Author Topic: Colonial Maine  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Colonial Maine
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:05:24 AM »
If you've ever wondered what Maine might have been like in the early Colonial era (1628), one of the best things I've seen on television in a LONG time is airing this week and next:  Colonial House on PBS.

Apparently this was filmed in Maine, so we get a good chance to see what the real thing looks like.

I can't remember my Collins family history well enough to know if there were any Collinses in Maine yet at this time -- it seems very unlikely if the DS writers knew their history, because life as lived by the people on this series was fairly primitive.  Hard physical labor from sunup to sundown -- not a lot of fun.

I'm thinking that the Miranda du Val/Judah Zachary flashback took place in the late 1600s -- perhaps 60-70 years after the period of "Colonial House."

I don't know what it is about these PBS shows, but they sure are 1,000 times better than the commercial networks superficial, crude sex-laden reality shows.

Which isn't to say that some very realistic aspects of life are not depicted on this show!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Colonial Maine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:15:19 AM »
I can't remember my Collins family history well enough to know if there were any Collinses in Maine yet at this time

All we know is that Collinsport was founded in the late 17th century. Who knows if Collinses may have lived elsewhere previous to that point or simply sailed over and founded the village the moment they stepped foot on dry land?  :D

I'm thinking that the Miranda du Val/Judah Zachary flashback took place in the late 1600s

Yes, 1692. And the earliest we ever saw Collinses was the 1680PT flashback.

As for Colonial House, I taped last night's show but haven't seen it. I hope to before I tape tonight's show (which won't be until 4am when it's repeated.  ;))

I don't know what it is about these PBS shows, but they sure are 1,000 times better than the commercial networks superficial, crude sex-laden reality shows.

I'll grant you that superficial is boring. Crude can be a bore as well. But sex-laden entertainment definitely has its place.  [wink2]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:27:14 AM »
Isn't there mention of the family home being brought over stone by stone from England, where it originall was, at some point in the series?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:37:11 AM »
I get so frustrated with the people in these shows.  I forget how many thousand people they said applied for it and they had to choose just these few people.  Surely, with all that (I can't believe that many would actually want to subject themselves to this!!) they could find people more willing to cooperate with the situation.

I remember the same thing happening in the British Manor House.  I can understand if they griped about how hard the work is, etc., as long as they cooperate and try to do it.  It would make sense for modern day people to be quite taken aback by all they have to do.

But, everyone rebels against their positions and how people behaved.  In this one several refused to go to the church services, although it was required and obviously an important part of life back then.  They would do other things against the rules, etc.  The women didn't like not having a say in how things were run, etc.  It's not as though they would be stuck in this new life forever and felt a need to rebel.  They were playing a part for a few months.  One would think they would go along with all of those things as much as they could, to more get the feel of what it was really like.

I think the producers or whoever could have managed to do better selections to get those who would really cooperate with the full spirit of the enterprise.

There was an article in our paper last week about a local man who wrote their religious texts - he didn't want to make it a Puritan colony or like Jamestown, which was Church of England, or a more non-secular place, so he had to write appropriate texts for them.  That did make me wonder about the Collinses - the non-secular example was a fishing town in Maine - we never did see any hints of religion (other than the Trasks) in DS.
Josette

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 06:21:41 AM »
I'll grant you that superficial is boring. Crude can be a bore as well. But sex-laden entertainment definitely has its place.  [wink2]

Particularly if it takes place at Collinwood.  [wink2]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
Isn't there mention of the family home being brought over stone by stone from England, where it originall was, at some point in the series?

Barnabas expalins how that took place in the pilot episode of the '91 series. But the only history we get of Collinwood in the daytime show was that Jeremiah built it for Josette - and 1795 rewrites that history, so it's anyone's guess how/why the Collinses would have built a house patterned after a French chateau. (Though I suppose that's more appropriate than if they'd built a hacienda.  [wink2])

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:49:55 PM »

But, everyone rebels against their positions and how people behaved.  In this one several refused to go to the church services, although it was required and obviously an important part of life back then.  They would do other things against the rules, etc.  The women didn't like not having a say in how things were run, etc.  It's not as though they would be stuck in this new life forever and felt a need to rebel.  They were playing a part for a few months.  One would think they would go along with all of those things as much as they could, to more get the feel of what it was really like.

