Author Topic: OT:Our Modern World-Weirder by the Minute  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OT:Our Modern World-Weirder by the Minute
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:11:12 PM »
This has nothing to do with DS, the forum, or even computers in general. But I just had to share it because I thought it was hysterically funny. Although, the reason I find it so funny is probably because I don't smoke, I don't take digital photos in the way described, I don't own a cell phone or a blackberry, I don't have business cards, I don't own an iPod, I don't socialize in chat rooms, and I don't play video games - but I do know many people who do most if not all of those things - and I've definitely been known to occasionally razz them about it - particularly when they begin to act as if life couldn't possibly go on without many of these things.  [vryevl]

So, check out: Our Modern World-Weirder by the Minute

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT:Our Modern World-Weirder by the Minute
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 10:04:20 PM »
Gee....I'm starting to wonder if you and I were separated at birth.

I don't smoke.  I was given a digital camera for Christmas, but I've never taken a single picture with it....I don't know how.  I have a cell phone because I have a kid.  No blackberry, no business cards, no iPod, no chat rooms and no video games.

Do you ever worry that some day people like us will be hunted down and confined to close quarters because we're subversives?..... >:D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:12:05 PM »
Gee....I'm starting to wonder if you and I were separated at birth.

I think we definitely share a lot in common.  ;)  But remember the Geek Quiz? I scored much higher on the geek scale than you did. As I recall, YOU barely registered at all.  :D  And even though my rating sank from Geek to Geekish Tendencies on the latest version, and your rating has probably risen at least somewhat now that you've attended at DS Fest, I suspect I'll still score as a bigger geek than you are.  [b003]

Do you ever worry that some day people like us will be hunted down and confined to close quarters because we're subversives?.....

Well, I've been a proud subversive most of my life - even before those radical Jesuits got ahold of me in high school - and I've avoided being locked up so far.  [lghy]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 05:43:33 AM »
I'm guilty of a couple of these, namely the digital camera arm stretch, the cell phone bent neck , the computer hunchover (I'm doing it right now) and the console game couch squat. Although I can't sit on the couch, the console is too far away to reach.

And while I do admit to owning an Ipod, I keep the volume down as there's nothing more obnoxious than hearing someone else's music across the store. That and I'm terrified I'll damage my hearing somehow.

I've actually thought of this idea a lot, especially when watching movies and such. What would people who were originally terrified of the Wolfman and Dracula think of modern horror movies?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »
I don't even know what a blackberry is. Well, I know it's a fruit.
I don't have any of these new fangled toys, but am in the market for a cellophone ONLY because of the distance between home and work. The idea of walking I-20 in dress shoes definately does not appeal to me.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.