Author Topic: On Taking Up Residence in Collinsport  (Read 2018 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: On Taking Up Residence in Collinsport
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
After the original build (which Barn describes so graphically to Vicki) was finished, some later Collinses could have added wings and annexes and so on that we never see.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
I assume the servants were on the third floor. But was there enough room on the second floor for everybody else??  There needed to be rooms for:  the family (5 rooms?--Joshua/Naomi, Aunt Abigail, Jeremiah, Barnabas, Sarah); the du Pres family (3 rooms?--Andre, Natalie, Josette); the cousins from New York (2 rooms?--Millicent, Daniel). That's 10 rooms!! Even if we assume some doubling up, like Jeremiah/Barnabas, Natalie/Millicent (yeah, right), that would be 8 rooms, which I don't think would fit on the second floor, at least going by the sizes of the rooms we did see.

I don't believe (them being wealthy) that Joshua & Naomi would have shared a room.

Also, I would have thought the servants were on bottom floor ...don't I remember something about Stokes being in a basement-y type room....(FDSMS strikes).

Couldn't some of these visitors have stayed in the various cottages on estate? Although, I personally don't think they existed in 1700s.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 06:29:20 AM »
In those instances when they showed Angelique in her room, I definitely had the idea that it was upstairs somewhere.
Josette

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
Yes, Josette. The ceiling of Angelique's room is slanted, which means that it must have been under the very eaves of the roof. Before the 1795 story, we see Willie's room, which I think is also in the same spot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
Servants' quarters usually were on the top floor of large houses.