Author Topic: If Port Charles Had Suceeded Might We Have Seen a New DS?  (Read 2707 times)

David

Re:If Port Charles Had Suceeded Might We Have Seen a New DS?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 07:05:34 PM »
There could be a new DS after Dan Curtis passes or retires.

Johhny Depp has said he would love to play Barnabas Collins, and both Stephen King & Tim Burton claim DS as among their childhood influences.

Look how often Dracula, Frankenstein, & Jekyll & Hyde get redone, again and again. In the future, I think there will be a DS fan in the film industry who'll remake it.

Accomplice_To_Cass

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2003, 12:28:18 AM »
Johhny Depp has said he would love to play Barnabas Collins, and both Stephen King & Tim Burton claim DS as among their childhood influences.

I doubt Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, and Stephen King would want to work on a Dark Shadows tv series. Maybe they could be involved in a DS mini-series or maybe even a movie.  >:D

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2003, 02:07:05 AM »
As for daytime soaps, their ratings are eroding constantly, and I doubt they will all be on the air in 10 -15 years from now.
Industry insiders say that the demise of the soap is actually probably less than five years away. That's why shows like Days of Our Lives are killing off major characters--to get the high-dollar people off the payroll as a means of survival.

But the real reason the form is dying is because the writing generally sucks and is totally manipulative, unnatural and silly. And casting directors tend to cast genetic masterpieces as opposed to people who are pretty much good looking, but who can actually act--like DS did all those years ago.

Port Charles probably also failed because it was against--in most markets--The Young & The Restless, TV's top-rated soap.

Passions--Spike's favorite soap--is also big with the supernatural storylines--but, oddly enough, now that PC is canceled, it is TV's lowest rated soap.

If soaps do go the wayside, the producers and writers have no one to blame but themselves, for they are the ones killing off the audience.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

David

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2003, 02:18:06 AM »
For Scout: if they don't get back to stories with heart & substance, the genre will indeed die. Passions is cute, and I like it, but I doubt it'll last.
I think DS will always have a following among horror fans, because it has heart!
And because the 1795 & 1897 stories are brilliant and scary.

For Lite Shadows: a movie is what I meant!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2003, 05:34:11 AM »
for most of the soaps they have become so boring! been there,done that a million times. they need new writers and new blood or they will die out
if i'm home in the day now i'd rather a rerun of Law and Order than
Vicki on OLTL become Nicki again!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Accomplice_To_Cass

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2003, 08:58:51 PM »
For Lite Shadows: a movie is what I meant!

Ooh, sorry, I missed the last part of your post.  [sun]