Author Topic: Logged & IP Adds  (Read 969 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Logged & IP Adds
« on: February 28, 2005, 10:17:21 PM »
So, I see where my IP add. shows up, and everyone else lists 'logged'.

I put my cursor near this, and a large ? appeared, so, I clicked it. There's a message that the IP is only visible to me & mods (which I knew), but it also states that IPs frequently change...is this true? and if so, why/how do they change?

I guess...how do IPs get their numbers...?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: Logged & IP Adds
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 06:40:18 AM »
Unless you pay for static TCP/IP addresses, they are shared numbers.  Explains why in certain areas, you may get a message that you can't be logged onto your Internet.  Too many folks in your area may be using it.

Whenever you re-boot your computer and/or Internet connection, the numbers will change.  Dial-ups will always get different numbers since they log onto a fresh connection each time.  For DSL or Cable Modem, the TCP/IP addresses change less frequently depending on whether or not you have a router and/or if you re-boot your DSL/cable modem and how frequently you do so.

It's more expensive to have static numbers and for the average person, they don't need it.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 02:12:44 AM »
So, just now, Norton told me 'yada yada' tried to access me, from IP 0.00.00 (all zeroes).

How is this possible? Are creeps that do 'bad things' able to block their IPs?

Thanks,,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:44:36 AM »
So, just now, Norton told me 'yada yada' tried to access me, from IP 0.00.00 (all zeroes).

I've seen Norton do this when certain software was being installed and/or drivers were being upgraded, particularly with ATI video cards. On that particular machine, we wound up having to yank out the network cable and disable Norton Personal Firewall in order to get the ATI drivers to install properly. So that message doesn't necessarily mean an intruder has accessed your machine.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)