Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1021  (Read 1194 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1021
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
Robservations #1021

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1021

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
Who did the closing "Dark Shadows has been a Dan Curtis Production"?  That's the first time in almost three years!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
Selby VO.  So why is Barnabas so suspicious of Cyrus, in Buffie's room?  Just a diversion to take suspicion away from himself?  No, since he questions Buffie about the Cy-Yaeger connection.  Barnabas MUST know more about Yaeger.  Why?  Did I miss something?  I thought Barnabas's problem was getting home.  Oh, the Loomises talked about the guy in the basement.  Barnabas wants to know if his secret will be given away by him.  I'd appreciate the occasional reminder in the script as to who wants what, and why.

Barnabas fully enjoys Buffie, with no guilt whatsoever.  I have to say, no one seems especially anxious to portray Barnabas as one of the good guys at this point.  Is there some idea amongst men that a barmaid is more "up for grabs", requiring less justification for mistreatment?  I really don't get my own species, much less my own gender.  That's why I ask.  That'd be a great "thank you" for bringing you beers...

Angelique is now a total witch.  She says a few words, waves her hand, presto, dead flowers.  Her dependence on Hannah has been erased from the story.  Little did she know that there was someone living on the estate who could have done that with no spell...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »
Joey, I've always wondered about that! I assume it was a network announcer rather than someone on the show.

Yes, it's too bad about Buffie. She already had enough to deal with before Barn put the bite on her. He's had about 175 years to hone his self-preservation skills and gets out his predicament pretty easily. He gets Cyrus to believe he was on this street for some other reason and sends him packing, then tells Buffie to avoid Cyrus. She enthusiastically agrees.

Quentin is wearing a royal blue sports jacket that must have set female hearts aflutter back in 1970. One wonders how PT Collinsport Enterprises keeps going, since he stays home whenever he's arguing with Maggie.

Quentin goes to answer a knock at the door. The visitor is Cyrus. Bursting into the foyer, he starts, I have the results of the autopsy-- but he is struck speechless when he sees Quentin’s beautiful wife holding a bouquet of lovely flowers. Suddenly clutching his hands, he manages to compliment her on the flowers without looking directly at her. I can tell you want to talk with Quentin alone, she says graciously, and gives Cyrus a smile before she takes herself off upstairs, leaving the flowers on the foyer table. Cyrus turns back to look at her as he follows Quentin into the drawing room, and takes in a last glimpse of her going upstairs as he shuts the drawing-room doors. He tells Quentin, The autopsy showed the cause of death was indeterminate--except for one incredible thing: Horace Chase’s [what he says] body temperature was extremely low--as if he had frozen to death.

Of course Quentin and Cyrus don't even notice the dead flowers after Ange has frozen them to death--at least not until uentin turns to go back to the drawing room, then stops in his tracks as he notices the dead flowers. Maggie returns downstairs at the same time and is equally surprised. Then “Alexis” arrives with the vase. She pretends disappointment, saying, How pretty the flowers looked when _Maggie_ was holding them only a few moments ago. Quentin looks vaguely troubled, but Angelique is smirking.

It's one o'clock when Cyrus returns, supposedly to make sure that Buffie is all right. She gives him the brushoff, saying she’s really busy. There was a time, Cyrus comments, when I thought you found my company more enjoyable. Do you find _Barnabas Collins_ interesting? I’m really busy, Buffie insists. Just as Cyrus is about to go out the door, she asks, Have you heard from John Yaeger? Do you miss him? Cyrus asks. Oh, I was just curious, she answers. I haven’t heard from him, Cyrus answers with a strange smile as he departs, but if I do, you’ll be the first to know. She’s admiring the punctures on her neck when the man who put them there suddenly materializes. How do you know about John Yaeger? Barnabas asks. She turns around to find Barnabas standing there, so presumably it’s 1:00 a.m., not 1:00 p.m.

