Author Topic: Questions, questions...  (Read 1951 times)

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« on: January 11, 2005, 10:24:47 AM »
Hello cousins!  (Hey, I heard that since everyone is related somehow, we're all at least 5th cousins.)   Well this is my 1st post, yay!  ;)  I'm glad I found this forum.  Good to see that there are so many fans.  I'm just going to begin with a barrage of questions.... I was wondering if anyone knows of any channels that are considering putting Dark Shadows back on the air.  For a while I had been watching it in the mornings on Sci Fi, but it was stopped rather suddenly.  Also, does anyone know what happened to the pilot for the new Dark Shadows series for the WB?  And finally, do they have the dark shadows revival series (from early 90s) out on dvd?  Thanks!
Peace
Mel

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Questions, questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 10:48:06 AM »
....I was wondering if anyone knows of any channels that are considering putting Dark Shadows back on the air.  For a while I had been watching it in the mornings on Sci Fi, but it was stopped rather suddenly.

Howdy cousin...
If you search around, you'll find all this stuff's been discussed A LOT on here, but...

No, no channels are considering putting it back on at the moment.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the pilot for the new Dark Shadows series for the WB?

It went down the tubes.   Finished....kaput.

And finally, do they have the dark shadows revival series (from early 90s) out on dvd?

No.  (unless I'm really out of it and unaware)

-CLC
 ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 09:37:15 PM »
Right now, we've had no definite news about the original DS being picked up for TV again. There have been various letter campaigns to SOAPnet, and a new network, the Horror Channel, expressed interest in the show, but nothing has come of it so far.

MPI has announced that it does not (at this time) plan to release the 1991 series on DVD; in fact, they plan to put the videos out of print too.

For various reasons, the WB declared the new DS pilot "unsalvageable."  It's unlikely that the entire thing will ever air anywhere, although the DS Festival did show clips last August and some sort of presentation is also planned for the July, 2005 weekend.  There was recently an article in Fangoria magazine by one of our resident cousins, Darren Gross, that covered the rise and fall of the pilot plans.

ProfStokes

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »
   You know what I find sad? That soapnet can pick up "90210" quicker than they can give "DS" a second thought.

As the others said, the revival series from '91 is NOT out on DVD, yet. Maybe they're waiting to get all the original series on dvd before they put that one out. At any rate, I hope there's commentary, if they DO put that one out on dvd. Even so, I'd be one of the first to dash to the stores if it ever came out. :) Been thinking about that rendition a lot lately. Not to mention my mom teases the hell out of me b/c she has them all on vhs. :sigh: ~DJ

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:58:25 PM »
Folks who like that 1991 series should buy the tapes NOW because MPI is going to let them go out of print.

Even though I can barely stand most of that series, I've considered getting a set, because of a couple of performances and moments that I did enjoy.  I think space considerations are winning that particular battle at the moment, unfortunately...

There is, or used to be, a book about the 1991 series available from Pomegranate Press.  It included sketches and notes for the second season so you can get an idea where they were going to take the story.  I bet that book is out of print too, but you could probably find it cheap on eBay.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 05:13:30 PM »
There is, or used to be, a book about the 1991 series available from Pomegranate Press.  It included sketches and notes for the second season so you can get an idea where they were going to take the story.  I bet that book is out of print too, but you could probably find it cheap on eBay.

Dark Shadows Resurrected-- in hardcover (only).  There's also MPI's Dark Shadows Resurrected, the video, described here.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »
Kathy Resch (of The World of DS fanzine) also published SHADOWS IN THE '90S: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991. It contains lots of info that isn't included in the PomPress book. But I have no idea if it's still in print.

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:52:15 AM »
I was hoping that SoapNet would begin airing DS.  Sad to hear it's not to be.  A long shot might be TV Land or even Nick at Nite.  Although TV Land is devoted to older shows (and DS definitely qualifies!).  Back in the day, didn't they used to show Alfred Hitchcock and The Twilight Zone?  And I have a question regarding previous posts - what show are you referring to when you talk about "RD"?  It's driving me batty trying to figure it out! [blackbat] [blackbat]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 08:32:56 AM »
And I have a question regarding previous posts - what show are you referring to when you talk about "RD"?  It's driving me batty trying to figure it out! [blackbat] [blackbat]

LOL, "RD" refers to Roger Davis, the Mysterious Benefactor's favorite actor  ;) and a popular guy on this board.

ProfStokes

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »
Ahhh!  Thank you for enlightening me, Prof Stokes.  Yes, I've reaad the many posts about RD and his hair.  Poor fellow - should he ever go bald there goes his acting career! LOL  I'm sure I'll have lots of silly questions in the future.  Thanks for being so kind.

Countess

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 05:49:58 PM »
For various reasons, the WB declared the new DS pilot "unsalvageable."  It's unlikely that the entire thing will ever air anywhere, although the DS Festival did show clips last August and some sort of presentation is also planned for the July, 2005 weekend.  There was recently an article in Fangoria magazine by one of our resident cousins, Darren Gross, that covered the rise and fall of the pilot plans.

I don't know if it's done anymore, but back in the days before 24/7 saturation of tv programming, pilots for series that were not picked up would usually get at least a token airing.

You know, the tv guide listing would synopsize the show with a note that "this is a pilot for a series that has not been picked up." or something like that.

*keeps fingers crossed* :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 07:09:14 PM »
I don't know if it's done anymore, but back in the days before 24/7 saturation of tv programming, pilots for series that were not picked up would usually get at least a token airing.

If only. But in the WB pilot's case that seems unlikely. As has been reported, several of the pilot's special effects were never actually completed and at this point it's not likely that anyone will pay to finish them. The lack of completed effects also seems to be a huge stumbling block to the pilot ever being released on video/DVD.  :'(

Re: ProfStokes answering the RD question:
Thanks for being so kind.

Ditto.  :)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 03:13:38 AM »
If only. But in the WB pilot's case that seems unlikely. As has been reported, several of the pilot's special effects were never actually completed and at this point it's not likely that anyone will pay to finish them. The lack of completed effects also seems to be a huge stumbling block to the pilot ever being released on video/DVD.  :'(

Ah, I had not realized that the pilot wasn't completely complete :)  Well, hope springs eternal.  Perhaps it might make it as an extra on another release.  After all, Disney released their "work in progress version of Beauty and the Beast."  :P  ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 08:25:50 AM »
If anyone in the LA area would like to view the 1991 Revival videos, the Shadows in the Sun fan club is going to host a complete viewing and discussion of the show in 2005.  We will also tie in field trips to LA's Collinwood by the sea (San Pedro Harbor) and a picnic to LA's Collinwood (Greystone).  These are not entirely scheduled at this point but I would be happy to place you on the club's e-mail list.  Please PM me and let me know.

I do have hope that a network will pick up the show at some point.