Author Topic: DS Scripts Online  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
DS Scripts Online
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:14:17 AM »
I found this nifty little website that has a bunch of television and movie scripts housed on it, that you can view, read, print all for free! And it just so happened that....

THEY HAD THE PILOT SCRIPT FOR THE 90s REMAKE!

So I read through all 133 pages (JESUS!) of it. I was surprised it was so long. I haven't seen the remake series, but hopefully will be getting a copy of the DVDs soon. Was the Pilot episode two hours long? Maybe this script was split in half at some point and used for two episodes. I was totally surprised at how long it was since usually TV scripts are like 30-60 pages.

Anyway, head over there and take a gander at it. I thought it was a great read, and really well written, though with no clearly expressed act breaks, it was hard to imagine where the commercials would've been.

There's also a number of other scripts on the site. Many more movie scripts than TV scripts though.

Here's the site:

www.dailyscript.com

And just click on "TV Shows" and scroll down. The DS script is one of the first few listed. Enjoy!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: DS Scripts Online
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:32:42 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! If you have a VHS see if you can hunt down the VHS copies. They include footage not shown on TV (or in the DVD set) and the DVD set scenes are not color corrected, so some night scenes quite obviously show up as day!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:12:14 AM »
Yes, the '91 series' pilot was 2 hours. The Shadows In The '90s: THE DARK SHADOWS CONCORDANCE 1991 contains a summary of all the scenes from the pilot script that were shot. Several of those scenes were restored in the MPI VHS release of the pilot, though not all (though at least one of the unrestored scenes appears on MPI's DS Resurrected - which is an absolute must for all fans of the '91 series). Also, a few scenes in the script were actually rearranged in the final edit of the pilot. For example (a spoiler follows which unfortunately won't be unable to be read by anyone except Midnite and I until spoilers are fixed) [spoiler]the scene in which Julia hypnotizes Daphne appears later in the pilot script, the scene where Barnabas meets Julia and Daphne collapses appears much later in the pilot script - it' the final scene (and personally I much prefer the scene in which Barnabas chases after Sarah as the ending), and the scene where David hides his father's painting in his desk and then takes Vicki to Roger's studio is scripted in the pilot but it didn't actually air until the 5th hour of the series. (But then, it wasn't the only scene that was scripted for one episode but ended up being edited into another.)[/spoiler]

Thanks so much for posting the link to the script because it will be very interesting to see which scenes from the script were never actually shot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:34:52 PM »
While we're on the subject of the VHS vs. DVD copies of the remake--are there any other differences? Color correctness has been noted, as well as the additional footage on the VHS's. My question is this: Does the DVD set have extras, and if so, what are they? Because if it has more extras than the VHS, I might just go for the DVD. What's the additional footage on the VHS too?
Brandon Collins

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 05:50:59 AM »
The additional footage on the VHS is actually in place in the episodes where it was meant to be seen. The DVDs contain the following extras: 0

There's nothing extra in the DVDs, they contain only the episodes themselves.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:07:38 AM »
The DVDs contain the following extras: 0

There's nothing extra in the DVDs, they contain only the episodes themselves.
Hey, I think you're leaving out two extras on the DVDs:

(1) black bars at the top and bottom of the screen
(2) extra light in the day-for-night shots

These add so very much to the viewing experience. They ought not be overlooked.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
Boo! No extras on the DVDs? Are they CRAZY? What's the point in buying them? I guess I'll look into the video copies. That way I don't have to watch the DVDs and think "This show sucks" because of their stupid screw ups.

Only thing that drove me towards the DVDs in the first place was the fact that I didn't want to get the VHS' because I was afraid that if I got them off ebay that they'd be of poor quality. Guess I'll try my luck.
Brandon Collins

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »
Hey, I think you're leaving out two extras on the DVDs:

(1) black bars at the top and bottom of the screen
(2) extra light in the day-for-night shots

These add so very much to the viewing experience. They ought not be overlooked.  ;D

LOL! So very true!