Barn is suprised to learn that Cyrus and Yaeger are acquainted. Buffie says, The doctor knows Yaeger better than anyone. Yaeger helped Dr. Longworth with his experiments. I bet he can tell you where Yaeger is right now. It would please you to know that, wouldn’t it? Barnabas asks. I never want to see Yaeger again, Buffie assures him hastily. I want to see Yaeger as soon as possible, Barnabas says. (You’ll remember that Yaeger came within an ace of opening Barnabas’s coffin in the basement of Loomis House.) Despite his earlier order that Buffie should stay away from Cyrus, now he wants Buffie to find out all she can about Yaeger from him. He warns her to make sure Yaeger doesn’t learn their secret, but he must find Yaeger.

Back at Collinwood, "Alexis" comments to Maggie that isn't it interesting that Quentin is insisting that Angelique wasn't murdered. Is it because he did it? But I would NEVER suggest that Quentin murdered Angelique, oh no precious, not at all, so you must forget I ever said anything about it. Maggie agrees almost mechanically, and “Alexis” takes the opportunity to reiterate that Angelique was Quentin’s wife, and he loved her, so he couldn’t have killed her. Not if he loved her--could he? Maggie shakes her head no, but she is full of doubt now.

Later that evening (must be 3:00 a.m. by now), Buffie has asked Cyrus over. He is a bit surprised at her invitation. She says she wants to apologize for blowing him off so rudely earlier. She has some things that Yaeger gave her but that she wants to give back to him. Does Cyrus have his address? So it’s John Yaeger that you’ve been thinking about, Cyrus notes. Only to give his things back and then forget about him, Buffie says. Are you really sure you don’t want to see Yaeger again? Cyrus asks. Yes, answers Buffie, could you please tell me where he is? With another strange smile Cyrus answers, I have the feeling, Miss Harrington, a very distinct feeling, that if you wait long enough you will be seeing John Yeager fairly soon. After he leaves, Buffie reflects, He knows more than he’s telling me--I’m sure of that. Why is he protecting Yeager? I’ve got to try again.

Even later, Maggie is finally tucked in bed but not having pleasant dreams at all. In fact, Angelique has caused her to see the famous séance. As Maggie watches, spellbound, Quentin rises from his place at the table and starts to strangle Angelique. Someone off camera starts screaming, Murder! Murder! Maggie wakes, sits bolt upright and screams, No, Quentin! No! She was your wife! She was your wife!...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 01:37:42 AM »
Angelique steps her plans to wreck Maggie and Quentin's marriage. No argument: Quentin should definitely have told Maggie about this. There would have been fallout from this even without Angelique's doings.
And Cyrus is now infatuated with Maggie. This won't go well.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »
 Angelique comes in with arm loads of mums and they will soon be as dead as she is. Cyrus reveals that Larry froze to death and where are the police to question people as how you freeze to death in the foyer at Collinwood.
The huge emphasis on Buffy's TV seems like a product placement for Admiral, but more likely a statement that only low class people watch TV in Collinsport PT.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »
The huge emphasis on Buffy's TV seems like a product placement for Admiral, but more likely a statement that only low class people watch TV in Collinsport PT.

Hmm, usually they have covered up name brands (as on the box of rice that Elizabeth is holding after Carolyn marries Jeb). Maybe only low-class people in PT Collinsport still have black-and-white TVs.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
I'm sure I've noticed this before (how could I miss it?!) but it wasn't until watching this ep this time around that it really hit me that Buffie has a Raggedy Ann doll stuck up in one of the sconces in her living room:

Who decorates that way?! It would be bad enough if it was displayed like that in her bedroom - but in her living room?! But then, Buffie has made more than a couple "interesting" decorating choices:

What the hell is that hanging under the other sconce?!  [snow_shocked]

Who did the closing "Dark Shadows has been a Dan Curtis Production"?  That's the first time in almost three years!
Joey, I've always wondered about that! I assume it was a network announcer rather than someone on the show.

It sounded like the same man who did it back in 1966/67.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
Well spotted, MB! I suspect Buffie had a difficult and perhaps abusive childhood--it certainly would explain her bad choices in men. The Raggedy Ann doll might have been her only comfort when she was growing up. Looks like a little lady mouse doll on the mantel. That cat(?) pic under the opposite sconce? No idea.