Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0718  (Read 2128 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0718
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0718
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
They keep having interesting voiceovers these days.  There was one the other day that I noticed but didn't comment on.  I can't remember what it was.  Today the voiceover said "Barnabas sets out to discover every family secret that can help him" which I suppose is necessary for him - but how can he find out the secrets without changing what happens?  We all badmouth him for carelessly changing the past, but if there was no avoiding it, why should he even try?

Angelique indicated that she was not present in the original 1897.  She also told Barnabas that he might never return to his own century, and I thought: "What is Barnabas's own century?"  Angelique meant the 20th century, but does he feel he belongs there?

I believe it was in episode 702 that Judith declared that the reason Quentin had come home was to ruin Jamison.  I was thinking of that today, when Quentin used the boy.  Judith can't know that Quentin uses Jamison in his dealings with the occult (if she did, she would certainly take action), but I daresay she wouldn't be surprised to hear that Quentin used Jamison as a spy today.

When Evan conducted the ceremony that produced Angelique, he referred to Jamison's innocence.  Today Quentin also referred to Jamison's innocence when he was invoking Baal.  How many other times has Jamison's innocence been used, and how many more times will his innocence be used before Jamison is no longer innocent?  I'm seeing why it was necessary to write Jamison as seeming more childish than David.  If David were in Jamison's place, we wouldn't believe in his cluelessness.

Very nice job by Jonathan Frid when the chest pains hit.  It was hard to believe that he was acting.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »
I suppose the only thing that really makes the 20th century "his" is that it's where his body happens to be!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 10:39:49 PM »
The voiceover stated that Barnabas found himself alive in the ghost's own time.  Is "alive" the right word for a vampire inhabited by an astral projection? [scratch]

The tower room exchange is my favorite B & A scene.  She is so powerful in this century, and seemingly omnipresent (?)-- how DOES she know the details (David's and Chris' predicaments) of Barnabas' mission?  Great hair, too, and a new dress.  But while she believes "your love would change me; your love could make me anything you wanted me to be," in 1840, [spoiler]whether you believe him or not, his declaration of love comes after the change in her.[/spoiler]

Angelique indicated that she was not present in the original 1897.

But she didn't indicate anything!  And shortly before he asked her, she told Barnabas, "I save what I know."  Yes, I'm being stubborn. :D

If David were in Jamison's place, we wouldn't believe in his cluelessness.

I like that.  I was surprised that Jamison took Quentin's comments to mean that his uncle was under an actual curse (by Barnabas).  David, who has experienced a dream curse, would not make that mistake.  Yes, I like it a lot.

Magda sure is speedy, arriving at the cottage in what seemed like a blink of the eye.  And she is welcome to clean MY house anytime!!  Okay, so I'd lock up all valuables first.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
The voiceover stated that Barnabas found himself alive in the ghost's own time.  Is "alive" the right word for a vampire inhabited by an astral projection? [scratch]

[laugh] [laugh]  [laugh]   I read that one to my aunt!
Josette

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »
The writing for the Barnabas/Angelique scene was riveting.  I particularly liked, "not like other wives."   I should say not.
And the statement that Anglique liked and cared for David.  I don't think that she makes the connection that you should not harm the ones you love in the process of getting her goal. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
As has been said, the Barn-Ang scene is intense and well written.  Not much I can add.

The "spy school" scene gives us some interesting character insights into Quentin and Jamison.(And as an side that secret operator 819 stuff sounds like it's RIGHT off an old radio serial.  All you need is the boxtops for the secret decoder ring.)

If I recall, they never really tie up the loose end about being a police spy; we just find out later about his connection to Laura's fate, but not really where this ties in.  Again, its one of those scenes where Quentin is doing something for a bad reason, but we also see a genuine relationship with Jamison, and even as he uses him it's clear he cares for the boy.   Kind of makes you wonder what HIS childhood was like, why he sees no problem with any of this. Interesting parallel with Angelique, as a matter of fact.  Neither quite sees a problem with using even those they care for as pawns in their schemes.

Nice foreshadowing in the scene where Quentin claims he was cursed by Barnabas.  He explains that the curse he's under is the worst curse of all -- he was made poor and is being kept poor.  Hmm, as we know he's going to change his tune on that one in short order. [snow_wink]

And VERY MUCH AGREED how well JF played that scene.  The reaction was great, and the strangled, barely able to speak voice that went with it.

And our old friend the all purpose skull with eyes makes its cameo appearance..... [Skull2] [dancing_skeletons]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 06:05:16 AM »
And our old friend the all purpose skull with eyes makes its cameo appearance.....
Here's the milestone to mark the occasion! [milestone] Other obvious milestones: The first time that Barnabas and Angelique met in 1897; the first time that Barnabas's cane was used to hurt him in a voodoo spell; the first time that Angelique showed Barnabas the future. [milestone]

I loved the vision that Angelique showed Quentin, and the whole exchange between them. It was neat that Angelique knew all about Barnabas's reasons for being in 1897. And of course, just when Barnabas had questions for her, she conveniently disappeared to avoid answering him. [easter_cheesy]

I believe this might have been the first time Baal was mentioned, too. If so, here's the milestone [milestone] Indeed, Jamison was much more "innocent" and naive than David was. [easter_rolleyes] The voodoo magic was working, because Jamison knew about the silver. That was fascinating to watch; but, of course, I was concerned for Barnabas's safety. I agree that Magda did get to the cottage rather quickly.  [easter_wink]

Although the scene with the "death skull" on Quentin's face was cheesy, it was quite effective. Quentin sure changed his tune when Magda told him he would die soon!   [easter_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:17:54 AM »
Oops! I made a mistake! [signerror] Before anyone corrects me, I'll say now that I said Magda went to the cottage - but it was Quentin's room! Sorry about that. I initially assumed that Quentin and Jamison were at the cottage, because they were there before. But it became obvious to me as I watched the next episode that they were in Quentin's room.  [easter_undecided]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
Very riveting scene between Barnabas and Angelique today. He should know by now that nothing, not even fire, can keep a good witch down, as, not in those exact words, she pretty much told him.

I have to admit, I'm skeptical of her concern for David. [spoiler]  As Cassandra, she made him mute, made him one of her victims of her dream curse, screamed at him when he was getting on her nerves while she was being threatened with destruction by Nicholas... [/spoiler] Doesn't sound much to me like she was very fond of him.

Quentin really has Jamison wrapped around his finger. Jamison worships his uncle, more so than his own father. He was a bit reluctant at first to help Quentin's plot against Barnabas, but all Quentin had to say was "you're just like your father" to change his mind. Guess maybe Jamison doesn't think too much of his father, and I can't help think how much Quentin may have had a hand in that as well.

Loved Quentin's comment about how being poor was the worst curse of all. Yes indeed, he's going to learn there ARE worse curses than being poor.