Author Topic: Joan Bennett: "Hackneyed Dialogue" on DS  (Read 794 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett: "Hackneyed Dialogue" on DS
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
Fans,

looking through the Collinsport Historical Society site, I found this clipping from what is clearly a late Summer or Early Fall 1966 newspaper article interviewing Joan Bennett about her work on DS.  If this clipping was passed around by fans in the early years, it may account for why the story spread for awhile that Joan "hated" being on DS:

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2012/01/joan-bennett-talks-dark-shadows.html

Note that in the interview, she refers to already having a contract to do a play in February 1967--Liz's first "breakdown" as a result of a certain plot incident coincided with this.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Bennett: "Hackneyed Dialogue" on DS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »
If this clipping was passed around by fans in the early years, it may account for why the story spread for awhile that Joan "hated" being on DS

I have so much to get done today that I probably won't get to check out that article until late tonight. But if it's the one in which she also complains about her terrible wig, then it's been infamous in fandom for decades.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »
MB, I think I know the wig(let) article--NY Times and was illustrated with a great photo that had Bennett and Edmonds on the basement set.

This seems to be a different one.  I'll be interested to hear whether you recall having seen it or not before.  I hadn't.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 04:24:45 AM »
Joan wasn't one to pull punches, was she? I seem to remember an article from back then that criticized how she was lit. Can't remember if Joan was complaining or if it was just someone writing about the show.
Fade Away and Radiate