I agree, Josette.  They seem to be treating the situation like an uncomfortable camping trip instead of trying to emulate the attitudes of the people of the past.  However, some of the people there would have been flogged for some of their behaviors.
     This was filmed in Maine but the exact location was kept a secret so there would be no tourists interupting filming.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 05:33:56 PM »
I've only caught small bits and pieces of these "what was it really like" shows.....but I have to wonder what the criteria was for the selection of the participants.

If they wanted people who would really get INTO what they were doing, they should have auditioned people who are already involved in historical re-enactment.

I have friends who are Revolutionary War and Civil War re-enactors who are fanatical about the historical accuracy of their clothes, utensils, weapons, speech...everything.  These are people who would take very seriously a commitment to live the part.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 12:13:27 AM »
Funny, I had read about a similar thing in one of my then 12 yr old daughter's magazines; a family going back in time.

Yes Josette, no ifs/ands/buts, you went to church for approximately 3-4 hours EVERY Sunday.

It was physically uncomfortable and MANDATORY.

I agree about the people 'whining'...but, I couldn't do it (nor, would I want to).

Rainey, I too have a couple of Civil War people, who will walk around my town in freeze or severe heat in the full gear....they try to be meticulous...

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 01:09:58 AM »
Barnabas expalins how that took place in the pilot episode of the '91 series. But the only history we get of Collinwood in the daytime show was that Jeremiah built it for Josette - and 1795 rewrites that history, so it's anyone's guess how/why the Collinses would have built a house patterned after a French chateau.

I personally didn't like the "explanation" for the building of Collinwood (i.e. transferred stone by stone from Europe or whatever) that was added to the 1991 series ... can't really explain why, just that it wasn't said to be that way in the original series.  If there had been a new WB series, I feel we would have gotten even further away from the original stories and intentions, and that was one thing I felt trepidation about.  Guess I'm an old series purist!

Josette wrote:

I think the producers or whoever could have managed to do better selections to get those who would really cooperate with the full spirit of the enterprise.

You make a very good point, Josette.  I was vaguely thinking the same thing after last night's episode but hadn't thought out the implications to the extent you did.  I think what you say may affect my enjoyment of the series somewhat, but you are right.  I felt, too, that the one couple especially who voiced an anti-Christian bias and wanted to do their own thing on the sabbath were not keeping with the spirit and intentions of the whole colonial enterprise they were supposed to be a part of.  I also felt that the governor was weak in basically saying that he wouldn't enforce the church attendance requirements.  The authenticity of the experience really dropped out at that point, as well as with other complaints.  While on the one hand, there have always been dissenters even in the colonies (some of them were later accused of witchcraft), this did seem like "well, we don't like it and we're not going to do it, even if that was the authentic way which was enforceable by law."  I'm not making a judgment on their opinions for today's world, just within the context of the series.

And while obviously no one who experienced homosexual attractions would ever have dared to voice that, I guess in one sense it makes the show more interesting when there is some give and take between our world and the colonial world.

I wonder, too, if the producers might have DELIBERATELY been looking for just this sort of thing  -- potential conflicts, strong-willed people, etc. -- in the interest of making the show more entertaining.  Rather than a re-enactment, it looks like the producers have an eye for modern realism and concerns and more "dynamic" television.

Josette also wrote:

That did make me wonder about the Collinses - the non-secular example was a fishing town in Maine - we never did see any hints of religion (other than the Trasks) in DS.

I don't think that's quite accurate -- although I don't remember the details any more that I have accumulated and posted about some years ago, there are many references to prayer throughout the length of the original series, certain biblical references, references to church, reading the Bible, doing the Lord's work, etc. -- and I'm not talking about Trask in any of these cases.  Several such references were in the 1840 storyline, but weren't limited to that storyline.

MB wrote:

And the earliest we ever saw Collinses was the 1680PT flashback.

Ooooo, I'd forgetten this.  And unfortunately I can't remember it.  I'm guessing that this must have been in the final storyline of the series ... which I missed the last time round on SciFi.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995