Author Topic: Elizabeth and Her Horoscope  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Elizabeth and Her Horoscope
« on: September 01, 2003, 04:31:38 AM »
I responded to a comment on the SciFi Board and since I get so irritated about this situation, I thought I'd post my reply here, too.

I can understand a normal person not believing in ghosts and time travel.  But, these people all saw Quentin and rushed off to the Old House to avoid him until the situation was "corrected."  They all saw the Parallel Time room and their look-alike counterparts and that Barnabas and Julia disappeared there, and so were definitely in PT.  Presumably they all believed this.

Now, Barnabas and Julia, whom they all know and apparently trust, come back.  True, the story of ending up in 1995 and coming back from then sounds quite strange.  But, since they believe the first part, and since they trust the people telling this, one would think they would believe it, or at least consider it highly likely and take steps to help them prevent the disaster.

Instead, "sensible" Elizabeth, suddenly decides to believe in horoscopes, commissions one from someone she never met, and believes that over her trusted friends.  They can't even try to get the children to safety "just in case" because it would upset her or she thinks it would upset them.  After all, her horoscope said nothing would happen!!!

It really infuriates me.
Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Elizabeth and Her Horoscope
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 03:13:31 PM »
It's terribly sloppy writing is what it is. I hate when shows retcon their characters. Drives me up the bloody wall.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 02:40:41 AM »
But the supernatural-events-are-not-possible speeches are most aggravating when they are spouted by Barnabas, Julia, & Quentin.

Now that's sloppy writing!

>:(
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 05:44:04 AM »
I never thought about it before, but you guys have an incredibly valid point!

There are some incredibly silly moments in this storyline [spoiler]...Quentin's star speech and show down with Gerard, anyone?[/spoiler]

Sometimes I think the writers just didn't know what to do with their characters, so they made them act incredibly out of character just to have them do something.

~Arashi

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 10:47:09 PM »
It totally bugs the hell out of me when this happens. Elizabeth is driving me nuts, she's treating Barn. and Julia like they're some freaks that are making all of this up.

And David's driving me nuts too, he won't tell Julia a thing about anything that has happened, not about Rose Cottage or The Playroom. And this is vital information on possibly saving collinwood!

[spoiler]Since Sebastien Shaw just had to lie, and not mention about David dying, nobody believes Julia or Barnabas[/spoiler]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 05:01:10 AM »
It's interesting that while she seems to trust Sebastian, when he tells her NOT to go to the room (and all her trusted friends echo that), she does - but that's what finally convinces her and she is FINALLY ready to remove the children - but it's too late!!
Josette

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 09:26:59 PM »
It's interesting that while she seems to trust Sebastian, when he tells her NOT to go to the room (and all her trusted friends echo that), she does - but that's what finally convinces her and she is FINALLY ready to remove the children - but it's too late!!
DS has a history of changing the motivations and moods of characters on a dime.

And when characters are under the control of a ghost or a cult and their entire personality changes (Quentin/Daphne, Julia/Gerard, Barnabas/Leviathans) and they turn on one another, the others just stand around politely, wondering what the problem is.

For instance, in the current storyline, I'd like to see Julia slap Quentin hard across the cheek and yell, "Snap out of it!"

>:D

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 10:58:57 PM »
Well, now we know why Quentin ended up the way he did in 1995, and deservedly so. What an idiot.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 01:18:33 AM »
Well, now we know why Quentin ended up the way he did in 1995, and deservedly so. What an idiot.

LOL!  Well put, Dom. [chkyy]
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer