Author Topic: Guest Stars?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re:Guest Stars?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2003, 12:23:48 AM »
When Quentin walked up on the picnic today, for a split second I thought he was wearing a sweater. The first thing that popped into my mind was Bing Crosby.

Arashi,

Yes, I was glad to see that although Quentin was wearing a sports jacket at the picnic, he, at least, was NOT wearing a tie, especially in this heat!!!  (Somehow, I think that Mrs. Hyacinthe Bucket, that paragon of decorum and good taste, would have been appalled at seeing the Q-Man sans the necktie, even at an informal family outing.)

Today's picnic sequence was one of the few times that you don't see DS male characters formally attired.  The other day, as Quentin was ruefully telling Barnabas and Julia, about Chris Jennings' sudden departure, Barnabas had on a very conservative navy blue three-piece suit, and the Q-Man was sporting that light grey, albeit funky-looking, suit.  The clothes helped to set the right melancholy tone for that scene.

Can you imagine if Mr. B. and Quentin had been wearing a more informal and casual style of clothes in that scene?  For example, if Barnabas had been sporting loafers, knee-high socks, bright red Bermuda shorts and a loud Magnum PI Hawaiian shirt, and, Quentin had been wearing sandals, faded jeans and a psychedelic dashiki (sort of like Sebastian Shaw's shirt), the somber tone would have been impossible to achieve, IMHO.

Nevertheless, I was glad to see that Dr. Hoffman was finally out of that seemingly ubiquitous light green suit dress of hers.  She looked very smart and professional in that light grey suit dress with the wide-check pattern she had on.  Maybe we'll finally see the good doctor wearing ladies' white deck sneakers, clamdigger pants and a silk blouse before the end of this now sweltering summer?

Tastefully yours,

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport Star Fashion Editor.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2003, 12:57:00 AM »
I would have liked to have seen Tallulah Bankhead guest star on the show as Aunt Katherine (the one that David went to visit in Boston) >:D Bette Davis (because she was in all those horror, thriller-type movies in the 60's) could have played a "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" character. [crazd] Christopher Lee would have been good as a mad scientist  on DS. [crossbones]
MM

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2003, 01:05:58 AM »
I think KLS said Truman Capote, another of Joan Bennett's friends, visited the set once. He would have made an excellent Mr. Best.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2003, 01:38:56 AM »
I am shocked that so far no one has mentioned that other famous JOAN....Crawford! Wow with what we know now about her she was scarry. Although lets not forget she was in What ever happened to Baby Jane and was suppose to play the Olivia de Havilland role in Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte . Dare I mention Trog?

LdyAnne

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2003, 01:58:47 AM »
AH! Bette Davis! She would have been terribly scary if she played a role as in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. Wasn't she in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane too? That was a creepy movie as well.

And Alfred Hitchcock! It would have been fun not only to see him on the show, but to see what he would write for the show if given a chance.

Christopher Lee!! ::dies:: He would have made a particularly cool guest actor! He would *have* to play a vampire though. That makes me think of Peter Cushing. Another actor I would have loved to see.

Bob, you are too freaking funny!! I had to laugh outloud. Barnabas in a Hawaiian shirt? With black knee socks! Oh the horror! This summer did get awful all of a sudden didn't it? Where did that lovely 70 degrees go?

Chiiiiick! ::laughing:: I love Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein!! Vincent Price has the uncredited guest voice at the end as the Invisible Man.

~Arashi

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2003, 03:14:43 PM »
Personally, for me it would be Vincent Price hands down. I would have died had he ever had a guest shot on the show, however brief. As for storyline, I'm not quite sure. He could easily have played Quentin's father at least, being another handsome blue-eyed gentleman from the south. (Handsome you say? Have you ever seen House of Seven Gables or Dragonwyck? The man was damn fine in his youth).

Or Otto Preminger's Laura with Gene Tierney and Judith Anderson?
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2003, 03:17:29 PM »
I am shocked that so far no one has mentioned that other famous JOAN....Crawford! Wow with what we know now about her she was scarry. Although lets not forget she was in What ever happened to Baby Jane and was suppose to play the Olivia de Havilland role in Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte . Dare I mention Trog?

+++ Plus she did do an afternoon soap after her daughter got sick. . so scarily memorialized in the movie Mommie Dearest .. . hahahha ;D

How about Peter Lorre?  He could've been some creepy relative of Paul Stoddard's . . .Or Agnes Moorehead as Julia's older sister. . .with all her Bewitched makeup and wigs! yeah!
Julia99

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2003, 09:03:15 PM »
. . .Or Agnes Moorehead as Julia's older sister. . .with all her Bewitched makeup and wigs! yeah!

J99!!! What a wonderful idea. Not necessarily with the wigs, but A. Moorehead was a good actress. I've seen her in lots of odds & ends, of course a 'Twilight Zone'.

Yes, a nutty 3rd cousin  twice removed.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2003, 11:47:39 PM »
. . .Or Agnes Moorehead as Julia's older sister. . .with all her Bewitched makeup and wigs! yeah!
Oh this made me think what about Grayson, Agnes and I seem to recall some one mentioning Tallulah Bankhead. I envison the three playing the widows of widow's hill. They could have done a flash back showing how each one lured the other's to their death. I am not a writer but I think they could have really done something great with the three of them.
LdyAnne

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2003, 02:19:15 AM »
J99!!! What a wonderful idea. Not necessarily with the wigs, but A. Moorehead was a good actress. I've seen her in lots of odds & ends, of course a 'Twilight Zone'.

And  of course Grayson and Agnes did play sisters in the Rod Serling show, Night Gallery. . .but they didn't have any scenes together. . . And i was thinking primarily of Endora's pageboy wig. . .loved it!
Julia99

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2003, 05:27:21 AM »
So many great suggestions!

A particularly dreamy guest appearance could have been made by Ava Gardner.  Imagine a rematch between "Judith Fellowes" and "Maxine Faulk" set amidst the intrigues of Collinwood!  Perhaps Ava could have played a free-spirited mentalist who, in spite of being over the age of 25, managed to catch ol' Barney's eye, thus incurring the wrath of our favorite doctor.

I've always thought that it would have been interesting if DS had become the hip show to do, much as BATMAN had been.  Can you imagine if all of Hollywood was lining up for a chance to make a one-episode appearance in which they would be killed off? <lol>  Sort of like the opening credits of POLICE SQUAD, during which a different "special guest star" was bumped off each week.

I'm sure all will agree that the greatest coup of all would have been if DC managed to sign Garbo to make an appearance...

And, of course, the Blue Whale was the perfect forum for all sorts of musical guests, but I believe that was discussed in another thread.

Regards,

John

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2003, 05:36:18 PM »
Someone already mentioned Alfred Hitchcock, I was thinking him gueststaring as T. Elliots Stokes eccentric uncle.  "Good evening!"

How about Bela Lugosi, he would give Barnabas a run for his money.  Another cousin from England perhaps.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2003, 06:00:00 PM »
My Sicilian grandmother never learned to converse in English, despite living here for 60 years.....but she DID learn to say "Good Evening", by watching Alfred Hitchcock religiously for years!! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2003, 09:27:43 AM »
I would liked to have seen Anthony Perkins (Psycho) playing on the show.  I think he would fit in there just fine!

And how about the "mistress of the dark" herself, Elvira!  (although she may have been to young at the time of DS, not sure how old she is)  she could have been one of Angelique's eccentic cousins. [vryevl]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2003, 11:19:31 PM »
The Supremes, as Leviathan slayers by day and Blue Whale performers by night. LOL.

But seriously: Actors like Agnes Moorehead as Bathia Mapes (was Bathia Mapes the actress or the character?), Bette Davis as Grandmamama Edith, etc. would have been fab. It would have been a ratings coup and a whole lot of fun to see some big names in the three day type roles that often cropped up during the series. Julianka (Natalie Wood?), Portia Fitzsimmons, Madame Findley (Joan Crawford?), Mrs. Hopewell (Barbara Hale?), Sandy (Sally Fields?), Buzz (Michael Parks?), Michael, Garth Blackwood, and all the "ladies" Barn met at the docks...

It might be fun to make of list of these "cameo" characters from the series and fill in the blanks representing possible actors for the roles. Unfortunately, my memory isn't very good when it comes to this kind of stuff.

dom (who has less memory than a 1984 computer)

PS - I wonder if some of these "big names" could have pulled it off in DC's live-to-tape method?

PPS - This is off-thread, but it would have been great if Alexandra Moltke could have returned in the role Lara Parker had in 1970PT. That would really have messed with Barnabas' head and given the fans a real treat, not to mention AM getting to play the villan she always wanted to.