Author Topic: Any news/gossip from Burbank yet?  (Read 8696 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Any news/gossip from Burbank yet?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 11:45:54 PM »
Enthusiasm is great, original big entrances are great.   I'm glad people enjoyed it.   I wouldn't have.    A different big entrance, maybe.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 11:54:25 PM »
I wouldn't have enjoyed it either. It just seems... tacky. And it probably alienated a large group of the fans there.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
when i first heard the music (quentins theme)playing, i thought he was going to come in dressed as quentin like he did at the halloween party at the vista. now that would have been an entrance!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 01:46:35 AM »
If I flew all the way across the country to a DS Fest, I'd want to hear David Selby talking about Dark Shadows, not about who he's supporting for President.

Word.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 01:52:36 AM »
Well he ( Selby) could come in dressed like Little Bo Peep and I'd be thrilled.  I don't mind any of them discussing their interest or political views.  I kind of enjoy seeing the whole person and not just the "actor" part.  It sounds like it was all done in a fun way and that most enjoyed it for what it was.  A grande entrance done in true Collins style.
PS-
So I take it Jim Storm was not there this year?
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:17 AM »
I kind of enjoy seeing the whole person and not just the "actor" part.

I feel the same way. One doesn't have to agree with actors' views to still enjoy learning about them. I won't mention names, but there's definitely one DS actress whose political views I couldn't disagree with more, but ti's still interesting to hear them and even challenge her about them.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 02:16:24 AM »
Good way to put it MB!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 03:02:46 AM »
oh mysterious you're killing me!

i didn't know any of the d.s. actresses had publicly expressed any political views one way or the other.

give us a hint!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 03:15:16 AM »
OK. Two DS actresses who have been very good friends for years are at completely opposite ends of the political spectrum. It's actually quite fascinating that they're as good friends as they are because, according to one, they often argue politics - sometimes heatedly.

How's that?  [ghost_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 03:33:21 AM »
Well that is pretty simple.  LOL I can probably guess which party they each belong to as well.  [ghost_tongue2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 03:41:04 AM »
Oh yes, that clears everything up MB!

It's great to express political views.   It's taking that and making a big spectacle out of it that I don't like.... the thing I'd dislike the most, though, is being subjected to rap, and rap by a white guy, who thinks it's an appropriate thing to do just because the candidate's black.   (He's half black, half white actually.)    His heart's in the right place of course.

On the other hand, it's absolutely no business of mine what he says or how he expresses it.   He should do whatever the hell he wants, no matter what I think.  

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:13 AM »
Those are great videos Joe.  Thanks.  I saw Frid's and Karlen's act which was wonderful.  I didn't see Selby's so this was a treat.

Joe's videos are beautifully produced so what I have to offer is not so much "video" but the audio portion of Karlen's talk on Friday.  It was called "Willie Remembers" and he talked as Willie about getting blood for Barnabas and being bitten.  Three short segments as a flavor to his 45 minute talk.  Here are the links:

http://tinyurl.com/5wgs4l
http://tinyurl.com/6j48y4
http://tinyurl.com/6g8dm9
http://tinyurl.com/6bcurk
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 05:18:25 AM »
So I take it Jim Storm was not there this year?

Right, he wasn't.  :(

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
If I flew all the way across the country to a DS Fest, I'd want to hear David Selby talking about Dark Shadows, not about who he's supporting for President.

But what he had always been scheduled to speak about was Lincoln's Better Angel and he did so at length.  Obama was mentioned while he discussed hope, a theme in the novel, but since Lincoln is a major character in the story, a good deal more focus was given to the Gettysburg Address than to which candidate the author considers supporting.

The subject of the questions then asked in the Q&A were left up to the audience and most had to do with DS and Selby's other acting roles.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
Due to time constraints I can only very briefly tell you what I thought the highlights and lowlights were of this years' Fest:

Jonathan Frid coming to the Fest and showing us his true love for us fans and showing that he can still certainly entertain us with his readings and remembrance of DS. His presence on the stage and at the Fest was beyond magical. God bless him. His signing of autographs for the banquet attendees is so greatly appreciated by me.

Darren Gross' presentation of the restoration of the Night of Dark Shadows. That was great to see one of the never before scene's footage.  I think he deserved a better time slot and more time.

The Collinsport Players skits were so very entertaining as usual.

Frank Borzellieri's presentation on his new book The Physics of Dark Shadows.

The repeat airing of the 2004 WB pilot.

The other actor's sharing their remembrance of DS and showing that they are still thriving with their respective projects.

Some negative things:
The hotel. A good choice but incredibly bad timing as the hotel was undergoing major renovations. I think the construction was way behind schedule.
The sound system. The microphones were not working on many instances. I am sure it was the hotel's fault as the sound system is normally excellent in past Fest years.
The banquet food. Vegetarian lasagna. If you managed to eat it you walked out of the banquet about 10 pounds heavier. lol I think we should stick to the chicken.
The new movie discussion "panel". I expected some additional news on the project. Unfortunately all we were told was that the script was being worked on and that after it is nailed down and approved by the producers and the studio that casting can then begin; that the DS movies on DVD are directly tied to the new DS movie's release.