Author Topic: Today's Montage 1972  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Today's Montage 1972
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
Vicki & Barn walking (hmm...HATE that 'nouveux' vamps can 'deal' w/sunshine)...Barn asks Vicki, "Do you believe him (David), that she (Laura) speaks to him?"

Was this scene in the edited (released) movie? I've seen it about 4 times now, and sorry to say, this particular line is eluding me.

What's Vicki's answer?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Montage 1972
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »
It's a line you would've heard, Patti.  Vicki's response will appear in the slideshow momentarily.  [ghost_smiley]

Vampires in classic fiction were able to walk in daylight as well.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
And don't forget that Julia had started "treating" Barnabas, so that would probably allow him to begin tolerating limited amounts of sunlight (note that he must remain pretty much covered up, wear dark sun glasses and shade himself with an umbrella).

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »

....such as???

Classic fiction...Vincent Price/Christopher Lee, or written works?

Midnite...thou dost pique my interest  [ghost_wink]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »
In Bram Stoker's classic novel Dracula, the count was able to tolerate limited time during the daylight hours.  In Francis Ford Coppula's film treatment, the count was also seen, on occasion, in daylight, but like Barnabas in DS12, he was heavily covered in clothing and hat and wore sunglasses.  It was during one of his quick daytime sojourns that he met Mina, the reincarnation of his beloved from centuries past who committed suicide by jumping to her death.  Sounds vaguely familiar, doesn't it?

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
And don't forget that Julia had started "treating" Barnabas, so that would probably allow him to begin tolerating limited amounts of sunlight (note that he must remain pretty much covered up, wear dark sun glasses and shade himself with an umbrella).

after multiple viewings i'm still confused on this point...

[spoiler]was Julia actually "treating" barnabas at all? I mean we learn towards the end of the film that she was using his blood to make herself young. so was she actually doing anything to change his physical condition or was it just a ruse to gain access to his blood? remember he tells her he doesn't feel like he's changing?[/spoiler]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
....such as???

The Vampyre, Varney the Vampire, Carmilla, and as Gerard mentioned, Dracula.  It was the movies, starting I think with Nosferatu, that introduced the perils of any exposure to sunlight.

[spoiler]was Julia actually "treating" barnabas at all? I mean we learn towards the end of the film that she was using his blood to make herself young. so was she actually doing anything to change his physical condition or was it just a ruse to gain access to his blood? remember he tells her he doesn't feel like he's changing?[/spoiler]

I'm with you that it was all a ruse.  (Though was she making herself young, or just halting the aging process?)  And Barnabas' comment to Julia, btw, will appear in the slide show toward the end of the month.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
MichaelC, I absolutely love this interjection!!!!

Hooray, and hey, curse you!! :)

So,  Nosferatu was the first mentioning of a vampire not going into the 'Son/Sun' light (y'all do know, it's a 'play' on words)?

i'mashedtoadmiti'veneverreadtheoriginaldracula

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:14:01 AM »
I have this vague but persistent memory of van Helsing saying that a vampire could appear in the sun at noontime.  It is confusing because earlier on, Harker sees Dracula "sleeping" in his coffin in the crypt of the Castle.  There is a clear urgency for the vampire to seek the refuge of his coffin (AND his original burial soil) before daybreak.

There was an episode in the 1897 storyline in DS where Barn went to his coffin at dawn (in the basement of the Old House) and something happened and then he was running around for quite sometime after the sun had presumably risen though we never saw him confronting daylight.  I think this was simply the result of sloppy scripting and production but it always bemuses me when it comes up.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
Patti, if you've never read Stoker's Dracula, it's well worth a look. Pretty scary stuff. I remember the Louis Jourdain Dracula (shown on PBS in the 1980s, I think) as being excellent too.

There is that part in 1897 where Barn is running around after dawn. He also needs a bit of earth from the Old House, although that is never mentioned before or after.

I've seen only one or two of the Price/Lee movies, but they were pretty strict about the no-daylight thing.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
He also needs a bit of earth from the Old House, although that is never mentioned before or after.

Which is a good thing because it was all rather odd considering that Barnabas was never buried in the ground and he wasn't initially buried in the Old House's basement - he was buried in the secret room of the mausoleum.  [ghost_huh]  But hey, I suppose it made from some exciting moments on the show.  [ghost_wink]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »
I've never cared for the modern notion of vampires burning up in daylight (especially the bursting into flames, which seems to have started with Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark--at least that's the first I noticed it). If daylight is so fatal, then why would Barnabas have fretted so much and wanted Ben Stokes to stake him back in 1795? Why didn't Barnabas just stay outside past his bedtime?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:49 PM »
That's a very good question. Though there are other vamps on DS that are destroyed by the sunlight.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
In at least two of Hammer's Karnstein trilogy, Carmilla is out and about during the day.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »
If daylight is so fatal, then why would Barnabas have fretted so much and wanted Ben Stokes to stake him back in 1795? Why didn't Barnabas just stay outside past his bedtime?

I'm thinking it would hurt too much.  Better for a quick stake or silver bullet.

Gerard