collinsport as some kind of artists' colony.

Great bit of dialogue with VW and RC! Earlier, when he glances briefly at the drawing, Vicki tells him, David has a lot of talent--and I won't let you kill that talent. He might kill you, Roger replies indifferently.

Later, when Vicki gets Roger to take a really good look at David's drawing, he comments, Collinwood, with all its dark shadows--he's captured it, all right.

Have we had our last scene with TWO bearded men?

Poor Vicki thinks that Sam's secret is that he knows who she really is! Roger laughs hysterically at this idea. Rushing to the meeting, he tells her, I don't have time to discuss it with you. But in true Collins fashion, he does have time for a drink before he leaves the house.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
Regarding 2 bearded men in scenes, did Petofi & Trask have scenes together?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
Have we had our last scene with TWO bearded men?
King Johnny and Count Petofi come to mind.  [ghost_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
Both absolutely right!  [ghost_grin]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
Poor Vicki thinks that Sam's secret is that he knows who she really is!
I loved that.  She's totally wrapped up in her own little world, and couldn't even grasp that Roger didn't feel like talking.

Whatever Bill's hole card may be - whether it's Sam's drunken statement or something else - I still don't believe that Bill can get Roger to admit to being the guilty party in that business of ten years ago.  Not if it means a prison sentence.  So I started thinking about giving Burke the opportunity to inflict grievous bodily harm on Roger.  Would Burke settle for that, and would Roger accept it as a way of getting Burke off his back?  I'm not talking amputation of anything - I'm just talking a serious whipping or something.  But I think Burke would insist on something more permanent than a whipping.

Mrs. Johnson, Bill Malloy's housekeeper, got a mention today, when Roger called Bill's house looking for him.  What's his house like?  I tend to picture Bill as the sort of guy who keeps house for himself and who is quite handy with a spatula and frying pan - be it for pancakes or eggs - but answering machines weren't common back then, so I guess they had to give him a housekeeper for Roger to talk to.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
Funny thing, in the early 60s a lot more people could afford maids or housekeepers.   My family had one briefly.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
Maybe Bill did his own bachelor-style cooking, but back in those days, cleaning was considered "women's work." Mrs. Johnson did a lot more work than just answering the phone.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:28:59 AM »
Sam and Roger show up at the office.  Does Malloy really believe that Sam and Roger are going to confess and set themselves up to be sent to prison?  I'm sure Roger would call anything Sam may have said as the ravings of a drunken madman.   
Considering his position at the plant, Malloy should be making a decent salary and easily afford the dollar and hour Mrs. Johnson is making, if that much.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
My take (a week late) on Bill's hole card is that he would get Sam to admit his lie in front of the others, leaving Roger to twist in the wind.  Sam admitted to Malloy already that he went to Collinwood intending to spill the whole story to Liz but couldn't do it.

Nice exchange-- VW: "David would kill me if I lost this (drawing of his)!"   Roger:  "My son might kill you even if you didn't."
Definately my favorite bit of dialogue from this episode.
Mine too.  [ghost_happy]

Wallace is given writing credit for this new batch of 5 eps.  His line repeated by DarkLady was the first mention of "dark shadows" on the series.

(Gregory Trask had ginormous sideburns, but did he have a beard?)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »
Nope, just the sideburns, and they were bad enough.  [ghost_cheesy]