Author Topic: Cache for Cookies  (Read 814 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Cache for Cookies
« on: June 30, 2003, 05:59:44 PM »
So...occassionally I notice the main page, black w/white lettering...it says be sure you clean your cache (is that like deleting cookies??) or you'll continue to see this page.
So I did this at work; still the black & white page.

What do y'all see?

I daren't clean my at home; I might not be able to get in again/still/more.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Cache for Cookies
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 07:03:29 PM »
I clean out my cache every few weeks, including cookies (I always make sure to write down passwords), but I get that same page, too.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Cache for Cookies
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 08:56:34 PM »
So...occassionally I notice the main page, black w/white lettering...it says be sure you clean your cache (is that like deleting cookies??) or you'll continue to see this page.
So I did this at work; still the black & white page.

That notice is up just so people are continually reminded that we're still adding new features and errors are bound to come up from time to time as we incorporate those new features into the forum.

Normally that notice page is only up temporarily until a problem has been resolved. People who use IE would need to clear their browser's caches to get back into the forum because IE doesn't normally update a Web page located at the same URL even if the contents of that page has completely changed. But in this instance clearing your cache won't change anything because that page will be up for an indefinite amount of time until at least a point when we've been able to install all of the features on this SE version of YaBB that we had on the SP version. ;)

However, clearing your cache and deleting cookies are two totally different things. Clearing your cache is a good thing to get in the habit of doing on a regular basis. Clearing the forum's cookie isn't something one would need to do unless one runs into problems staying logged in.

I daren't clean my at home; I might not be able to get in again/still/more.

You really should clear your browser's cache on your home computer because the files it in could literally be needlessly wasting megabytes of space on your hard drive. (Check out reply #5 in "DS Boards "Offline" ??", currently on page 13 of this board if you need detailed instructions on how to clear IE's cache.)