Poll

How would you describe Maggie's behavior over the earrings left in her purse, her reaction to Joe's taking them from her purse, his expressed feelings about them, etc.?

Maggie acted maturely and as calmly as she could, handling Joe appropriately in response to his actions.
1 (12.5%)
Maggie acted immaturely, not concerned about where the earrings had come from, more concerned over her attraction to the earrings than enjoying a relaxed night out with Joe.
7 (87.5%)
Other (opine in topic replies)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 10, 2006, 12:16:31 AM

Author Topic: Episode 497  (Read 861 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Episode 497
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:16:31 AM »
New poll for DS forums.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Episode 497
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 06:34:58 AM »
I think they way she was acting wasn't really herself, so to say. She was bewitched by the earrings, quite literally. There wasn't a spell on them, but the earrings reminded her of her personality rape and the time she spent fighting off the persona of Josette. So in that sense, I think she acted immaturely, but not really, as she wasn't herself. (Does that make sense to anyone else?)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »
I think they way she was acting wasn't really herself, so to say. She was bewitched by the earrings, quite literally. There wasn't a spell on them, but the earrings reminded her of her personality rape and the time she spent fighting off the persona of Josette. So in that sense, I think she acted immaturely, but not really, as she wasn't herself. (Does that make sense to anyone else?)

Yep, and I agree 100%!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:37:59 AM »
The other aspect of this is how one would view Joe's behavior in this whole thing (sneaking the earrings out of her purse on his way to work to get them appraised, etc.).
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:00:41 AM »
Joe's behavior wouldn't have been thought of as unusual on a soap pre- women's liberation.  The "take-charge guy" thing wasn't politically incorrect quite yet.  Actually, you can still see versions of it on soaps today.  People go bonkers over Sonny Corinthos on GH, yet he, like Tony Soprano, is a totally reprehensible fellow in many ways, beyond his profession.  I'd certainly give Maggie a pass on her behavior because she was "bewitched," but I wouldn't blame Joe for his actions just because he wasn't.  He, in typical DS fashion, didn't know what was going on except that Maggie was acting totally out of character, as far as he was concerned.  This, in much the same way as Maggie wasn't aware of Angelique's power over Joe later on, or why his behavior was so out of character.