Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0429  (Read 728 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0429
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Robservations #429

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0429

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
Fun intro - C. Blackburn does the OVO (somewhat rare), we see a dead tree cross our view (very atmospheric) and Ben brushes against a cross-shaped tombstone that wobbles. Is it me, or is the secret panel in the mausoleum somewhat fickle? Sometimes it closes on it's own but usually the enterer closes it.

I am tired of Barnabas being so nasty to Ben. I get it Mr. writer - Barn is bitter and angry - I get it. Interesting writing approach in the first scene, a little corny but very dramatic and engrossing. I was slightly reminded of some of the recitations on the DS LP. I loved the second half of this scene, Frid was awesome (even though he started off shaky). Thayer - Fab as per usual. Nice to have Joshua's reaction explained (if not seen), we don't always get this consideration. I have to ask - Did Joshua really see Barn's ring on Josette's hand? I don't remember that. I remember Natalie talking about the ring after seeing it in the portrait in the foyer and Joshua stating that the ring was an original (a fabulous line I wish I would have quoted) and that there was no copy (perish the thought, lol).

I am loving the color palate in this episode - I am sure it is the same it's always been but today I am taking note of it. And the camera work is quite marvelous (though not perfect throughout). The camera work during Trask & Abigail is piss perfect. And the lighting is excellent throughout as well. The tech's are cooking with gas! Back to Trask & Abigail - OMGoodness! What a fantastic scene, I just loved it. And Lacey was fa-law-less! I have to wonder if Trask really believes in witchcraft and what he is doing? Well, if I ever wanted to question Abigail's intentions I now have no doubt that she is a bad person - I mean, she is 'cheating' to win. What a bitch.

Peter ain't so dumb - he knows something's up. Well, that 's what I think anyway. Thank goodness Ben stops Barn from going after Peter - well, in a manner of speaking. I know there are some here who'd like nothing more than to get rid of Peter/Roger Davis, lol. I liked the closing scene - more dramatic lines uttered by Frid - I was going to accuse him of hamming it up but I really enjoyed his delivery. I especially liked that Barnabas states that he is not yet fully aware of all of his superpowers. It gives the writers great leeway with his not being able to do things that we as the audience might expect him to do. Not that that is the writers' intentions.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »
It did seem contrived to get one more Barn-strangling-Ben scene in, having Barbabas enraged at the very idea of Josette being buried.   Maybe his idea of what a dead body is has been radically changed, though.  Maybe that's what they were getting at.   Barnabas is appalled at the idea of burying someone/something who/which is not altogether unlike himself, someone on the death side of the line, even if she's not standing up and walking around, like Barnabas.   So burial would be like burying him, throwing dirt onto a still-existing soul as if she were garbage, when so much more might be possible for her.

So it seemed like a contrived start to the episode, but now that I think of the end of the episode, where Barnabas swears to bring her back, it all ties together and makes sense.

The Barnabas/Ben scenes were great.   J Frid is totally there and engaged.   "Riveting" is what I wrote in the notes.   His drive to wreak total havoc on everybody... understandable.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
Yes, dom, Joshua did see Barn's ring on Josette's hand back when she fainted in front of him and Natalie. That was back in ep. 422.

Judging from the frame grabs in the Robservations and the DS Wiki, I have to agree that the somber colors and lighting are wonderful.

Trask is in his element when he and Abigail have their strategy session. Nice job by both actors.

I suppose we are to infer that Peter is actually a noble human being when he fearlessly stands up to Trask's arguments and nixes his suggestion that he (P.) doesn't necessarily have to live such a hand-to-mouth existence. Peter's costume, by the way, is excellently done. His clothes, though neat, are almost as threadbare as Ben's.

Still more great moments for Barnabas and Ben. Once again, Ben nearly gets throttled but manages to stop Barnabas from killing Peter when he argues, That boy's the only chance Miss Winters has! Yes, the serial throttling is a bit annoying, but JF is totally committed, and by the end I was completely persuaded when Barn stands staring down at Josette's grave and declares passionately, I have made my own dark conquest of the grave. Hers will be next, I swear!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
I need to pay better attention.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:21:20 AM »
While I was watching 1795 a few months back, there was one episode that stood out to me.  I believe this was it.  I thought this episode had a fantastic script.  When I was watching these episodes, there seemed to be a lull in quality writing - good story, but not so superb dialogue, with a few notable exceptions.  This one seemed to nail it, though, through and through.  No episode since has stood out to me, and I'm at the introduction of Quentin.  To me, this episode is on par with those written by Violet Welles, and that is saying something, as I am a huge Violet Welles fan. 

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:06:11 AM »
"My rage will burst these walls." Great line. Barnabas wants to call Josette back from the dead. Why does he not think to use his powers to vanquish the threat to everyone before he tries to restore the object of her hate back to life.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times